Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Important User nuvi 1690 with 'system software missing' message
    nuvi 1690 with 'system software missing' messagenuvi 1690 with 'system software missing' messagenuvi 1690 with 'system software missing' messagenuvi 1690 with 'system software missing' messagenuvi 1690 with 'system software missing' messagenuvi 1690 with 'system software missing' messagenuvi 1690 with 'system software missing' message

Sorry no. I don't have it, but from what I see here
    Code:
    Please Login or Register to see the links
    2.60 is the nuvi preloaded original first firmware, so probably nobody can have it.

A curiosity please: what bricked it and how?
    l9ebnsm
    You have to navigate to get to the good.

Galaxy S5 Kitkat 4.4.2 / Nuvi1200->1250 / Nuvi3790T->34xx / Nuvi 2200 / Nuvi 66 / Oregon 600

2.    Advertissements

Garmin/GPS Systems GMod. nuvi 1690 with 'system software missing' message
    nuvi 1690 with 'system software missing' messagenuvi 1690 with 'system software missing' messagenuvi 1690 with 'system software missing' messagenuvi 1690 with 'system software missing' messagenuvi 1690 with 'system software missing' messagenuvi 1690 with 'system software missing' message

'System software missing' message is indicative of a failed software upgrade. The firmware has perhaps been erased from the unit but the process has failed or been interrupted at that point and new fw hasn't loaded in other words. The unit may not even need to be 'cured' in the sense that it maybe isn't really bricked. Try reloading the V3.90 EU fw [original not cure], there are several possible ways to perhaps achieve that. Try these turn, moving to the next if not successful:

1. Connect to PC and drag nuvi16xxEU_regionfileonly__390.gcd onto the WebUpdater shortcut or directly to WebUpdater.exe in the Garmin program folder.
    2. Convert the nuvi16xxEU_regionfileonly__300.gcd to 113201000.390.rgn using RGN_tool. Then connect in pre-boot and flash the rgn with Updater.exe [try this repeatedly, even if it shows the 'unable to program the requested memory region' repeatedly].
    3. Rename nuvi16xxEU_regionfileonly__300.gcd to gupdate.gcd, place in a root folder named Garmin on a microSD. Have the unit fully off [force it off by holding the power button if needed], insert the card and turn the unit on.

These's a fourth method too, involving kunix's method of modding ldr.bin and flashing via Updater.exe to execute txt on microSD to delete the existing [perhaps corrupt] gupdate.exe from .System folder by overwriting it with a known-good file. If none of the above 3 work, i can make a kit for you to try that too.
    'Thanking Posts' are banned. To thank someone, and/or to see hidden links and content, use the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] button below left of the helpful post then refresh your browser [F5 key]. 'Thanking Posts' are banned.
    Please don't spam. Posts serving no purpose other than to thank or to ask about hidden links are trashed or deleted, it's GPSPower's policy. Please don't spam.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] should make their first post as a new Intro Thread in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

Member +

Thanks for the reply Neil,

method #1
    I gave another few tries with the reloading the "orignal" V3.90 EU fw method, no luck
    Every time the updater window showed "nuvi 1690 Software Version 2.60" and the touchscreen showed "software missing"

I tried the method #2 and got this message (several attempts)
    The touchscreen showed "loader loading".
    "The Garmin device has returned an error status while receiving data packets.
    This could be due to a malfunction in the Garmin device or an error in this application.

If this error continues to occur, contact Garmin Technical Support."

method #3
    I have the nuvi16xxEU_regionfileonly__300.gcd file, but where can I download the RGN_tool?
    I believe the Updater.exe is the one comes with kunix's GarminCure3.exe and I have that.

I wish to go for the #4 method, but I will follow the step 3 and see how things go.
    Please provide me the link for the RGN_tool, Thanks in advance.

To catymag,

the story goes like this, I was using nuvi 255w all the time until I thought it would be nice to have lane assist and jcv function, after missing a few turns while driving on the motorways, I finally got the nuvi 1690 (a few years back).

And I have never had any problems with updating the maps (neither 255w nor 1690), and recently when I was in the middle of updating (i am not sure it was software or other updates), the power suddenly down

At the beginning, I was still able to connect the device to the pc and got recognised, however, the device itself won't boot into the loading maps and so. Just the Garmin logo.

And I tried the kunix's GarminCure3 method, flashing with SW 3.90 version, but without success. And tried again with flashing (cure), format with RMPrepUSB, and flash again wit GarminCure3 original. The device still won't power up to the map loading screen.

Finally, I gave Garmin a call, a nice lady guiding me through some troubleshooting methods, however without success. I was advised to trade in the device for an upgrade. Well, that's their "Best Solution", but I know there are even better in gpspower.net so I did some research and now here I am.... waiting for a cure / advice.

Important User nuvi 1690 with 'system software missing' message
    nuvi 1690 with 'system software missing' messagenuvi 1690 with 'system software missing' messagenuvi 1690 with 'system software missing' messagenuvi 1690 with 'system software missing' messagenuvi 1690 with 'system software missing' messagenuvi 1690 with 'system software missing' messagenuvi 1690 with 'system software missing' message

Does pc still see it?
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    l9ebnsm
    You have to navigate to get to the good.

Galaxy S5 Kitkat 4.4.2 / Nuvi1200->1250 / Nuvi3790T->34xx / Nuvi 2200 / Nuvi 66 / Oregon 600

Member +

Not anymore,
    oh, forgot to mention 1 thing, the lady from Garmin told me to delete the GUPDATE.GCD file (when the pc still recognised the device)
    but it didn't boot either.

Garmin/GPS Systems GMod. nuvi 1690 with 'system software missing' message
    nuvi 1690 with 'system software missing' messagenuvi 1690 with 'system software missing' messagenuvi 1690 with 'system software missing' messagenuvi 1690 with 'system software missing' messagenuvi 1690 with 'system software missing' messagenuvi 1690 with 'system software missing' message

Its a little concerning that you had MSM and have now lost it. There's no need to load a cure fw if you have MSM, but there is every reason to load it if you haven't got MSM.

Method 1 uses [Only registered and activated users can see links. ], not Updater.exe. Maybe give it a try with WU. If that still fails and so does Method 3, then:
    Method 4: Extract Garmin.rar directly onto a clean microSD. Insert into the nuvi. Extract 113201000390.rar somewhere convenient, Desktop is fine. Inside that rar folder is 113201000390.rgn and Updater.exe, drag the rgn file onto Updater.exe to open the GUI, enable the Radio button for 'USB Device'. Put the nuvi into pre-boot normally connecting to PC and press 'OK' on the GUI when the unit's details show in the window and wait. The unit should then reboot automatically and 'Loader' should appear on the screen if the firmware update flash starts.

Spoiler: Click
    'Thanking Posts' are banned. To thank someone, and/or to see hidden links and content, use the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] button below left of the helpful post then refresh your browser [F5 key]. 'Thanking Posts' are banned.
    Please don't spam. Posts serving no purpose other than to thank or to ask about hidden links are trashed or deleted, it's GPSPower's policy. Please don't spam.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] should make their first post as a new Intro Thread in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

Member +

I have been trying 20 times using the WU method, I was not able to update the device.
    Software missing appeared on the touchscreen

i downloaded the files
    Garmin.rar
    113201000390.rar

and I tried the method by dragging the rgn file over the updater.exe

I got a pop up window:

Your current software version is the same as the update version.

Do you want to replace your current software version with the same software version?

I clicked Yes

And the window pop up

The Garmin device is unable to program the requested memory region.
    This could be due to an incompatibility between this application and the Garmin device.

If this error continues to occur, please contact Garmin Technical Support.

Member +

by the way, what do you mean the msm?

I will try again, I am still with hope, I know it might take long and thanks everyone for the help given.

Member +

An update on what I have tried:

#1 converting gcd file (nuvi16xxEU_regionfileonly__300.gcd) to rgn file with RGN_tool
    rename the file 113201000.390.rgn
    drag it over the Webupdater.exe
    It ran, but the device could not been updated.

#2 Rename nuvi16xxEU_regionfileonly__300.gcd to gupdate.gcd, place in a root folder named Garmin on a microSD
    Could not boot, freezes at Garmin logo.
    drag the 113201000390.rgn (I converted myself) over the Webupdater.exe
    It ran, but the device could not been updated.

drag the 113201000390.rgn (downloaded from Neil) over the Webupdater.exe
    Loader loading appeared on touchscreen
    but later Software missing appeared later.
    Message from Webupdater:
    Your Garmin device has been updated

There may be additional updates available for your device, such as voice updates.

Click Next to check for more updates.
    Click Cancel to quit.

After clicking next:
    There was an error communicating with your Garmin device. You should try again after unplugging and plugging back in the device and ensuring that your Garmin device is on.

If the problem persists, contact Garmin Technical Support.

#3 In case the Webupdater.exe is the wrong tool I used, I try the same procedure with updater.exe downloaded from Neil

drag the 113201000390.rgn (I converted myself) over the updater.exe
    It ran, however later I got a pop up box saying:

This could be due to an incompability between this application and the Garmin device.

And the text on the touchscreen:

Loader Loading

After that Software loading.

Now, I tried with the 113201000390.rgn provided by Neil,
    It ran and I got the pop-up window saying The update was successful

The touchscreen was showing loader loading, but later software missing.

The software missing stays on the touchscreen after unplugged from the pc.

Master nuvi 1690 with 'system software missing' messagenuvi 1690 with 'system software missing' message panoshm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fracessco10 View Post
    recently when I was in the middle of updating (i am not sure it was software or other updates), the power suddenly down

At the beginning, I was still able to connect the device to the pc and got recognised, however, the device itself won't boot into the loading maps and so. Just the Garmin logo.
    I have same problem with my old brikced Nuvi760. It didn't bricked while updating, it bricked while loading maps (from SD).... I think it was from a custom map created from someone who used openstreetmap and he add some things, anyway too time ago, no matter any more, when you trying have risk, I accept this...
    Same screen and me, device shows Garmin logo and restart, over and over (not even starting to load maps), since I hold "on" button for 8secs to shut down....

Quote Originally Posted by catymag View Post
    No you need kunix.
    If it's not hardly bricked he'll find a solution, send him a pm with the link to this thread.
    Well, me too, communicate with kunix, very nice person! I thank him for his help, we talked with email for lot of months, he send me lot of times some files (like files we use at NonVol backup) i don't know what he was doing (hahaha), but his last words 18/4/2012 was "your device is quite severely broken" and "I've tried everything I know. Maybe I will know more soon, or maybe (most probably someone else knows more"

I think its time to try again with [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] but I think that I will not fix it... I will find some time to "kill" to have a try

Quote Originally Posted by fracessco10 View Post
    i downloaded the files
    Garmin.rar
    113201000390.rar

and I tried the method by dragging the rgn file over the updater.exe

I got a pop up window:

Your current software version is the same as the update version.

Do you want to replace your current software version with the same software version?

I clicked Yes

And the window pop up

This could be due to an incompatibility between this application and the Garmin device.

Same to me with Nuvi 760

I will post here me too what I have done
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Montana650 - Nuvi1490T - iPhone5S (iOS9.2)
    StreetPilot at Galaxy S4 Mini - cracked Nuvi 760
    ----------------------always unpaved----------------------
    tAaKA