Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

ok - thanks Neil - I'll be waiting for your update.
    Cheers,
    Itay

2.    Advertissements

Navigation software Moderator kunix's Avatar

This can work, actually, as the loading addresses of fw_all.bin's are the same. Region 0x88 can be safely removed from the firmware.

Garmin/GPS Systems GMod. convert Garmin Edge Explore 1000 to Edge 1000
    convert Garmin Edge Explore 1000 to Edge 1000convert Garmin Edge Explore 1000 to Edge 1000convert Garmin Edge Explore 1000 to Edge 1000convert Garmin Edge Explore 1000 to Edge 1000convert Garmin Edge Explore 1000 to Edge 1000convert Garmin Edge Explore 1000 to Edge 1000convert Garmin Edge Explore 1000 to Edge 1000

Thanks mate, that much i know. But my concern is that because region 136/0x88 is presently populated on his Edge 1000 Explore and yet is absent from the intended flash. In other words, if 0x88 remains populated when it's converted to Edge 1000 is there going to be a problem if it should in fact be empty or have different content? That's why i asked if we should erase it in his current Explore. If it's unused in Edge 1000 then i suppose it can remain populated and not be a problem. But what if 0x88 in Edge 1000 does in fact have content?

Or am i jumping at shadows?
    'Thanking Posts' are banned. To thank someone, and/or to see hidden links and content, use the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] button below left of the helpful post then refresh your browser [F5 key]. 'Thanking Posts' are banned.
    Please don't spam. Posts serving no purpose other than to thank or to ask about hidden links are trashed or deleted, it's GPSPower's policy. Please don't spam.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] should make their first post as a new Intro Thread in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

Navigation software Moderator kunix's Avatar

0x88 is only used for debugging purposes It can be safely removed.

convert Garmin Edge Explore 1000 to Edge 1000convert Garmin Edge Explore 1000 to Edge 1000convert Garmin Edge Explore 1000 to Edge 1000convert Garmin Edge Explore 1000 to Edge 1000convert Garmin Edge Explore 1000 to Edge 1000convert Garmin Edge Explore 1000 to Edge 1000convert Garmin Edge Explore 1000 to Edge 1000

Thanks kunix.

@irousso
    Firstly backup region41 for safety if it's possible in Edge Explore: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]. Please take the time to do that before going further.

Here's hybrid firmware as an RGN with flashing instructions:
    Spoiler:
    Remember this is solely at your own risk. I don't have an Edge Explore to check this on but if there is a problem we should be able to flash back to full Explore firmware because we're maintaining it's HWID as 2204. We're using the Explore's native boot.bin not that of Edge 1000 so there's a chance that Edge 1000's firmware won't be successfully initiated.

Extract [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] to find folder 'Updater'. Open that folder then drag '220401000700.rgn' onto updater.exe. That will open updater.exe's GUI, select the radio button next to 'USB Device' then leave the GUI open and visible on your PC's desktop. Put your Edge Explore into preboot mode, it should be reached by pressing and keep holding Lap/Reset button. Connect USB cable to a REAR USB port of your PC and then to your device while maintaining pressure on the Lap/Reset button and watching the window to the right of 'USB Device' on the GUI. When the device details appear in the window immediately click 'OK' on the GUI or hit Enter key of your PC keyboard. If there's a message saying it's the same or lower software version than presently just loaded click thru it. Keep holding the button until Updater reports that it's successfully flashed the device. Let it boot and hopefully it will now function as an Edge 1000 with those additional features lacking in Explore.
    'Thanking Posts' are banned. To thank someone, and/or to see hidden links and content, use the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] button below left of the helpful post then refresh your browser [F5 key]. 'Thanking Posts' are banned.
    Please don't spam. Posts serving no purpose other than to thank or to ask about hidden links are trashed or deleted, it's GPSPower's policy. Please don't spam.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] should make their first post as a new Intro Thread in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

Thanks Neil,
    I will give it a go this coming weekend as I think I need to clearly read all the info particularly for the backup...
    Itay

Neil - could you please give me instructions on how to revert back to the original firmware in case the conversion won't work?
    Thanks!
    Itay

Save the original Explore V3.00 fw as an RGN file [use [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] to save the GCD as an RGN named 220401000300.rgn] then flash with updater.exe in preboot mode.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

I can't get the device into preboot mode. You said "Put your Edge Explore into preboot mode, it should be reached by pressing and keep holding Lap/Reset button" I tried to press it when the device is off - nothing happened, when the device is on as well as pressing it during booting of the device... am I doing something wrong?
    Itay
    Last edited by irousso; 30th March 2016 at 07:19 PM.

Info on preboot mode for Garmin devices is here: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] and this is what it says for Edge:
    Pre-Boot for navigators Edge:
    before connecting the Edge USB press and hold (keep it pressed) Lap/Reset button
    Your Explore is the exact same hardware as 1000 so preboot method should be the same, but i can't confirm without an actual device. So is that what you did? Holding the button [with unit fully OFF]? Then connect to PC which should power it on but put it into preboot.