Which files to delete to make more room on a Garmin device
If your unit does not have enough space you will need to remove some extra files from the unit's memory. Please be aware that the map update will take place only on the internal memory of the unit, so an SD card will unfortunately not create the additional space the device will need.
To free up the needed space, please connect your unit to your computer with a compatible USB cable and please follow these steps below:
1. If you're using a Windows PC, open the Garmin nüvi drive in MyComputer.
If you're using a Macintosh, open the Garmin nüvi drive located on the desktop.
2. Next open the JPEG folder.
3. Delete out any unwanted photos from this folder.
4. Go back and open the Garmin folder.
5. Open the 'Text' and 'Voice' folders and delete any unwanted voice and text files. For example, if you do not speak French or German then you can delete those language files. Make sure that you keep the languages that you do use, such as American English. Additionally, each language consists of two separate files. One is a .sum file, the other is a .vpm file. You will want to ensure that you keep both files for each language you keep.
6. Finally, you can open the ?Vehicle? folder and delete any unwanted or unused vehicles. You may always re-load these at a later time, should you change your mind.You may now have enough memory on your nüvi for the download to complete. Please note that some units do not have enough internal memory to load the entire map update. In such an instance, you'll be prompted to select a specific region to load into the unit. For these units, you can use MapInstall (which is installed during the update process) to load the rest of the maps to a memory card. I've attached a document that will assist you with this particular process.
Please only delete the files recommended. Do not delete any other files or you may corrupt the software in your nüvi