did anyone experienced shutting down entire navigation system RT4 in certain areas (street, turns..) that every time it is happening on that specific spot? Entire unit is resenting by itself and starting, over and over again on the same spots. I update the firmare but unfortunately that didn't help, what do you think this could be related to charts? I have all Benelux charts from 2011.
So, this is a hardware problem; Crack open the RT4 and swap the harddisk with a new one. It is highly likely that this will solve your problem.
30 GB hardisk with PATA interface (plain old stupid IDE)
Do a sector-by-sector backup if your old disk before fitting a new one just in case things go south.
The new harddisk has to be a FAT32 formatted and partitioned harddrive. That makes a partition max size of 32GB.
For partition-layout, refer to
Last edited by WayneLaPie; 31st January 2016 at 22:39.
Not just any 30GB IDE-drive will do! The one placed in the RT4 is an automotive version, which is extra shock absorbent and can manage high and low temperatures (-20 Celsius to up to 80 Celsius). What you could do, however, is a bit of handy work involving an CF-card, an adapter and some patience:
- Upgrade the system with an update CD (8.31 is the latest version at the moment)
- Replace the HD in the RT4 with an IDE-Compact Flash adaptor and a 32GB Compact Flash (CF) card
- Boot the RT4 and use the upgrade CD from step 1 to install. This step will create the correct partitions on the CF Card
- Copy everything from the old HD to your computer. It is sufficient to save the files and folders. You could save an entire disc image, if you want te be extra safe.
- Remove the CF card from the RT4 and attach it to your computer. Copy the files from the old HD onto the CF card. Do this for all partitions, overwriting the files that were installed by (3).
- Put the CF card back into the RT4 and find that it works!
Bonus is that your CF-card is pretty inexpensive to replace (You can get them as low as 10/15 dollars on eBay, as opposed to an industrial IDE 30GB HDD, which can cost you hundreds of dollars), they're very resilient (shockproof and temperatures between -25 Celsius and up to 85 Celsius) and you still have a backup drive laying around..
Last edited by Frituurman; 4th April 2016 at 11:51. Reason: Just.. because.. :)
thx to all the information.
Worked perfectly with Fiat Ulysse
Took 20 min
Before I did the PS Process.
I have a Citroen C5 2009 and I think it has RT4 also, do you know if it is possible to copy music and maps on it?