Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

Default Problems after reflashing Nuvi 68LM

Hi to all.

Tried to patch Nuvi 68. All works fine until I save the patched gdc file into rgn format. If I check that XXX01000YYY.rgn file in RGN_Tool again it gives me an error: unsupported section identifier XXX.
    When I tried to upload that rgn file trough Garmin Uploader anyway, it starts OK but then it stops and gives me an error, and quits. I think that it hits that unsupported identifier thing (maybe I am wrong). After that the unit was bricked until I used the GarminCure3 and managed to make it reboot again and used Garmin express to go back to original firmware (big thanks to all the experts here for their posts).

The only problem now is that all the images, buttons and icons on this Nuvi 68LM are missing. GPS display is full of little red squares with the words "GIR Mem Low" (no idea what that means) on the background and "Image Not Found" where icons supposed to be. However, touching the screen in the places where buttons should be works fine, just need to guess where to push...
    And no, I did not do the backup of NonVol (very stupid of me) and I think that probably is the problem.

Is there any solution to this? After reading hundreds of posts already, I could not find any hints for this problem, but I got an impression that we have some magic workers on this forum.

Any suggestions or can you point me to any possible solutions, please...

Thanks
    Last edited by Goga; 26th June 2017 at 07:07 AM.

2.    Advertissements

GPSPower Helper Problems after reflashing Nuvi 68LM
    Problems after reflashing Nuvi 68LM

Quote Originally Posted by Goga View Post
    Hi to all.

Tried to patch Nuvi 68. All works fine until I save the patched gdc file into rgn format. If I check that XXX01000YYY.rgn file in RGN_Tool again it gives me an error: unsupported section identifier XXX.
    When I tried to upload that rgn file trough Garmin Uploader anyway, it starts OK but then it stops and gives me an error, and quits. I think that it hits that unsupported identifier thing (maybe I am wrong). After that the unit was bricked until I used the GarminCure3 and managed to make it reboot again and used Garmin express to go back to original firmware (big thanks to all the experts here for their posts).

The only problem now is that all the images, buttons and icons on this Nuvi 68LM are missing. GPS display is full of little red squares with the words "GIR Mem Low" (no idea what that means) on the background and "Image Not Found" where icons supposed to be. However, touching the screen in the places where buttons should be works fine, just need to guess where to push...
    And no, I did not do the backup of NonVol (very stupid of me) and I think that probably is the problem.

Is there any solution to this? After reading hundreds of posts already, I could not find any hints for this problem, but I got an impression that we have some magic workers on this forum.

Any suggestions or can you point me to any possible solutions, please...

Thanks
    Try Hard Reset

Try to flash an older version hopefully it will cause a hard reset on first boot.
    Last edited by dasilvarsa; 26th June 2017 at 10:47 AM.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
    Albert Einstein.

Thanks for your reply.
    Can you point me to where I can get an older version of 68 software (HWID 2088)? I tried to use the link for new 450 version by changing it 440 or 430 but it did not work. Is there an archive of those somewhere?
    Just to be on the safe side, how many SW versions should I go back?
    Last edited by Goga; 26th June 2017 at 08:43 PM.

Thanks for your reply.
    Can you point me to where I can get an older version of 68 software (HWID 2088)? I tried to use the link for new 450 version by changing it 440 or 430 but it did not work. Is there an archive of those somewhere?
    Just to be on the safe side, how many SW versions should I go back?
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Try to go back to the previous version
    Albert Einstein.

Thank you dasilvarsa, it worked.
    You are amazing!

Now, what is your expert opinion: should I try to patch it again, or that will end the same way as before...?

Thank you dasilvarsa, it worked.
    You are amazing!

Now, what is your expert opinion: should I try to patch it again, or that will end the same way as before...?
    For Now I would not patch it again for obvious reasons.
    We don't know if anyone else has patched a nuvi 68 correctly.
    Albert Einstein.

OK then. Thanks again, dasilvarsa.

If someone out-there has patched successfully Nuvi 68LM, how did you do it?
    Did you get the same problems with Uploader as I did?
    Are there any alternative ways for patching besides using Uploader and pre-boot?
    I have seen some posts before about patching using SD card, is that possible?

I would really appreciate your help with this. I am sure that we can figure this one out.

Thank you again!