Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Garmin/GPS Systems GMod. IMPORTANT! If you want HELP in case of a bricked Garmin device, please follow this
    IMPORTANT! If you want HELP in case of a bricked Garmin device, please follow thisIMPORTANT! If you want HELP in case of a bricked Garmin device, please follow thisIMPORTANT! If you want HELP in case of a bricked Garmin device, please follow thisIMPORTANT! If you want HELP in case of a bricked Garmin device, please follow thisIMPORTANT! If you want HELP in case of a bricked Garmin device, please follow thisIMPORTANT! If you want HELP in case of a bricked Garmin device, please follow this

He's said it can't attain preboot unfortunately. If he's correct in that and you can't help with modded ldr.bin then it only leaves hardware mod and by that i assume you mean removing the flash chip and reprogramming it [?].
    'Thanking Posts' are banned. To thank someone, and/or to see hidden links and content, use the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] button below left of the helpful post then refresh your browser [F5 key]. 'Thanking Posts' are banned.
    Please don't spam. Posts serving no purpose other than to thank or to ask about hidden links are trashed or deleted, it's GPSPower's policy. Please don't spam.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] should make their first post as a new Intro Thread in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

2.    Advertissements

Well, I´ve try to re-flash the backup with the SD with the following combinations:
    1: SD:\Garmin\Updater\1715\ldr.bin (2797)
    2: SD:\Garmin\Updater\1603\ldr.bin (2797)
    3: SD:\Garmin\Updater\1715\ldr.bin (3795)
    4: SD:\Garmin\Updater\1603\ldr.bin (3795)
    Same result, the nuvi stay bricked. Apparently the point 3 in the Neil's scenario it´s true, the card never was checked. Could confirm this, if there were SD with a light that turn on when accessed, like the old pendrives.

Neil, catymag, kunix, thank you very much for your help and suggestions!

Garmin/GPS Systems GMod. IMPORTANT! If you want HELP in case of a bricked Garmin device, please follow this
    IMPORTANT! If you want HELP in case of a bricked Garmin device, please follow thisIMPORTANT! If you want HELP in case of a bricked Garmin device, please follow thisIMPORTANT! If you want HELP in case of a bricked Garmin device, please follow thisIMPORTANT! If you want HELP in case of a bricked Garmin device, please follow thisIMPORTANT! If you want HELP in case of a bricked Garmin device, please follow thisIMPORTANT! If you want HELP in case of a bricked Garmin device, please follow this

For such an expensive device it's a real shame where the only viable option left is to break it down for parts. The hardware repair option is onerous however.

Are you absolutely sure it cannot enter preboot? It's tricky to do with a damaged unit but persistence will sometimes pay off. Units that restart every few seconds like yours are notoriously difficult, timing and luck come into it. I recently spent literally weeks trying off and on to access and maintain preboot in a bricked SP2720. Every morning i'd spend a few minutes then suddenly one day i was able to flash it - it would have totaled dozens if not over a hundred attempts then bingo! It worked!

This test can hardly cause any further problems if you want to try. It will at least show if preboot is possible even if only for a brief moment. The thing is if the boot looping can be interrupted by a flash started in preboot then there is a chance to fix it. In the RAR pack is the 2797 ldr.bin [boot.bin] made into an RGN file so if you do manage to flash it the unit might then start normally, but doing the actual flash is not so much the purpose at present. If you can initiate the flash that will be great, but really this is to see if preboot can be reached at all for the time being:

• Extract this RAR file to somewhere convenient on your PC and then drag boot.rgn onto Updater.exe to open it's GUI. Enable the radio button to the left of 'USB Device' and leave the GUI visible with your mouse cursor positioned over 'OK'.
      Spoiler:
      [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    • Plug a microUSB cable into a rear port of your PC, but not into the 2797 just yet.
    • Make sure the 2797 is fully OFF.
    • Holding the unit in your left hand, press your thumb quite firmly in the left-hand top corner of its screen and plug the usb cable into it while carefully watching the GUI to see if 'nuvi xxxx (Unit iD xxxxx' appears in the window to the right of 'USB Device' and/or 'System' appears on the device screen. You may also hear the Windows device connection sound.
    • If you see/hear any of the above activity immediately click 'OK' or hit Enter on PC keyboard and keep holding the screen with firm steady pressure until the flash finishes [Updater.exe message reporting success].
    • If you do manage to flash the boot.rgn, and the unit 'wakes up' it will probably be stuck with 'Loader' showing on the screen. That's only because it's waiting for further software other than just the boot.bin so just force it off by holding the power button, then see if it will start normally.

BTW, in your post above you have the folder name '1715'. 2797's HWID is 1517. It wouldn't make any difference even if the SD card is being seen i believe, because neither folder name would be recognised by the unit which has had 3597's HWID of 1603 written to it when you tried to enable TracBack.
    'Thanking Posts' are banned. To thank someone, and/or to see hidden links and content, use the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] button below left of the helpful post then refresh your browser [F5 key]. 'Thanking Posts' are banned.
    Please don't spam. Posts serving no purpose other than to thank or to ask about hidden links are trashed or deleted, it's GPSPower's policy. Please don't spam.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] should make their first post as a new Intro Thread in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

Thanks Neil!, if i can unbrick my 2797, I owe you the 95% of the device!! I tell you what I'll do. Since this 2797 try to boot like a 3597, i supose that the white line is the "Garmin" logo mapped in a different screen (7 inch vs 5 inch and a different tech) , so if it's true then the point in the screen to pressing to enter in preboot mode maybe is in other place. . So I'll pressing with a plastic point in every place in the screen, one time for each plug/unplug the usb cable (damn, why I bought a screen so big?). I locked the enter key of my keyboard with focus in the OK button with the Updater app running with the rgn in your post. If the nuvi enter in preboot, even a few hundredths of a second, then the updater will perform with the flash.
    Obviously if I can unbrick I will post the details!!

Mate, you owe us nothing. We like to try to help ppl, most of us got help here originally ourselves. Our payment is simply having our efforts appreciated. You clearly appreciate the attempts, even when we are just fumbling around in the dark like i am with this problem of yours. I'm hoping others with more software moxie than myself can join in to help.

Your theory that the place to press for preboot may have changed is interesting, and i wouldn't wish to discourage you from trying all over the screen. However, even if it is now in a different spot, i don't think it will be for the reason you've hypothesized. The logo/splash screen normally seen on starting is from a PNG contained in rgn16. Both the units' PNG images have picture size 800 x 480 pixels and are identical. The 5" 3597 has proportionally better resolution than the 7" 2797 is all. Not only are the images themselves identical but so are the 16.bin dumps from 3597 and 2797, and by that i mean not only identical in size (3,145,728 bytes) but also their hashes match [MD5 70B10413696B99E0617AD78F7E289FF5]. So the logo image is not the source of the white line problem at all and nor is it responsible for denying preboot, sorry. Even a unit that has no logo image in rgn16 will still enter preboot in the usual way.

I'd keep trying over and over to reach preboot as you're doing, especially in the top LH corner, but note that just unplugging/replugging the usb won't work. The unit needs to be fully OFF each time you try. If you can see the bootloop's happening in a regular cycle you may be able to time your attempts in synch with that by holding the screen after it turns off and before it starts again but i've never tried that so don't know if it will work. I've always forced a bootlooping unit fully off by holding the power button and then re-powered it by plugging in the usb while re-pressing the screen.

hi, I need help

1) Bricked device Nuvi 52, Firmware version= 4.00, HWID=1613

2) I installed updated map in system folder and new JVc file and used a 12v car charcher diffrent than the original charger.

3) Symptoms: what's wrong in your device?..I cannot put it in mass storage when open the volume icon and press on the top right corner of the screen nothing happens i cannot configuer the mass storage to get
    SYS. folder.

4) Does your pc sees your device ?..it does not see my device at all....but i can use updater.exe to flash the software by holding the left screen upper corner.Device Manager, Garmin Express, or the Garmin website
    plugin cant see my device.

5) List all the procedures you already tried to unbrick it and their results and errors messages obtained ...I tried all the procedures in the form..non work.

6) Do you have Garmin USB Drivers installed ? yes.

7) Write down if you already read or tried GarminCure3 tool - the new way to create cure firmwares for Garmin devices
    ....yes I tryed this method..my computer see my device for a second then disapears

8) Can you reach preboot mode? yes i can use Garmin Updater.exe v.2.8.0 in preboot mode

9) Probably no , but do you have NV backup? No

I need the computer to see my device, i can flash my nuvi with updater.exe but i cannot get into mass storage.

thank you

Quote Originally Posted by teenwolf View Post
    3) Symptoms: what's wrong in your device?..I cannot put it in mass storage when open the volume icon and press on the top right corner of the screen nothing happens i cannot configuer the mass storage to get
    SYS. folder.
    That does nothing in nuvi 30/40/50 even if device is not bricked. It's used in other series like 3xxxx as alternate way to enter diagnostic menu and choose between Mass Storage [MSM] and Media Transfer Protocol [MTP]. That choice isn't available in x0 which doesn't use MTP and anyway the hidden menu can't be reached in ANY bricked device because by definition they cannot start up to show any screen other than maybe the logo start screen continuously. Ergo, your device isn't bricked because it can start.

4) Does your pc sees your device ?..it does not see my device at all....but i can use updater.exe to flash the software by holding the left screen upper corner.Device Manager, Garmin Express, or the Garmin website
    plugin cant see my device.

5) List all the procedures you already tried to unbrick it and their results and errors messages obtained ...I tried all the procedures in the form..non work.

6) Do you have Garmin USB Drivers installed ? yes.

7) Write down if you already read or tried GarminCure3 tool - the new way to create cure firmwares for Garmin devices
    ....yes I tryed this method..my computer see my device for a second then disapears
    What i've shown in red of your info is contradictory, i now assuming in the following that the second info is correct:
    1. If you've successfully loaded Cure firmware then the device should not not boot but remain stuck on the Logo screen.
    2. If your PC sees it even for a second as you say then it CAN reach MSM.

So, it's was not bricked and didn't need curing. If it's stuck on the logo screen load the original firmware back, but if it still boots then you didn't flash Cure fw at all. Before you do anything further try to reset it or preferably clear nonvol if you haven't already done so. Back up favourites first if you wish to restore [but be aware that maybe is where the problem exists] as all user data will be deleted. [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] and [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]. If still no MSM proceed as follows:

If you haven't tried the following, do them now in this order:
    1. Reload the latest [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] and then try a different USB cable, try several in fact.
    2. Use another usb port on the PC, not via a hub and preferably a REAR port.
    3. Check in Disk Management on the PC that it's being allocated a drive letter. If it's not add one manually.
    4. Check if it's being seen in PC's Device Manager as 'Garmin Device .....' under Disk Drives.
    5. Try another PC, old one running XP if possible.

Report results if you need further help.

Hi Neil

Thanks for the info.

1) I tried all what was described above..still the computer dose not see my device and I cannot reach MSM...i tried Nuvi 67 its working fine on my computer.

2) when I load the cure firmware on my Nuvi 52 the logo comes on and off and the drive shows on my computer for a second then goes off and continues like that.

3) I can flash the original firmware back by the use of updater.exe and the device works fine, but again..when i connect it to my computer..nothing happens..no drive shown and i cannot reach MSM as if the device
    is not there andit is not recognized by GarminExpress.

I think most propably its a hardware problem.

thank you for your help.
    Last edited by teenwolf; 7th March 2016 at 11:40 AM.

nuvi 5x seem to have a problem like 14xx where the USB socket connections to the MO are prone to fail. Try taping the cable to the rear of the case to put some slight upwards pressure on the usb plug and see if the connection to the PC becomes stable. I have a 1490 like that, regardless many updates can be done using txt commands from sd.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    nuvi 5x seem to have a problem like 14xx where the USB socket connections to the MO are prone to fail. Try taping the cable to the rear of the case to put some slight upwards pressure on the usb plug and see if the connection to the PC becomes stable.
    A more permanent but still easy to realise solution could look like this:
    Spoiler: image
    dF58ChH
    To avoid clutter, please don't leave any "Thank You" posts but use the Xlosbkb button or the LIKE this post ↑ link instead
    (found at the lower left hand side of any post)
    To see hidden download links, use the same LIKE this post ↑ link and hit F5 on the keyboard to refresh the page.
    Report broken download links by using the ADYp6au button at the lower left hand corner of that post.