The perfect companion for your next outdoor adventure. Seek, find, record and return home with Handy GPS.
This app is a real navigation tool designed for outdoors sports like hiking, bushwalking, mountain biking, kayaking and trail riding. Its simple to use and works even in the remotest back country since it doesn't need network connectivity. It allows you to work in UTM or lat/lon coordinates so you can use it with your paper topographic maps. Waypoints and track logs recorded in the field can be be viewed later in Google Earth.
* Shows your current location in easting/northing (UTM) or in lat/lon.
* Shows your speed, direction of travel, and total distance travelled in either metric of imperial/US units.
* Can store your current location as a waypoint, and can store your track as a "breadcrumb" trail to show where you've been.
* Waypoints and breadcrumb trails can be imported from and exported to Google Earth KML and GPX files.
* Allows manual entry of waypoints in UTM or lat/lon coords.
* Can guide you to a waypoint with the "Goto" screen using true or compass bearings.
* Has a magnetic compass page.
* Computes the local magnetic declination at startup using the IGRF-11 model, for use on the goto page.
* Can display either a simple map of your current location and the stored waypoints, or a Google Map if a data connection is available.
* Supports the world-wide WGS84 datum along with the Australian datums and map grids AGD66, AGD84, GDA94, AGD, GDA, AMG, and MGA. (You can also use WGS84 for NAD83 maps).
* Shows satellite locations and signal strengths graphically.
* Can display simple or MGRS grid refs.
* Has online help pages.
* Thoroughly tested by the developer on bushwalks.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Extra features available only in the paid version:
* A custom datum can be configured using ellipsoid and shift parameters.
* An email containing a clickable link showing your location can be sent to a friend using gmail.
* An elevation profile of your route can be shown.
* Can average GPS locations over time to give a more accurate result.
* Can take photos, which are optionally geotagged, directly from the app.
* Unlimited number of waypoints and breadcrumb trail points.
* Show sun rise and set times.
Permissions required: (1) GPS - to determine your location, (2) Network access - for access to Google Map tiles, (3) SD card access - to load and store waypoints and tracklogs, and (4) Camera access for taking pics.
Disclaimer: You use this app at your own risk. The developer accepts no responsibility for you getting lost as a result of using this app. Batteries in mobile devices can go flat. An alternate power source is recommended for extended hikes.
Note that this app is also now available for iPhone. Please see the App Store for details.
8.8: Added a units factor field to the custom datum to support eastings and northings in units such as feet (full version only).
8.7: Added a menu option and extended toolbar button to turn on the torch (flashlight) if its available on device (full version only).
8.6: Added waypoint-to-waypoint option to show distance and direction from one waypoint to another. Also, when waypoint created by double-click on map, make it the current waypoint.