Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

Default firmware reflash

first of all sorry for the long post. I have a nuvi 2455 that i have flashed it seemed to go perfectly but says can not validate map product. this is what i have done. downloaded the latest firmware version 820.gcd this was already installed on the nuvi. my details from the xml file coincide with this below
    HWID: 1371 | SWVS: 820 | MAP: Yes | GMA: Yes | MSV: --- | GVS: Yes | File: nuvi24x5and25x5_GCDFile__820.gcd
    Next i downloaded all the files in the universal patcher thread.
    next , opened the firmware patcher.exe and dropped the 820.gcd file into it for conversion and saved the converted resulting file.
    then i opened the rgn tool and droped the converted file into it and saved the converted file as 137101000820.rgn
    I then removed the old 820.gcd from the nuvi and switched off.
    i then opened the updater .exe and loaded the .rgn file into it selected usb and connected the nuvi and put it into preboot mode and when it was visable in in updater.exe clicked ok.
    The unit went through the flashing procedure and confirmed all done ok. switched off and back on with no problems.
    i had already downloaded the City Navigator Europe NTU 2016.30 torrent file. now this is where i may have gone wrong, i took the locked .img file out of the torrent and unlocked it with gimgunlock+mapsig and then drag and dropped it onto an sd card into a folder named garmin and when done changed the files name to gmapsupp.2 and then put the sd card into the nuvi and thats about where i am at, getting the can not validate map product.

Have i done all the above correctly. Many thanks in advance Lee

2.    Advertissements

Quote Originally Posted by leedude View Post
    i took the locked .img file out of the torrent and unlocked it with gimgunlock+mapsig and then drag and dropped it onto an sd card into a folder named garmin and when done changed the files name to gmapsupp.2 and then put the sd card into the nuvi and thats about where i am at, getting the can not validate map product.
    You need to be more precise in what you did exactly. If you renamed the map file to gmapsupp.2, it will not be recognised as a map file by your device and thus you would not get the error message about not being able to validate the map...

Note: I moved your post from the Garmin Discussions section to the Garmin Firmware section where it is more appropriate.
    To avoid clutter, please don't leave any "Thank You" posts but use the Xlosbkb button or the LIKE this post ↑ link instead
    (found at the lower left hand side of any post)
    To see hidden download links, use the same LIKE this post ↑ link and hit F5 on the keyboard to refresh the page.
    Report broken download links by using the ADYp6au button at the lower left hand corner of that post.

Quote Originally Posted by smokefree View Post
    You need to be more precise in what you did exactly. If you renamed the map file to gmapsupp.2, it will not be recognised as a map file by your device and thus you would not get the error message about not being able to validate the map...

Note: I moved your post from the Garmin Discussions section to the Garmin Firmware section where it is more appropriate.
    thanks for the reply and moving the post.

i did try various namings ie i tried gmapsupp.img and gmapsupp1.img and gmaprom1.img also gmaprom.img

Important User firmware reflash
    firmware reflashfirmware reflashfirmware reflashfirmware reflashfirmware reflashfirmware reflashfirmware reflash

@leedude.
    Try this:
    Create a folder in sd named 'Map' and copy your unlocked .img (anyname.img)in it, backup and remove from nuvi any .gma and .unl files along any previous CN covering the same area.

sent with my phone
    l9ebnsm
    You have to navigate to get to the good.

Galaxy S5 Kitkat 4.4.2 / Nuvi1200->1250 / Nuvi3790T->34xx / Nuvi 2200 / Nuvi 66 / Oregon 600

Quote Originally Posted by catymag View Post
    @leedude.
    Try this:
    Create a folder in sd named 'Map' and copy your unlocked .img (anyname.img)in it, backup and remove from nuvi any .gma and .unl files along any previous CN covering the same area.

sent with my phone
    catymag i will try that. when you say remove files i take it you mean remove said files from the garmin drive. so if i read you right you want me to remove the .gma and .unl and the actual cn maprom from the garmin drive, the map i am trying to install is the latest cn Europe NTU 2016.30 ntu file. many thanks Lee

Navigation software expert firmware reflash
    firmware reflash

Quote Originally Posted by leedude View Post
    I have a nuvi 2455 that i have flashed ...
    What was your purpose in doing that?
    Your device needs no patched firmware, because it does not contain MSV (MSV: ---).

Garmin/GPS Systems GMod. firmware reflash
    firmware reflashfirmware reflashfirmware reflashfirmware reflashfirmware reflashfirmware reflashfirmware reflash

Clearly no purpose C, well spotted.

@leedude
    As said, it doesn't need patched firmware. You may not have done any harm but you certainly haven't given it any benefit. If all else fails flash back unpatched original firmware but it seems certain the problem involves the map of course, although that problem is likely not so much with the map itself rather it's with interference of its use. It's being 'seen' by the device because the message 'cannot validate' [authenticate?] is shown which indicates a GMA check failed so therefore naming and placement is not a problem. If properly unlocked [it would appear it is if you did in fact use latest gimunlock+mapsigpatch] that leaves catymag's advice about removing any previous map version and any UNL & GMA files as the likely solution and yes, of course she means remove from the device as well as the card if present.
    'Thanking Posts' are banned. To thank someone, and/or to see hidden links and content, use the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] button below left of the helpful post then refresh your browser [F5 key]. 'Thanking Posts' are banned.
    Please don't spam. Posts serving no purpose other than to thank or to ask about hidden links are trashed or deleted, it's GPSPower's policy. Please don't spam.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] should make their first post as a new Intro Thread in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Clearly no purpose C, well spotted.

@leedude
    As said, it doesn't need patched firmware. You may not have done any harm but you certainly haven't given it any benefit. If all else fails flash back unpatched original firmware but it seems certain the problem involves the map of course, although that problem is likely not so much with the map itself rather it's with interference of its use. It's being 'seen' by the device because the message 'cannot validate' [authenticate?] is shown which indicates a GMA check failed so therefore naming and placement is not a problem. If properly unlocked [it would appear it is if you did in fact use latest gimunlock+mapsigpatch] that leaves catymag's advice about removing any previous map version and any UNL & GMA files as the likely solution and yes, of course she means remove from the device as well as the card if present.
    Many thanks for the quick replies, i have now sorted it, i have installed the the pc locked instal from the torrent to my pc and then fixed with unlock mapsource.exe, formated the sd card and just used mapsource to send all the maps to the sd card, when complete reboot nuvi and now all working. Again many thanks for the help, Just one more question if the unit did not require flashing, why is this writen in the first thread Quote (Procedure to use the patcher and to load the patched firmware in preboot mode ("GSV: Yes" devices) : and from how i read it mine is a GSV: Yes" devices, and of course i may be wrong.

HWID: 1371 | SWVS: 820 | MAP: Yes | GMA: Yes | MSV: --- | GVS: Yes | File: nuvi24x5and25x5_GCDFile__820.gcd
    Last edited by leedude; 6th March 2016 at 12:34 AM.

Important User firmware reflash

It's GVS= Yes ( it means you cannot flash in your nuvi a non signed firmware with traditional method).
    But is MSV:--- (map signature verification) that means it doesn't have new protection ( you can use unlocked maps)

sent with my phone
    l9ebnsm
    You have to navigate to get to the good.

Galaxy S5 Kitkat 4.4.2 / Nuvi1200->1250 / Nuvi3790T->34xx / Nuvi 2200 / Nuvi 66 / Oregon 600

Quote Originally Posted by catymag View Post
    It's GVS= Yes ( it means you cannot flash in your nuvi a non signed firmware with traditional method).
    But is MSV:--- (map signature verification) that means it doesn't have new protection ( you can use unlocked maps)

sent with my phone
    Many thanks catymag for putting me straight on that point, i guess how i read it i thought it meant you need to flash the firmware if it was GVS=YES, my mistake and i will make sure i ask questions before go ahead again. still no harm done just a little frustration at my end.

Once again many thanks all who posted.