Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 108
  1. #91
    Important User

    osiris4isis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Farside of the Sun
    Posts
    2,645
    Rep Power
    634

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cnfhbr View Post
    In my opinion, it warns of approaching the ramp to service area.
    Most likely, the alert "Man/Women "bathroom" icon" is the "Exit to service area", see the screenshot:
    Code:
    Please Login or Register to see the links
    Exit 服務區 = Exit to Service Area
    I see; good picture. So it's just a "road notification" not anything that can be "fined" if broken like speedcam. In the 2012 version there was another .gpi file (Tunnel.gpi) along with Speedcam.gpi which I did not see exists for 2015.

  2.    Advertissements


  3. #92
    Important User

    osiris4isis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Farside of the Sun
    Posts
    2,645
    Rep Power
    634

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the_bookworm View Post
    Just tried with some DateTime options - alert type "Along Road" distance=300m and speed=0 - and this one was triggered on my old nuvi, but it seems to work on android StreetPilot... On SP the icon is still visible, but no any visible or audible alert are shown.
    Also tried different type (Tour Guide) for nuvi, but the alert was trigered again.
    So, it seems DateTime depend on the software version.

    On the other hand, I got only visual alert on the SP, while there is audio- & visual alert on the nuvi with absolutely same .gpi file.

    osiris4isis, here is my test point, so if you want you can prepare some .gpi for testing (<Geo><Lat>42.1829</Lat><Lon>24.7382</Lon></Geo>)

    UPD: Tested same poi-set on GarminMobilePC - the alert was triggered, there was both visual and sound, but the tone was standard "ding-ding", not the one the poi was compiled with.
    Ok, so "triggering" means
    1. Notification info bar at top of screen
    AND
    2. Alert announcement or sound
    3. Speaker icon at left side of screen
    I believe the map icon will always be shown when you are near. Take example of directional alert. If you place two directional redlight alerts each going opposite direction near an intersection (lets say one northbound and the other southbound). If you drive northbound going toward it, you will see the map icon before any triggering, as you enter the range of the alert, you will see notification bar at top and sound. You will also see speaker icon on left side which you can pressed for more info on alert. Driving pass it, the notification info bar and speaker icon will disappeared. Approaching the south alert, you will see map icon and you might see speaker icon but you will NOT see notification info bar nor sound. This is the behavior on android Street Pilot and similar behavior on Nuvi's as well.

    If you are using GPI Creator Toolkit to build your .gpi and you choose predefine tone instead of custom wav/mp3, you should get tone on android Street Pilot. The only time you don't get any sound is when you use wav/mp3, it tried to play it but couldn't so it will be silenced.

    For DateTime testing there are two conditions
    1. Alert is triggered when you are in the date/time period specified in the alert
    AND
    2. Alert does NOT triggered when you are outside the range of date/time
    On devices not able to handle DateTime, I believe it's just ignored it (that is, it will triggered ALL the time) so condition 2 will failed.

    Regarding tones. If you are using GPI Creator ToolKit 4.0 and use predefined tone, there are 5 possible value (from 0-5) that you can use. However, the values used in the Taiwan .gpi are 6 and 10 (which is outside GPI Creator ToolKit range) This is why I think they didn't use it to build the .gpi file. They might use a newer version of it or totally different software to build it. I only have android Street Pilot to test so I'm pretty much limited on what I can do. If you have hex editor, I can tell you the address to change the tone value to 0-5 for any Taiwan alert to see if you get sound. This will at least confirm my theory and might validate the fact that those tone setting (6 and 10) are for specific software to use on GarminMobilePC.

    Tell me the time periods (more than one if you like) you want DateTime to triggerred for testing and I'll create .gpi for you to test.
    Last edited by osiris4isis; 13th April 2015 at 19:11.

  4. #93
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Bulgaria
    Age
    39
    Posts
    16
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by osiris4isis View Post
    Ok, so "triggering" means
    1. Notification info bar at top of screen
    AND
    2. Alert announcement or sound
    3. Speaker icon at left side of screen
    ...
    If you are using GPI Creator Toolkit to build your .gpi and you choose predefine tone instead of custom wav/mp3, you should get tone on android Street Pilot. The only time you don't get any sound is when you use wav/mp3, it tried to play it but couldn't so it will be silenced.
    ...
    Tell me the time periods (more than one if you like) you want DateTime to triggerred for testing and I'll create .gpi for you to test.
    The speaker icon on the left side is shown when you receive another alert or you are approaching next turn, final destination, e.t.c. In this case the notification bar hides and the "speaker" icon is shown. After you go outside the alert zone, the speaker hides. That's how the nuvi 2455 handles it.
    Yes, I'm using the GPI Creator toolkit and use custom audio for all points, so, maybe you're right - something might be muted. Anyway I still have the directions speaked.


    Please, use as time period: 16:00 - 20:00 (6:00pm - 8:00pm). Also for testing purposes you can do them any other day - let's say, the alert should go on Mon, Wed, Fri, but skip the rest of the week. Is it ok? And not directional alert.

    It seems that newer devices (incl. StreetPilot) are capable of dealing with DateTime alerts, while the old nuvi's not.

  5. #94
    Navigation software expert

    Cnfhbr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    CIS
    Posts
    1,209
    Rep Power
    476

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by osiris4isis View Post
    In the 2012 version there was another .gpi file (Tunnel.gpi) along with Speedcam.gpi which I did not see exists for 2015.
    Download link:
    Code:
    Please Login or Register to see the links

  6. #95
    Important User

    osiris4isis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Farside of the Sun
    Posts
    2,645
    Rep Power
    634

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cnfhbr View Post
    Download link:
    Code:
    Please Login or Register to see the links
    Thanks. Preliminary scan seem to indicate that POI+ directory contained "dual icons" (24x24 and 48x48) capability while POI directory does not. They are both using Tones value of 6 (which is outside GPI Creator Tookit capability)

  7. #96
    Important User

    osiris4isis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Farside of the Sun
    Posts
    2,645
    Rep Power
    634

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the_bookworm View Post
    The speaker icon on the left side is shown when you receive another alert or you are approaching next turn, final destination, e.t.c. In this case the notification bar hides and the "speaker" icon is shown. After you go outside the alert zone, the speaker hides. That's how the nuvi 2455 handles it.
    Yes, I'm using the GPI Creator toolkit and use custom audio for all points, so, maybe you're right - something might be muted. Anyway I still have the directions speaked.


    Please, use as time period: 16:00 - 20:00 (6:00pm - 8:00pm). Also for testing purposes you can do them any other day - let's say, the alert should go on Mon, Wed, Fri, but skip the rest of the week. Is it ok? And not directional alert.

    It seems that newer devices (incl. StreetPilot) are capable of dealing with DateTime alerts, while the old nuvi's not.
    Here is one alert at LatLon=42.1829,24.7382 of type=Proximity with range=400m not directional. Using predefine symbol="Place of Interest" and predefine tone=Tone. With DateTime restriction on M,W,F from 16:00-20:00.
    Spoiler: .

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

  8. #97
    Navigation software expert
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    City
    Posts
    287
    Rep Power
    438

    Default

    Here are my translations with my comments in parentheses.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cnfhbr View Post
    1. Man/Women "bathroom" icon:
    Code:
    Please Login or Register to see the links
    4. 2x4 white horizontal dashes with red background:
    Code:
    Please Login or Register to see the links
    7. Exclamation point on top of road *NEW*:
    Code:
    Please Login or Register to see the links
    8. X mark on top of road *NEW*:
    Code:
    Please Login or Register to see the links
    9. Down arrow on top of road *NEW*:
    Code:
    Please Login or Register to see the links
    1.
    XX Service Area (where XX is the name of a freeway exit)
    XX Service Area Ahead
    Category:
    SpeedCam/Road Shoulder Announcement NT V2015.10

    4.
    Please Keep A Distance Between Cars
    Please Keep A Distance Between Cars
    Category:
    SpeedCam V2015.10

    7.
    Road Shoulder Opened for This Road Segment
    Road Shoulder Opened for This Road Segment
    Category:
    SpeedCam/Road Shoulder Announcement NT V2015.10

    8.
    Road Shoulder Opening Ended (i.e. it is illegal to drive on the shoulder of this road segment)
    Road Shoulder Opening Ended Ahead
    Category:
    SpeedCam/Road Shoulder Announcement NT V2015.10

    9.
    Road Shoulder Opened (i.e. it is legal to drive on the road shoulder, usually in certain time period)
    Road Shoulder Opened Ahead
    Category:
    SpeedCam/Road Shoulder Announcement NT V2015.10

    Quote Originally Posted by Cnfhbr View Post
    2. White camera with red background:
    Code:
    Please Login or Register to see the links
    3. White dollar sign with blue background:
    Code:
    Please Login or Register to see the links
    5. Black camera with red background:
    Code:
    Please Login or Register to see the links
    6. White exclamation point with red background:
    I have not found such alerts in both GPI versions (V2012.10 and V2015.10).
    2.
    Speed Camera
    Speed Camera Ahead
    Airport System Junction (the name of the nearby landmark is given)
    Airport System Junction@SW@0
    Category:
    SpeedCam/Road Shoulder Announcement NT V2015.10

    3.
    XX Toll Booth (where XX is the name of the toll booth)
    XX Toll Booth
    Category:
    SpeedCam V2012.20

    5.
    Citation by Video Recording (speeding is detected by video recording to give a citation)
    Citation by Video Recording Ahead
    SW@-1
    Category:
    SpeedCam/Road Shoulder Announcement NT V2015.10

    6.
    ??? (no screenshot available)

  9. #98
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Bulgaria
    Age
    39
    Posts
    16
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by osiris4isis View Post
    Here is one alert at LatLon=42.1829,24.7382 of type=Proximity with range=400m not directional. Using predefine symbol="Place of Interest" and predefine tone=Tone. With DateTime restriction on M,W,F from 16:00-20:00.
    Test 1:
    The alert should not be triggered.
    First I've tried in simulation around 11:30 (way outside of time fence).
    The nuvi:
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    There was audio- and visual alert.
    The StreetPilot did not show any alert, but the icon was visible.

    Later, I drive with both nuvi & StreetPilot on (around 19:30 - inside time frame):
    The nuvi:
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Again both sound & top bar on nuvi, but the StreetPilot was silent.


    Tomorrow (Wed) I'll do the driving again, but I expect pretty much the same result - old nuvi is not capable of DateTime option.

    osiris4isis, I suppose your interest is mostly in DateTime option to work, right?

  10. #99
    Important User

    osiris4isis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Farside of the Sun
    Posts
    2,645
    Rep Power
    634

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the_bookworm View Post
    Test 1:
    The alert should not be triggered.
    First I've tried in simulation around 11:30 (way outside of time fence).
    The nuvi:
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    There was audio- and visual alert.
    The StreetPilot did not show any alert, but the icon was visible.

    Later, I drive with both nuvi & StreetPilot on (around 19:30 - inside time frame):
    The nuvi:
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Again both sound & top bar on nuvi, but the StreetPilot was silent.


    Tomorrow (Wed) I'll do the driving again, but I expect pretty much the same result - old nuvi is not capable of DateTime option.

    osiris4isis, I suppose your interest is mostly in DateTime option to work, right?
    Thanks for the test. Pretty much confirmed what I'm seeing on android Street Pilot, DateTime function "On day" does NOT work. Alert will triggered regardless of it. It's a shame, it would be nice to have it for SchoolZone. I found some discrepancy in Garmin definition of a DateTime function "Day of Week of Month" that exists for .gpx but NOT for .xml Now that's interesting since usually .xml should be more complete. My interest is pretty much general, understanding how Garmin .gpi works.

  11. #100
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Bulgaria
    Age
    39
    Posts
    16
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by osiris4isis View Post
    Thanks for the test. Pretty much confirmed what I'm seeing on android Street Pilot, DateTime function "On day" does NOT work. Alert will triggered regardless of it. It's a shame, it would be nice to have it for SchoolZone. I found some discrepancy in Garmin definition of a DateTime function "Day of Week of Month" that exists for .gpx but NOT for .xml Now that's interesting since usually .xml should be more complete. My interest is pretty much general, understanding how Garmin .gpi works.
    Oh, I think it is the opposite - it does work on android StreetPilot, since I made the test at day not included in DateTime... Just let me check once more - it costs me nothing.

    I really don't see the point if DateTime works fine with gpx-source, but fails with XML. IMHO it only depends of the platform.

 

 
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This website uses cookies
We use cookies to store session information to facilitate remembering your login information, to allow you to save website preferences, to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners.