Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Nüvi 1690 Bricked? Can't get past Garmin logo

Hi,

My father has this Garmin Nüvi 1690 and he was upgrading the firmware and maps to it. He told me that the update application in PC said the upgrade was success and the device can be disconnected etc. But now it's stuck on the Garmin logo.

It's not recognized by PC when plugged in etc. just the Logo.

I stumbled upon this forum after some googling and found the GarminCure3 so I downloaded that and some firmware file I assume might work with it (it was the only one i could find to have anything matching the 1690...)
    Code:
    Please Login or Register to see the links
    I then fired up GarminCure3, Made the cure firmware and ran updater.exe. Then following guides I touched top left corned of display while powering on and the updater did detect the device for a short time! But when I click OK i get error the device is not recognized etc. and i can't get past it.

Is the Nüvi now totaly bricked or is there anything i can do?
    Last edited by smokefree; 22nd February 2016 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Marked thread as 'Solved'.

2.    Advertissements

marksu, when you run updater.exe with cure firmwar *.rgn try to keep pressing on screen till the end of firmware updating.
    And don't forget to remove the card from nuvi before doing something.
    I think your father just disconnect the nuvi from the PC after update application messages, without safely remove. The contents of the internal memory of 1690 was corrupted.
    Please read carefully [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].
    Last edited by victor777; 21st February 2016 at 11:16 AM.

Garmin/GPS Systems GMod.

@marksu
    Additionally, please note that [Only registered and activated users can see links. ], and the regional units are 'cross-flashable'. You need be sure that you are using the correct firmware to make the cure. It's probably the EU version HWID 1132, but see here to get its correct HWID: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]. Don't worry, it's probably only 'soft-bricked', if you see the logo screen it's usually recoverable. If you use the correct firmware and follow the guide linked in above post you can't go wrong.
    'Thanking Posts' are banned. To thank someone, and/or to see hidden links and content, use the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] button below left of the helpful post then refresh your browser [F5 key]. 'Thanking Posts' are banned.
    Please don't spam. Posts serving no purpose other than to thank or to ask about hidden links are trashed or deleted, it's GPSPower's policy. Please don't spam.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] should make their first post as a new Intro Thread in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    @marksu
    Additionally, please note that [Only registered and activated users can see links. ], and the regional units are 'cross-flashable'. You need be sure that you are using the correct firmware to make the cure. It's probably the EU version HWID 1132, but see here to get its correct HWID: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]. Don't worry, it's probably only 'soft-bricked', if you see the logo screen it's usually recoverable. If you use the correct firmware and follow the guide linked above you can't go wrong.
    Thanks @neil, I installed G7ToWin, set it to use USB, connected the device in preboot mode. I heard windows give the sound of device connected so i clicked on the Get GPS ID, but i get error "USB Error: open_Garmin_USB: Failed getting USB Handle.

Any ideas?

Also where can I download the correct firmware? I tried to follow the guides on how to download them on Garmin website but can't really find them

Important User

@marksu
    Do you have Garmin USB drivers installed ?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    l9ebnsm
    You have to navigate to get to the good.

Galaxy S5 Kitkat 4.4.2 / Nuvi1200->1250 / Nuvi3790T->34xx / Nuvi 2200 / Nuvi 66 / Oregon 600

Quote Originally Posted by catymag View Post
    @marksu
    Do you have Garmin USB drivers installed ?

Thanks @catymag for the links. I now downloaded the EU firmware and I also just in case downloaded and installed USB drivers. I now have Garmin Express, Garmin Web Updater and Garmin USB Drivers installed on a 64bit Windows 10 computer.

Still when I try to do the update with updater.exe it detects the device but as soon as I click update i get error "the garmin device is not responding"

One more thing... the device is so stuck on the logo screen that it can't be turned off... pressing power button doesn't do anything So I have opened the device and I disconnect the battery to turn the device off.

Important User

Try another USB cable.
    Try with another OS, 7 or XP.

sent with my phone
    l9ebnsm
    You have to navigate to get to the good.

Galaxy S5 Kitkat 4.4.2 / Nuvi1200->1250 / Nuvi3790T->34xx / Nuvi 2200 / Nuvi 66 / Oregon 600

Garmin/GPS Systems GMod.

Quote Originally Posted by marksu View Post
    Thanks @neil, I installed G7ToWin, set it to use USB, connected the device in preboot mode. I heard windows give the sound of device connected so i clicked on the Get GPS ID, but i get error "USB Error: open_Garmin_USB: Failed getting USB Handle.

Any ideas?
    You done something wrong. Follow catymag's advice re USB drivers, different usb cable and another OS also ensure that you keep pressure on top LH corner of the screen consistent and steady or it'll drop preboot. Preboot is only held for ~30 secs in 1xxx devices so have G7ToWin open and ready. Also, read this post and try again following it to ensure you get correct firmware for your HWID: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] [Post #4].

Also where can I download the correct firmware? I tried to follow the guides on how to download them on Garmin website but can't really find them
    Copy and paste the desired coded link from [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] into your browser, for example:
    Code:
    Please Login or Register to see the links
    Thanks @catymag for the links. I now downloaded the EU firmware and I also just in case downloaded and installed USB drivers. I now have Garmin Express, Garmin Web Updater and Garmin USB Drivers installed on a 64bit Windows 10 computer.

Still when I try to do the update with updater.exe it detects the device but as soon as I click update i get error "the garmin device is not responding"
    It's dropped preboot.

One more thing... the device is so stuck on the logo screen that it can't be turned off... pressing power button doesn't do anything So I have opened the device and I disconnect the battery to turn the device off.
    That's unnecessary. Hold the power button down to force it off. Many devices need it held for >30 seconds.
    'Thanking Posts' are banned. To thank someone, and/or to see hidden links and content, use the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] button below left of the helpful post then refresh your browser [F5 key]. 'Thanking Posts' are banned.
    Please don't spam. Posts serving no purpose other than to thank or to ask about hidden links are trashed or deleted, it's GPSPower's policy. Please don't spam.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] should make their first post as a new Intro Thread in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    That's unnecessary. Hold the power button down to force it off. Many devices need it held for >30 seconds.
    I can confirm this. I unbricked a nüvi 765 earlier this week that was stuck on the Garmin splash screen. Had to slide the power button to 'OFF' unusually long to finally get it to power down. The 30 seconds mentioned by Neil are a fair indication as to how long could be required.
    To avoid clutter, please don't leave any "Thank You" posts but use the Xlosbkb button or the LIKE this post ↑ link instead
    (found at the lower left hand side of any post)
    To see hidden download links, use the same LIKE this post ↑ link and hit F5 on the keyboard to refresh the page.
    Report broken download links by using the ADYp6au button at the lower left hand corner of that post.

Talking

OK, Partial success!

I managed to update the recovery image. The trick was to keep on pressing the touchscreen and just reclick the OK button until it started to update!

So I got access to the flash drive and I formatted it with the RMPrepUSB as in the guide.

Now after format I tried to flash the original firmware... Restarted device in preboot mode. same thing. Kept retrying OK but this time it started to update but it opened the flash drive in windows and then gave error that it can't find device

I have now been trying quite many times... Any suggestions?

EDIT:
    OK. Got it! Just had to keep on retrying fast by clicking enter, so it would start the update before preboot mode is exitted. Updating original firmware now
    Last edited by marksu; 22nd February 2016 at 06:27 PM.