Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

Default Garmin 2789LMT buying from Garmin the Europe update and adding JCV, premium content?

I have a new Garmin with the new locked firmware, I'm willing to pay the $99.99 for the Europe maps and it states that premium content like junction view and 3d is only for devices that come preloaded, I read old posts and understand that. Does anybody know if I can download the JCV and 3d file from other sources and integrate it into the paid map?

My device comes with US maps, so I tried an unlocked cyclops speed/stop sign camera and it works, so I'm hoping maybe I can use the JCV files from other sources. Just looking for confirmation before spending the money. If not I'm thinking of just getting the older model or a preinstalled Europe.

Thanks

2.    Advertissements

Garmin/GPS Systems GMod. Garmin 2789LMT buying from Garmin the Europe update and adding JCV, premium content?
    Garmin 2789LMT buying from Garmin the Europe update and adding JCV, premium content?Garmin 2789LMT buying from Garmin the Europe update and adding JCV, premium content?Garmin 2789LMT buying from Garmin the Europe update and adding JCV, premium content?Garmin 2789LMT buying from Garmin the Europe update and adding JCV, premium content?Garmin 2789LMT buying from Garmin the Europe update and adding JCV, premium content?Garmin 2789LMT buying from Garmin the Europe update and adding JCV, premium content?Garmin 2789LMT buying from Garmin the Europe update and adding JCV, premium content?

You can simply add the relevant jcv file, in your case that would be D3048190A.JCV for the current NTU EU 2016.10 map [2xxx & 3xxx series use the same jcv file]. But sorry your unit doesn't support 3D Buildings and Landmarks.

You can also use Voice Recognition files if you wish to have Voice Command active, but only if you add the complete EU map. Look for ASR'2' files in the map thread, post #32.

EDIT: LOL! Looks like the training paid off, i pipped 'Pheidippides' this time. Score 2 all now i think .
    Last edited by Neil; 2nd June 2015 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Add edit note. [Pheidippides = Ellinas]
    'Thanking Posts' are banned. To thank someone, and/or to see hidden links and content, use the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] button below left of the helpful post then refresh your browser [F5 key]. 'Thanking Posts' are banned.
    Please don't spam. Posts serving no purpose other than to thank or to ask about hidden links are trashed or deleted, it's GPSPower's policy. Please don't spam.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] should make their first post as a new Intro Thread in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

Navigation software expert Garmin 2789LMT buying from Garmin the Europe update and adding JCV, premium content?
    Garmin 2789LMT buying from Garmin the Europe update and adding JCV, premium content?

JCV is an unlocked file, you can find it from other sources & copy it in the directory Garmin\JCV\xxxxxxx.JCV in your MIcroSD. Your device doesn't support 3D buildings so you don't have to worry about that. If i'm not mistaken 2798 uses the same JCV file with 34xx series. One thing to have in mind is that JCV is a version depended file meaning that you have to use the additional file that comes with the map at every release and change it with every update.

Neil you were faster this time .....
    Last edited by Ellinas; 2nd June 2015 at 07:22 AM.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Thanks for the quick reply, I'll try buying the map and report back. This is the first time since the firmware lockdown that I bought a Garmin for a roadtrip in Europe, so didn't realize that I should buy an old model. I do like the big 7 inch screen, so I'll splurge and spend the $100 on the Europe map.

Do I need to add the other files such as Address Search, InstaSearch, FastRouthing or is that all included with the maps.

Thanks for letting me know that 3d is not compatible.

Garmin/GPS Systems GMod. Garmin 2789LMT buying from Garmin the Europe update and adding JCV, premium content?
    Garmin 2789LMT buying from Garmin the Europe update and adding JCV, premium content?Garmin 2789LMT buying from Garmin the Europe update and adding JCV, premium content?Garmin 2789LMT buying from Garmin the Europe update and adding JCV, premium content?Garmin 2789LMT buying from Garmin the Europe update and adding JCV, premium content?Garmin 2789LMT buying from Garmin the Europe update and adding JCV, premium content?Garmin 2789LMT buying from Garmin the Europe update and adding JCV, premium content?Garmin 2789LMT buying from Garmin the Europe update and adding JCV, premium content?

Check if you have the corresponding files for your NA map, if not sure what files to look for then check the unit's GarminDevice.xml found in Garmin root folder and search for "<Name>External Point Addressing</Name>", "<Name>InstaSearch</Name>" and "<Name>FastRouting</Name>" etc. If not there don't bother.
    'Thanking Posts' are banned. To thank someone, and/or to see hidden links and content, use the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] button below left of the helpful post then refresh your browser [F5 key]. 'Thanking Posts' are banned.
    Please don't spam. Posts serving no purpose other than to thank or to ask about hidden links are trashed or deleted, it's GPSPower's policy. Please don't spam.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] should make their first post as a new Intro Thread in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

Came back from my trip in Europe. So I bought the Europe map for the 2789 as a download from Garmin and then added the corresponding JCV and other files. Even the unlocked speed camera alerts worked on the device so only the maps are locked out. I had a unlocked 3589 on my last 2 trips to Europe and comparing the 5 inch device vs the 7 inch device, I think I really prefer the bigger device, even if I have to now pay for the maps.