The purpose of this Post is to present my selfmade software, ManagePoi, with whom manage, configure, and create files. GPI with his own POI and load them on Garmin devices.
This software was born from the need to organize your own POI and to quickly update their devices.
This software allows, once created their own "Profiles" to create the files .GPI safely and quickly, freeing you from having to set every time this or that parameter (I am referring to the Audio Alerts, the Proximity Alerts, the Icons, etc...)
Still not to be determined "perfect", in fact I expect a series of feedback from users of the Forum that will enable and aid the development of the program.
Installing the Program
The program requires no installation, simply extract from the Archive the Folder ManagePoi (including all subfolders) and copy it on your PC at any location of the disk (I recommend NOT using the DeskTop as the working folder, a direct HDD folder is better (ex: D:\Software).
The software package is composed by the root folder (ManagePoi) with inside the executable file (ManagePoi.exe) and a series of accessories files that must reside in the same directory as the executable.
There are 4 subfolders (\Icons, \Audio, \Filters, \Doc), whose content will talk about in UserManul present in \Doc folder.
The software requires:
- A PC with Audio (for Preview of the Proximity Alerts)
- An active Internet connection (for the location of the POI using Google Maps)
- You have installed on your PC the POI Loader software (required) and GPSBabel (if you intend to use the function of filtering POI by geographical area)
- The CSV Source Files in a PC Folder (either local or network located). This software does NOT make Automatic downloads of the POIs, they must be Downloaded and prepared beforehand by the User.
The Program interface
The software interface looks like the following image:
The software allows the management of personal "Profiles".
A profile is nothing more than a Name combined with a series of POIs which are loaded from a certain Source Folder and will be processed according to the particular settings, in another Destination Folder.
The software allows the display of the "POI" in a personal list and allows the editing (changing the coordinates and description) and Search function. Geolocation with Google Maps is also possible
and Street View as well ...
An advanced "Filtering" sistem is available via button "Filter"
The software allows you to Filter POIs of our profile by geographic areas (eg all POIs of the French territory, or Italian one, or any geographical area).
Filters are applied to the list of POI RunTime, no changes are written to the Original Source Files.
The following image shows the application of a filter (France) to a series of Internationals POI (SCDB).
Any Filtering operation can be removed and/or changed at any time. The filtered data are present in the software memory.
This will only take effect on the production of .GPI File, which will contain only the filtered points.
Transactions of filtering may be consecutive, such as:
- Load Profile POI
- Applying a filter and generation of the corresponding GPI.
- Applying another filter and generation of corresponding GPI.
- And so on ...
Once applied a Filter the Main View become as follow:
Infos about the Filter in use and the number of Points filtered are shown (Totals and for each file).
Proceeding Exporting Filtered Data Profile (Files *.Gpx and File .GPI) will be saved in a subfolder of the destination (in the example picture above will create a folder D:\Garmin\POI\ManagePoi\SCDB_WORLD\UK_ROI.
The file will contain the final GPI, as a suffix, the name of the filter (SCDB_UK_ROI.gpi).
This technique allows you to change filter RunTime and generate the data for different geographical areas without overwriting any Data and without setting anything.
The software allows you to add and manage your own Filters:
- Generate your personal Polygon Filter in the following format
Latitude Longitude (<Space> separated), each row is a vertex of the polygon.
The first line must be IDENTICAL to the last (closed polygon)
Here's an example:
- Rename the file as <MyFilter>.Flt (give it a name that identifies the Zone)
- Copy it into the subfolder \Filters.
- Add, if you want, a JPG image that displays the filter you just created (the image file must have the same name of the Filter. The size of the image is, as standard, 500x500 pixels, different images will be resized automatically to fit the pane window.
- ReRun ManagePoi and your filter will be shown in the List of available ones.
More details about this software in the User Manual (ManagePoi_by_FireFox58.pdf) present in \Doc SubFolder.
The User Manual is in Italian Language, I don't have time to translate it in short.
If someones would make this work for me, I post him (or her) the .Doc version
I'm ready to discuss with you any variation or addon, Moon excluded, to enhance the performances and the usability of this software.
Have Fun ...
ManagePoi by FireFox58 - Garmin POI Manager
Versione 1.4.1 released
Version 1.4.1 - 06/14/2015
- Added Icons 44x44 management (just put them in ..\LargeIcons subFolder)
- Fast switching from Standard Icons (22x22) to Large Icons (44x44), and viceversa
A Lot of 44x44 Icons included in the Package
- .GPI Files using Large Icons are identified by suffix "_LI" (LargeIcons) added to File Name
You can fast and simply switch from this view
.. to this one