Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

help Difference in Speed reading on iGO and real gauge

Dear Friends,

I notice that there is exactly 10 km/h between the reading of speed on iGO while driving and the real gauge in the car.

for example on iGO 90 km/h and the actual speed is 100 km/h

can anyone help to identify what is the problem???

2.    Advertissements

Are you sure the real speed is 100, thus IGO is wrong?
    Isn't it the other way around? I think it is, since speedometers in cars are legally (obliged by law) showing faster speeds than the real speed
    Also tyre pressure is of influence, and the tyre size, and ...

Quote Originally Posted by G-ulash View Post
    Are you sure the real speed is 100, thus IGO is wrong?
    Isn't it the other way around? I think it is, since speedometers in cars are legally (obliged by law) showing faster speeds than the real speed
    Also tyre pressure is of influence, and the tyre size, and ...
    I guess there is something wrong with iGO settings or number of satellite involved for the car position and speed is not enough. actually we need some expert here to identify what is the problem!!!
    about the speed yes I'm sure about the difference.

iGO Enthusiast Difference in Speed reading on iGO and real gauge
    Difference in Speed reading on iGO and real gaugeDifference in Speed reading on iGO and real gaugeDifference in Speed reading on iGO and real gaugeDifference in Speed reading on iGO and real gaugeDifference in Speed reading on iGO and real gaugeDifference in Speed reading on iGO and real gaugeDifference in Speed reading on iGO and real gauge

Well, trust me, very much chance is that car speedometer is wrong. It is old story.
    You don't need experts, you need only proffesional equipement. Reporters from car magazines do tests all the time. I remember some of german big test where noone car showed no real speed! Some of theme made mistakes for more then 20km/h! Bigger speed. No one shows less.

Quote Originally Posted by Boki_Srb View Post
    Well, trust me, very much chance is that car speedometer is wrong. It is old story.
    You don't need experts, you need only proffesional equipement. Reporters from car magazines do tests all the time. I remember some of german big test where noone car showed no real speed! Some of theme made mistakes for more then 20km/h! Bigger speed. No one shows less.
    Well, I will test the speedometer and I will return back to tell you what happend.

Flat road at a constant speed the GPS is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Boki_Srb View Post
    The problem from the car speedometer, you are right 100%.

Global Moderator Difference in Speed reading on iGO and real gauge
    Difference in Speed reading on iGO and real gauge

There are few things that is good to know:

Tolerance for car instruments is 10% (max), so at 100 km/h it is about 10 km/h.
    This is not error only from instrument, tires can be new or old, pressure can be higher or lower, and so on..., which influence the result.

To avoid error in such way that someone is driving faster then allowed (when instrument is showing that speed), all instruments are set to show about +10% (max).

Result is that ALL car instruments are ALWAYS showing speed somewhere between actual speed and +10%

So when navigation is showing LOWER speed than car instrument, it is likely that actual speed is shown by navigation.
    NO THANKS POSTS ALLOWED, NO LIKES NEEDED, ALL MIRRORS APPRECIATED
    MB Moon night sky
    Please read: >[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]<, >[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]< and >[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]<
    Password for all my uploads (if needed): gpspower.net

In short, see post #2

Master

A friend of mine used to work for Volkswagen a few years ago. He tells me at that time their design target was for the speedometer to read actual road speed +7%
    Last edited by k1w1_123; 9th June 2015 at 08:11 PM. Reason: sent too soon - Andriod phone buttons too small :)