Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

update: If I select only one map to compile then unlock then send step 2 will accept the selection and I can upload the map. Looks like Sendmap20 does not like multiple selections compiled into one gmapsupp.img.

2.    Advertissements

Garmin/GPS Systems GMod. GPS V and City Select maps
    GPS V and City Select mapsGPS V and City Select mapsGPS V and City Select mapsGPS V and City Select mapsGPS V and City Select mapsGPS V and City Select maps

Quote Originally Posted by bicycl View Post
    Step 1 works as expected, maps are erased (have sent locked maps and they go poof!)
    Step 2 does not work. Drag and drop and nothing appears in the window. tried add maps and nothing appears in the window. I can add maps from the uncompiled folder, but have tried making gmapsupp all caps, or lower case nochange. tied changing map name no change. Tried moving to different directory, no change.
    Step 3 no problems
    step 4 works if there is a map showing in window from step 2 . Have been able to send locked to GPS to verify maps are on GPS and to verify step 1 works.

I was hoping you could tell me why I am having trouble with step 2 with the gmapsupp.img file and Sendmap20.
    It works fine for me, but there is no reason to do drag/drop other than convenience when selecting a single gmapsupp.img from a source to add it. It makes absolutely no difference to the rest of the process how the [already COMPILED] file is added initially. Your use of the words 'I can add maps from the uncompiled folder ...' concerns me that you're still trying to deal directly with with the multiple little *.img files from the PC install mapping data folder.

Quote Originally Posted by bicycl View Post
    update: If I select only one map to compile then unlock then send step 2 will accept the selection and I can upload the map. Looks like Sendmap20 does not like multiple selections compiled into one gmapsupp.img.
    But you ARE trying to upload only one [already compiled] gmapsupp.img aren't you? That's what i was doing with that pictorial tut, adding the little Norfolk Island 'gmapsupp.img' to Sendmap20's GUI which i then successfully sent to a StreetPilot 2610 [the oldest unit i have similar to your GPS V, uses non-NT mapping and doesn't have a visible file system either like yours].

Have you been trying to add multiple img files to then join as one GMAPSUPP.IMG and the send it to the unit? Because if that's what you mean by the above 'If I select only one map .....etc.' then why are you doing that? Yes Sendmap can stitch multiple map parts into one file in it's program folder to then ultimately send to the unit in a separate action. That's what the button marked 'Create GMAPSUPP.IMG' is for [lower LH side of GUI], but that is not what i suggested you do using the function as done by MS & MI where you select the basic underlying map parts [tiles] to compile a single img using MS or MI, as i said in Post #7.

Best tell us exactly what you've done or tried to do so far. My posts have only been based on you selecting some parts of the PC installed NA mapping data with the selection tool of MS or MI to make [compile] one single gmapsupp.img up to ~29MB on a USB connected media initially. It is that compiled img file which is then sent to the unit using Sendmap20 with one other function of Sendmap used. Capisce?
    'Thanking Posts' are banned. To thank someone, and/or to see hidden links and content, use the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] button below left of the helpful post then refresh your browser [F5 key]. 'Thanking Posts' are banned.
    Please don't spam. Posts serving no purpose other than to thank or to ask about hidden links are trashed or deleted, it's GPSPower's policy. Please don't spam.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] should make their first post as a new Intro Thread in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

Neil, thanks for hanging in there. What I am trying to do: Step 1) Start MapSource (6.16.3 patched) . Step 2 select the detailed area(s) to send to the GPS. Step 3 Click on transfer to device (usb stick with only root directory, and 1 sub-directory, Garmin). Step 4 run gimgunlock on the gmapsupp.img file (i have been running from command prompt to check for error msg just seeing ignore statements) Step 5 start sendmap20 (6.7 Pro). Step 6 try to add the gmapsupp.img to window by drag and drop and the add map button. No matter what I do, nothing appears in sendmap20's window. Stuck, cannot send map to GPS
    New process (try work around) step 10 start sendmap20. Step 2 Add maps from uncompiled map directory. maps appear in sendmap20's window (map name tels me if I want it or not finding maps by trial and error) step 3 compile maps using create gmapsupp.img button. Step 4) run gimgunlock on gmapsupp.img to unlock. Step 5) remove previously added maps from semdmap20 Step 6) using add mapbutton, add the gmapsupp to sendmap20 window which does work. Step 7)send map to GPS, GPS can use the maps and does not give maps are locked response.
    Next to try: try generating gmapsupp on computer that feeds my other GPS V which has been unlocked normally, and see if sendmap20 will add that gmapsupp to it's window (after unlocking of course)

Garmin/GPS Systems GMod. GPS V and City Select maps
    GPS V and City Select mapsGPS V and City Select mapsGPS V and City Select mapsGPS V and City Select mapsGPS V and City Select mapsGPS V and City Select maps

Sorry missed your last post earlier.

I'm unable to say why you're not able to get sendmap to work for you adding the already compiled gmapsupp.img file. I've tried again with the SP adding a 'non-NT' *OpenStreetMaps map of ~195MB which contains many tiles. Two alternate methods work for me with that unit:

Method 1 [bypasses the GUI]:
    1. Put gmapsupp.ing [unlocked] in the same folder as sendmap.exe
    2. Drag the img onto the exe file
    3. A DOS window opens and shows the upload progress to the unit.

sendmap OSM d d

Method 2 [add the img using the GUI without drag'n'drop]:
    1. Put gmapsupp.ing [unlocked] in the same folder as sendmap.exe
    2. Double-click sendmap.exe to open the GUI
    3. Press 'Add maps' button and the explorer 'Open' window will default to the same folder showing gmapsupp.img
    4. Selecting the img and 'Open' adds the map to the GUI panel
    5. Pressing 'Upload maps to GPS' button shows the progress in the DOS window.

sendmap OSM

If you still can't get sendmap to work, there is another way i've added detail maps to old 'region-only' units like StreetPilots using WebUpdater and command line, but i'm loath to encourage you to use it because i've never tried it with a very old unit such as your GPS V. If you want to read about it, here's the links: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] and [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

Yet another method is to flash the map as an RGN file using Updater.exe. In most 'region-only' older units, the primary detail map [gmapprom.img] is held in region 49 [hex 31] and the supplementary map [gmapsupp.img] is held in region 10 [hex 0A]. Often those regions share space, i.e. erasing a supplementary map from rgn10 will allow a larger primary map to be flashed to rgn49 and vice versa. The basemap is held in rgn3 and i did a tut a while back to change regional basemaps in older units: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]. The same principle applies with flashing detail maps to regions 10 & 49.

I have no idea if your unit uses those same regions for map storage which is why i initially suggested using SendMap20 because it's 'smart' enough to know where to flash gmapsupp.img in all units old and new. It will even create a 'Map' folder for very modern 'file system' units which can use it. If you want to try one of the other methods using WebUpdater or Updater.exe i'm willing to help you but the risk will be all yours of course. Unfortunately i don't have access to a GPS V to 'dump' regions to see what's stored where, but you can do that if you wish. Read from Post 31 onwards here: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]. Also unfortunately as you'll see reading those posts, it's difficult to get the 'old hands' interested in helping with such old units these days, i was pretty much flying solo over there.

*If you want more up-to-date maps, you could also try to flash an OSM img for your required location in the states. They are kept right up to date:
    Code:
    Please Login or Register to see the links
    'Thanking Posts' are banned. To thank someone, and/or to see hidden links and content, use the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] button below left of the helpful post then refresh your browser [F5 key]. 'Thanking Posts' are banned.
    Please don't spam. Posts serving no purpose other than to thank or to ask about hidden links are trashed or deleted, it's GPSPower's policy. Please don't spam.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] should make their first post as a new Intro Thread in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].