Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Hi, I'm planning a trip by car from Norway to Alicante,ES the next weks and thought I could get my Streetpilot 2720 updated with newer maps..Downloaded CN 2016.20 installed it in my Garmin folder, run it in Mapsource 6.13. and everything crashed....had a lot of maps in the Gamin folder .. usa, atl, europe and more ....no ones comes up...
    To make it easy for me..can someone please upload a set of open maps covering the route...Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Germany, Austria, Italy, Andora, Belgium, Holland to give max upload size of 1,7 or1,8 Gb incl. a newer that Mapsource 6.13.7 or newer that will work.. I will then try to get that onto a 2 - 4GB memory stick and transfer it directly to my 2720 .....If You have any detailed tips on who I should do this ....please let me know ..... 28 Hours on the computer now trying to get this done...I'm knackered :-(

Regards
    Nordicgreybeard
    Last edited by nordicgreybeard; 18th March 2016 at 06:06 PM.

2.    Advertissements

Please note that the StreetPilot 2720 is not suitable to be used with NT type maps.
    Further, the internal memory of this device can only hold 750 MB of data.
    Using this device on your trip is already a challenge in its own...
    To avoid clutter, please don't leave any "Thank You" posts but use the Xlosbkb button or the LIKE this post ↑ link instead
    (found at the lower left hand side of any post)
    To see hidden download links, use the same LIKE this post ↑ link and hit F5 on the keyboard to refresh the page.
    Report broken download links by using the ADYp6au button at the lower left hand corner of that post.

Garmin/GPS Systems GMod. How to update maps on a street pilot 2720
    How to update maps on a street pilot 2720How to update maps on a street pilot 2720How to update maps on a street pilot 2720How to update maps on a street pilot 2720How to update maps on a street pilot 2720How to update maps on a street pilot 2720How to update maps on a street pilot 2720

Quote Originally Posted by smokefree View Post
    Please note that the StreetPilot 2720 is not suitable to be used with NT type maps.
    That's for sure the official line from Garmin for StreePilots generally. SP 26x0 and earlier certainly can't use NT therefore they remain limited to OF [Old Format non-NT, none issued after 2009] so better now to use free OSM for them. In my experience 27x0 can handle modern NT mapping just fine quite despite Garmin now stating on many NT map pages that StreetPilot models [without distinction] are no longer compatible with NT maps. I have a North American 2720LM and can still update it with MapUpdater or MapInstall but nowhere near all of NA will fit of course.

nordicgreybrad [aka 'knackered'] Biggest problem and challenge maybe is your previous attempt to use MapSource for compiling an img file from a modern NT gmap folder. The algorithm in MS for building img files is simply often no longer up to making NT images, mostly it will compile the image but you may get routing errors or even freezing or crashing of the device. Switch to MapInstall but you should get some sleep first i reckon, lol. [my gratuitous advice is worth what i charge for it ... ]. [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] and [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

If you want to go down the direct img-loading path, read this thread carefully again. I'm aware you posted in here [#6, #11] about 5 years back and it seems your 2720 is an NA model. Regardless, i believe your best way is to build the image yourself with MapInstall and then send it directly to the 2720 as the supplementary map. You may want to get rid of any existing primary map first to create maximum available space for the supplementary map because that should give you much more than the ~750MB normally available over and above that which is limited by an existing primary detail map. Although they are contained in different regions [primary is in 49 and supp in 10], those regions share space on 27x0 and similar units. So deleting one of the two detail images will give you more space for the other. More reading here: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ], from Page 4 onwards. Another way to flash an img file to these units is as an RGN file with updater.exe which is mostly useful for changing the basemap in region 3 [hex 03] from Americas>Atlantic, for example. See [Only registered and activated users can see links. ], but that method can also be used for detail maps. Be aware that RGN files are flashed to regions as hex rather than dec, so dec 10 = hex 0A and dec 49 = hex 31 for example. Seek more advice if you wish to be adventurous with that, but i say again you're best to use MapInstall and build a supp map yourself.
    'Thanking Posts' are banned. To thank someone, and/or to see hidden links and content, use the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] button below left of the helpful post then refresh your browser [F5 key]. 'Thanking Posts' are banned.
    Please don't spam. Posts serving no purpose other than to thank or to ask about hidden links are trashed or deleted, it's GPSPower's policy. Please don't spam.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] should make their first post as a new Intro Thread in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

Member +

Second try to update map for my trusty devices on my bike.
    This things is rock, got an abuse several times but still going strong.
    [IMG]eomxx[/IMG]

Post no #3 is still working flawless for raplacing older map, using Webupdater Legacy (for WinXP SP2 older) on Win 7
    [IMG]2m84iyv[/IMG]

It appears I've successfully transferred my 2008 map to my 2720 unit using the steps in post #3 (thanks). However, I have a couple of thinks not quite appear correctly. 1) When I look for the map version on the GPS (under Settings \ About \ Detail Maps) I get a screen saying "Failed to get map information!" 2) When I navigate a saved route that I transferred to the 2720 via Map Source (my usual method) after transferring the maps, it still says "The Route Does Not Match the Available Maps! It will not follow the roads precisely. Do you want to recalculate?" That error was the entire reason I was trying to update the map in the first place.

Is there still some map that I need to remove? Based on posts #22 and #30 in this thread, might this be related to not having the Flag=0?

Important User How to update maps on a street pilot 2720
    How to update maps on a street pilot 2720How to update maps on a street pilot 2720

The flag set to 1 will only prevent the map img being seen by BaseCamp, it doesn't affect the performance of the map on the device itself. I think your img file may be slightly corrupt, you can check it for errors using GMapTool.
    Code:
    Please Login or Register to see the links
    I don't know if using such an old map version is wise anyway, there's been some major changes since 2008 in North American roads.

Administrator How to update maps on a street pilot 2720

The main thing is the Map was transferred to another devise and now one can move on to the next stage and get an updated map.
    But be aware of this note:

NO Request for active Maps/software they will be removed under Rule #9
    9- BE RESPECTFUL OF THE LAW . This means no upload of any illegal activities, copyright infringement, or pirated intellectual property.
    This applies to Garmin and Tom Tom.

But you may get your maps off the Net and ask how to install on this site "so long as NO software is loaded on this Site Thank you."
    Can't see a link/attachment? Don't post asking why. Just 'Like' the post & hit F5:
    THE LIKE BUTTON IS NOW IN THE BOTTOM LEFT HAND CORNER
    Posts serving no purpose like thanks or to ask about links go to [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] or are deleted, it's GPS Power policy.

As Magnetron suggest, right now I'm simply trying to get the same map on my MapSource and (4) 2720 devices so that when I create a route it doesn't change as it recalculates from device to device. I'll get to better maps later if I need them. Garmin support is frustrating, but I'm trying to get unlock codes for my last device from them.

I downloaded GMapTool and when I tried to split files two different .ing files per the directions on the website, both times I got an error code -1. So yes, it appears something is wrong. Thoughts on what it is and how to fix it?

Using GMapTool I joined all my individual 2008 NA NT .img files and updated the unlock code for my new-to-me 2720 device (code provided by Garmin). It seems to have worked, but I can only see the joined file through the GMapTool directory, not in a windows folder. Did I do something wrong?

Then, again using GMapTool, I tried to split the file I just created and create files for Mapsource, Compile a preview map (using MapTk), set FID (to 333, which was not used) , and set PID to 1. When I "Join all" it seems to run fine until the end, when I get an error. These are the last few lines from the GMap log:

Write unl gmaptool00.unl, codes 1
    Write file mapset.mp
    Write file mapset.tdb
    Write file mapset.mdx
    Create output file error, file C:/Program Files (x86)/GMapTool/Test 3f/install.bat.
    Running compiler for preview map compilation.
    ""C:/Program Files (x86)/MapTk/MapTk.exe" "C:/Program Files (x86)/GMapTool/Test 3f/mapset.mp""

I'm feeling lost. Am I?

Important User How to update maps on a street pilot 2720
    How to update maps on a street pilot 2720How to update maps on a street pilot 2720

You won't have any search functions in a recompiled img map doing that with GMapTool anyway, similarly search function in MapSource won't work either. Read post #7 for more info, over in this thread: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]. That post details the only proper was to make an img fully functional when used in a device.

Hello guys,

I was searching for "how to upload new maps garmin 2720" and to my surprise this thread popped up! What a relief to know that maybe I'll be able to use my Garmin 2720 on my upcoming trip to Mexico!

Before jumping on the steps described in this thread, I wanted to clarify some questions and make sure I following the correct steps. My 2720 unit currently has the City Navigator 2008 map. I also have access to my original "City Navigator North America Update DVD 2008" with serial number. My computer was replaced and it does not have any Garmin software installed on it.

So here are my questions, any feedback would be very welcome, as I have not played with this unit in years and have only a vague idea of the language described in this thread:

1. In order to upload a more recent USA/Mexico map, would I need to use my City Navigator DVD or download fresh software from the web? I am not sure how to start and how to find the required software, hence the question.

2. Where/how to find newer North America maps compatible with the 2720? It seems like it can take City Navigator 2011. Any other map sources that is recommended?

3. Would I be able to fit the regions necessary to cover the route below?
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Thanks in advance for any feedback,

BB