Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Garmin - BMW Motorrad Navigator IV - No PC connection

BMW Motorrad Navigator IV - No PC connection

1. BMW Motorrad Navigator 4 B0924-99
    2. Device is not bricked but I can't connect to PC
    3. I verify all hardware connectios - mini USB socket sodering and I verify the USB cable connected to mini USB and all connections are ok. Also I verify with 3 different cables.
    4-5. When I connect to PC the device start charging but PC not detect any device. Also in software page device did't detect any usb cable.
    6. I have installed the Garmin drivers.
    7. Yes I know the HWID
    8. I did't know how to enter in pre-boot mode and all further procedure I can't try.

Please help with any advice to repair pc connection.

2.    Advertissements

Important User Garmin - BMW Motorrad Navigator IV - No PC connection
    Garmin - BMW Motorrad Navigator IV - No PC connectionGarmin - BMW Motorrad Navigator IV - No PC connection

Have you tried a hard reset? Sometimes that will work to fix strange behaviors. [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

I think the Navigator IV is basically a zumo 660 with a different HWID and in a custom mount but I haven't checked to be sure of that.

Despite no physical damage of the USB socket connections to the PCB, some devices can be still operable in other ways but lack Mass Storage Mode access so are 'partly bricked' nonetheless. In such a case you can try to access a preboot mode by holding the battery symbol for about 5-6 seconds to show the hidden menu page and then connect to PC. If that works it will be visible in Windows Device Manager under 'GARMIN Devices' as 'Garmin USB GPS' and then it'll keep that preboot state indefinitely to allow re-flash of standard firmware or flash cure firmware via Updater.exe.

If that doesn't work, it may use the same method of accessing preboot for zumo 660:

1. Turn off the navigator (Some bricked units won't turn off normally so if necessary just force it off by holding the power button for between 10 and 30 seconds as required).
    2. Press the LOWER left corner of the screen (Most devices are TOP left, zumo 660 and some others are lower left).
    3. Turn on the navigator by pressing the power button still holding the lower left corner of the screen. You can also try by holding screen and connecting to the PC which should both power it on and attain preboot mode).

The device will only stay in preboot for a short time by this method. The best procedure is to have an RGN file already opened in Updater.exe ready to flash immediately the device details appear in Updater.exe's GUI.

Navigator IV looks like a zumo 660 but it not react like zumo to pre-boot mode. Navigator IV have the mini-usb under the battery cover and the cover have an magnet inside. With the cover removed the device after start have the "close battery door" message on screen. When connect the usb cable the device start but PC did't recognize the connected device.
    I try all possibilities to put in pre-boot mode but I have no results. Only react of PC with very short time is when the cable is connected and I push the power button for more then 5 seconds.
    I think the only way to recover the device is to find the exact procedure to put in pre-boot. Also I don't know where to find the RGN file for this model.

Anyway, many thanks for all advices.

Garmin - BMW Motorrad Navigator IV - No PC connectionGarmin - BMW Motorrad Navigator IV - No PC connection

Sorry, I've checked further. BMW Navigator IV and zumo 660 are actually identical hardware and accordingly they have the same HWID 0924. They use the same firmware and attaining preboot is also the same. You can read this thread about similar problems for a zumo 660 getting into pre-boot: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]. That user finally succeeded after multiple methods and attempts.

If you haven't got an RGN file then you cannot flash in pre-boot using Updater.exe. Any GCD or EXE version of firmware can't be flashed that way. I think you need to back up a bit and get things right from the start and I would try initially to re-flash ORIGINAL firmware before you try a modified Cure firmware. That may fix your problem but only if it's due to faulty firmware. If a problem relates to a corrupt file stopping the device booting that's what Cure firmware is for, it allows bypass of loading files on boot and attaining Mass Storage Mode to delete files in MSM or to reformat it. You don't have that situation as your device boots up fully. If you wish to try reloading standard firmware then follow this:

1. Make an RGN file from the GUPDATE.GCD file [to find it, use an extraction soft like Universal Extractor/7-Zip/WinRar etc to extract "BMWMotorradNavigatorIV_350.exe". Look inside the folder named 'zumo' for another named 'Garmin' and in there is the GCD file]. If you need the GCD then go here to get the EXE:
    Code:
    Please Login or Register to see the links
    2. Open the GCD in RGN_Tool and press the RGN button:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

3. Name the RGN file only as 092401000350.rgn (no other naming is safe).

4. Open the RGN in Updater.exe and enable the radio button next to USB Device:

5. Now place the device into pre-boot and immediately the window is populated press OK or hit Enter. Keep holding until flash is finished.

There is a very big possibility that there's a problem on the PCB or the USB socket which is why there's no connection to PC. If you cannot get into either pre-boot or MSM then that's likely the problem. No software method can fix a hardware problem of course.

Other considerations:
    • Use only a rear USB port on PC.
    • Although you've tried 3 different cables try more, sometimes even Garmin branded cables can be finicky.
    • Move the USB plug gently around in the socket to see if the PC suddenly recognizes it in MSM (listen for the Windows ding connection sound). Unless you've reflowed the USB soldering to the board it's quite possible there is a microscopic break in a connection. You've said it was seen briefly by the PC once.
    • Carefully inspect the USB socket for a bent or broken pin.

The symptom of charging but not having any PC recognition is highly indicative of damaged USB socket/board connection.

Thanks for advices, now I have the GUPDATE.GCD file, but I can't find a good link to download the RGNTool.

Available here:
    Code:
    Please Login or Register to see the links

Wikispaces is in maintenance....

You owe me a beer (or thirty)
    Spoiler:

Many thanks, and many beers
    Now I have a device that is recognize in device manager like GARMIN device.
    I read the "How to unbrick a nuvi device and I think the next step is to use the RMPrepUSB to format device memory.
    The question is what to do with the SD Card, it is necessary to take out or to format with the SD Card inside.
    More

To show in Device Manager it must be in pre-boot mode so please say what else you did before we go further. Have you flashed firmware and if so was it original or Cure? To be able to reformat you need to have Mass Storage Mode anyway. Does it also now get recognized in MSM, or only in pre-boot?