Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Garmin/GPS Systems GMod. Firmware downgrade for 721xs to recognize custom maps
    Firmware downgrade for 721xs to recognize custom mapsFirmware downgrade for 721xs to recognize custom mapsFirmware downgrade for 721xs to recognize custom mapsFirmware downgrade for 721xs to recognize custom mapsFirmware downgrade for 721xs to recognize custom mapsFirmware downgrade for 721xs to recognize custom mapsFirmware downgrade for 721xs to recognize custom maps

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    I found v3.6 on my 421s SD card and with steps sent by Neil were able to downgrade.
    Still bus trying to get the maps to work tho.
    Earlier versions from Perry site:
    Code:
    Please Login or Register to see the links
    Hi I also ran into same issue today with my newer unit I bought.
    I upgraded to latest version V4.30 and now my custom maps no longer work on the Unit and I can't find the older firmware available online anything before v4.10 if someone can help will be appreciated...
    Sorry, earliest i have is V4.20 for HWID1069. It's the same version in both ChartplottersUpdatewithSDcard_20140306.exe and ChartplottersUpdatewithSDcard_2014090.exe. Both those files are available in this thread.

Maybe someone else has packs with versions before 4.10.
    'Thanking Posts' are banned. To thank someone, and/or to see hidden links and content, use the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] button below left of the helpful post then refresh your browser [F5 key]. 'Thanking Posts' are banned.
    Please don't spam. Posts serving no purpose other than to thank or to ask about hidden links are trashed or deleted, it's GPSPower's policy. Please don't spam.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] should make their first post as a new Intro Thread in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

2.    Advertissements

Thanks Neil!

I found v3.60 on my one backup but struggling to get it to see my maps =(
    If I use the unmodified map its says maps are locked then I unlock then it does not detect the maps
    Have tried Garmin unlocker alternative 7.16 and 8 no joy

Not sure if I did the factory reset before or after the downgrade which might be the cause perhaps?
    And seeing that it detects the locked map on the sd card the FAT32 formatted 8GB card is working fine?

Will version 4.2 allow custom maps still?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for the help

Edit:

Sorted thanks!

Did factory reset
    Reloaded v3.6
    Removed Card
    Factory Reset
    Copied latest copied of maps to card
    Used gimgtools-0.02-win32 to unlock
    Opened Garmin Homeport
    Deleted untitled.adm via Homeport
    Exported waypoints
    Insert into Garmin and powered on

Working like a charm thanks this website contains a lot of great info

Garmin/GPS Systems GMod. Firmware downgrade for 721xs to recognize custom maps
    Firmware downgrade for 721xs to recognize custom mapsFirmware downgrade for 721xs to recognize custom mapsFirmware downgrade for 721xs to recognize custom mapsFirmware downgrade for 721xs to recognize custom mapsFirmware downgrade for 721xs to recognize custom mapsFirmware downgrade for 721xs to recognize custom mapsFirmware downgrade for 721xs to recognize custom maps

Working like a charm thanks this website contains a lot of great info
    Yep it does. Pays to look, eh. Thanks for posting the working procedure, much appreciated. Do you have version 3.60 firmware on both the 720 and 421s now, with custom maps working ok? If so, could you please post the firmware packs(s) as they will most certainly be helpful for other members. Post to any of these sites:
    Code:
    or any favourite hoster site of your own. If you need help with that, just [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] or any other staff member.
    'Thanking Posts' are banned. To thank someone, and/or to see hidden links and content, use the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] button below left of the helpful post then refresh your browser [F5 key]. 'Thanking Posts' are banned.
    Please don't spam. Posts serving no purpose other than to thank or to ask about hidden links are trashed or deleted, it's GPSPower's policy. Please don't spam.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] should make their first post as a new Intro Thread in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

Hi,

I have a Garmin GPSMap-741xs and I cannot read Custom Maps on it. I tried to download ChartPlotters_FW_09Sept2014.rar]ChartPlotters_FW_09Sept2014.rar from the links provided on this thread, but they no longer work (deleted by owner?). Can anyone supply a new link where I can download this firmware?

Hi Neil,

I have a Garmin GPSMAP 741xs plotter and want to downgrade the firmware to restore custom maps. Your link no longer works (deleted by owner).
    Do you still have the firmware file, and if so, how can I get it from you?

kevinvh

You can download previous firmwares from here:
    Code:
    {Thanks to Vlasto1 from the Rusfishing forum for this link.}

I do not know the exact HWID of 741xs, but I guess that it is one of 1665/1666/1667/1668.

Code:

Navigation software expert Firmware downgrade for 721xs to recognize custom maps
    Firmware downgrade for 721xs to recognize custom maps

@kevinvh

The GPSMAP® 741xs is a legacy device and its firmware does not contain the new piracy protection.
    This unit will support custom maps if you process such maps with a GCCMaps0.0.3 patcher!

Do you mean that custom maps will work with the current firmware so long as they are created with GSSMaps0.0.3 patcher?

Important User Firmware downgrade for 721xs to recognize custom maps
    Firmware downgrade for 721xs to recognize custom mapsFirmware downgrade for 721xs to recognize custom maps

@kevinvh
    What's written in Post #28 is exactly what's meant, "processed" not "created" i.e. existing custom maps such as OpenSeaMaps are treated so they become usable in the device. You will need to search for GCCMapsPatch0.0.3 (which is short for 'Garmin Chartplotter's Custom Maps Patch Version 0.0.3') as it's not allowed here now due to changes to forum rules, some years back.

Hello,

Garmin now had blocked the possibility of installing old firmware in some devices if not all of them.

I learnt it yesterday when i installed version 6.80 in my garmin 721 and i lost the possibility of returning to any other firmware. Holding the button now does not work now, it worked in 6.5 or any other old firmware. I have done it before from 6.5 to whatever firmware i liked for example 2.8. But now Garmin 721 does not offer the possibility of installing old firmware. Garmin has blocked it to not allow the use of other maps made by third party sources. In my case it was a local map made by an individual for a very small 10kmx10km area.

Is there any way to get rid of an installed 6.8 version and return to old firmwares?

Could somebody help me finding firmware 3.8 and 4.2 for 721 for my other unit?

Any help will be appreciated. I have only 2.8 old firmware and modern ones.

Navigation software expert Firmware downgrade for 721xs to recognize custom maps
    Firmware downgrade for 721xs to recognize custom maps

@ferabella

For the GPSMAP 721 unit, there is no point in going back to the old firmware, just patching your custom map with GCCMaps0.0.3 is enough.