Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

? No response to any touches - bad digitizer?

Hi everybody!

I got used Garmin nuvi 780 - previous owner said unit just was flashing logo. So I got it to play with (for $10)
    After charging overnight I can boot it! Everything works - I updated system, maps. It locates me on the road. Shows my speed. Perfect except of touch... It doesn't respond AT ALL!!!

I booted unit in calibration mode - it didn't respond to my touch of the dot...

I took it apart, reseated cables - the same.

Now I ran out of ideas... Is it bad digitizer? Do they fail?

Thanks for any help!

2.    Advertissements

Master No response to any touches - bad digitizer? navifan2's Avatar

May be bad touch software, try to run Webupdater.

Quote Originally Posted by navifan2 View Post
    Thanks for reply!

Do you mead webupdater from Garmin? Yes, I ran it and it updated the unit. I was thinking about touch software too - is it part of .gcd file? I was thinking about flashing original firmware with garmincure...

Thanks again!

Digitizers can certainly fail while the LCD screen itself is still intact. Although replacing the digitizer only is possible, I would recommend to replace the LCD and digitizer as a combined set. Only a few dollars more in price and reduced risk of messing things up in the process.

Try the suggestion by navifan2 in post #2 first though.
    To avoid clutter, please don't leave any "Thank You" posts but use the Xlosbkb button or the LIKE this post ↑ link instead
    (found at the lower left hand side of any post)
    To see hidden download links, use the same LIKE this post ↑ link and hit F5 on the keyboard to refresh the page.
    Report broken download links by using the ADYp6au button at the lower left hand corner of that post.

Quote Originally Posted by smokefree View Post
    Digitizers can certainly fail while the LCD screen itself is still intact. Although replacing the digitizer only is possible, I would recommend to replace the LCD and digitizer as a combined set. Only a few dollars more in price and reduced risk of messing things up in the process.

Try the suggestion by navifan2 in post #2 first though.

one last question:
    on my other Garmins during boot-up right after GARMIN logo I see copyright with some NAVTEQ trademark. But on this 780 it says SiRFInstantFixII. Is it because it uses MSN receiver?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by navifan2 View Post
    I used webupdater from Garmin and on latest firmware.

Tried to use GarminCure tool but can't put unit into pre-boot mode - screen doesn't respond to touch

Thanks anyway

Important User No response to any touches - bad digitizer?
    No response to any touches - bad digitizer?No response to any touches - bad digitizer?No response to any touches - bad digitizer?No response to any touches - bad digitizer?No response to any touches - bad digitizer?No response to any touches - bad digitizer?No response to any touches - bad digitizer?

Look at nuvi hidden diagnostic page (press and hold on battery symbol for 10 seconds) if touch software file is missing.
    l9ebnsm
    You have to navigate to get to the good.

Galaxy S5 Kitkat 4.4.2 / Nuvi1200->1250 / Nuvi3790T->34xx / Nuvi 2200 / Nuvi 66 / Oregon 600

Quote Originally Posted by catymag View Post
    (press and hold on battery symbol for 10 seconds)
    Ehhhh Caty.... screen does not respond to touch...!
    To avoid clutter, please don't leave any "Thank You" posts but use the Xlosbkb button or the LIKE this post ↑ link instead
    (found at the lower left hand side of any post)
    To see hidden download links, use the same LIKE this post ↑ link and hit F5 on the keyboard to refresh the page.
    Report broken download links by using the ADYp6au button at the lower left hand corner of that post.

Important User No response to any touches - bad digitizer?
    No response to any touches - bad digitizer?No response to any touches - bad digitizer?No response to any touches - bad digitizer?No response to any touches - bad digitizer?No response to any touches - bad digitizer?No response to any touches - bad digitizer?No response to any touches - bad digitizer?

Lol, you are right!!

sent with my phone
    l9ebnsm
    You have to navigate to get to the good.

Galaxy S5 Kitkat 4.4.2 / Nuvi1200->1250 / Nuvi3790T->34xx / Nuvi 2200 / Nuvi 66 / Oregon 600

Thanks for ideas anyway - at least I learned about GarminCure and pre-boot mode Will keep an eye on used Garmin around - may be make one out of two