Code:Please Login or Register to see the links
I am in over my head,
bought a Nuvi 1450 from USA last year
thinking that compatible for MY/SG usage (all the bells and whistle)
Now with localized maps that have JCV and I can use them properly
First it need to be unlocked, okay that can be done
The unit can see the map, and even JCV is active, (in a sense that the map sense the JCV file) but will crash and shutoff the unit.
So i searched around and found someone here that almost similar to my predictament
but for use in Philippines.
I read the instruction regarding rgn...etc
and not very sure... is it not possible taht this unit be flashed firmware to 1460 type
or the one i am looking for is 1350 series firmware
Okay done some proper searching (since it's saturday)
here is basically what I need to do
1. Updater.exe - downloaded
2. RGN_Tool - not yet
3. gupdate.gcd - from the link above 11MB (hope is he right one)
1. Use the RGN_Tool to open the original 1450 US gupdate.gcd
2. Save the boot.bin
3. Open the PH 1360 gupdate.gcd
4. Save the fw_all.bin and fw1_resources.bin
5. Using RGN_Tools load boot.bin from 1450, and fw_all.bin and fw1_resources.bin from the 1360 PH
6. Check the boot.bin hwid to be 972 and change fw_all hwid to be 972 as well
7. Save as out.rgn (or 097201000220.rgn)
8. Use the updater.exe
*****i. Save all including .system or hidden file in another place
*****ii. Delete gupdate.gcd (within .system folder)
*****iii. Copy the out.rgn to a win XP pc along with updater.exe in the same folder
*****iv. Turn the unit into preboot, I will use the 5 sec batt icon to connect
*****v. Connect to a pc and wait for the detection
*****vi. Select the USB device and when detected, will then click okay
*****vii. Let it update and when finish, ?safely remove hardware?
*****viii. Disconnect cable and let it restart (is hard reset, the hold bottom , required?)
so that is the step. Have i missed anything?
Also, my most important Question, can this be done using 1460 Sing/Mal [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] in replacement to the 1360 PH firmware?
so I got all the required software
- Original GUPDATE.gcd
- 1360 PH .gcd
- 1460 MAL/SG gcd
So I was thinking to try to mke a rgn file with Original boot.bin, 1460 fw_all.bin and fw1_resources.bin.
Made one using the above spec, but stop short of using Updater.exe to flash it to my unit
Is this config gonna work?
throw me a line here, help......
with the popularity of this thread getting..
I finally got the unit as where I want it to be
lest there be others coming here asking me how I did it
and since i got what I wanted,
I leave here my process
1. I build 3 rgn file, original 1450 GCD, Ori boot.ini+1360PH fw(xx).ini and ori boot.ini+1460MY/SG fw(xx).ini (named them out1.rgn, out2.rgn, and out3.rgn, respectively)
2. Download the updater.exe and extract it to desktop (winxp SP3)
3. first copy out2.rgn to the extracted updater.exe folder
4. turn on the nuvi unit boot till main page
5. press and hold the battery icon ~ 8sec until the screen changes to another
6. connect the unit to a free USB port, let windows detect and install appropriate software
7. after the windows successfully install the software, drag the out2.rgn to the updater.exe icon
8. a program will start, select the USB connection with the unit properly detected
9. press okay/next (cant remember) and let the program go its way..erasing, loading, blah..blah..blah
10. when finished, the program will say so, and the unit will reboot to normal usb/mass storage
11. Disc the unit using safe removal method
12. the unit will boot to normal condition. For me it hanged at the locale selection, but found out it was due to satellite searching, wait a bit and it will prompt for further searching or turn off the antenna, turn it off if you are inside building
13. Now with the map (on the sd card) loaded, I find a confirmed place where Junction view is available but crash/shut off my unit previously, and do a simulation run
14. WEEEE!!!!!! no crash, and the screen split in half...but sadly the pic of JCV say this unit not compatible with the map JCV...Bummer
15. Used the out1.rgn (original) to flash again with method above, gone back to what i see normally, run the same simulation test... crash!!!!boom!!!bang!!!!
16. and with no reply on the possibility to use the 1460my/sg gcd, i just wing it and flash wit the method above
17. all goes well, the unit seems flashed successfully, and the mass storage is bootable. Disconnect, and boot it up
18. run simulation test and wadya know.. works like a charm, the JCV just popped up
19. actual run was not done, but it really took a long time to hook back up with the sats, normal I guess
After thoughts (after 2hours..lol)
1. there seems to be some other extra function, phone number, exits etc, seems more stuff than vanilla 1450
2. It seems laggy in the simul run but yet to be properly tested, maybe because of the POIs
3. Is the garmin sofwre "that" modular with mixing this and that will bear different results?
well it seems I am a happy camper, and thanks for all the help, really, the post on other threads did help a lot for me to understand what I am supposed to do.
End point, I manage to run localised map with JCV enabled on a non-localised unit, and not bricking it
thanks again all, any q can ask me here or pm
i follow your instruction and successfully converted my Garmin 1350 to SG/MY firmware. Version 3.10
i loaded with Malfreemaps 2012.10 with JCV.
i put the unlocked img into /Map
and JCV into /.System/JCV
yet i dont see the JCV from my garmin when i approach a junction. any advise?
P/S : instead of taking 3 GCD, US + PH + SG/MY. i only combine US boot.ini + SG/MY FW.bin. am i right this way?
I don't have that map, but i do have [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] (Type 3, with JCV file). With any map's corresponding JCV file, only a percentage of junctions in the major cities have a corresponding JunctionView, and some smaller cities and towns have none. If you dl CNNTSGMY2011.40 you can test your fw by putting your nuvi into simuation mode, setting your location via Where to->Cities as 'Singapore, SINGAPORE' which should put you on Saint Andrews Road. Choose '1 Buyong Rd, SINGAPORE' from Where To->Address then drive there in simulation, it's only 2 turns away. There is a junction view at the turnoff from Stamford Rd to Buyong Rd. If your fw is now SG/MY you will see it, otherwise your 1350 will crash and reboot when it tries to load the JCV.
I did not combine US+PH+SG/MY together
I did the 1st using US+PH, this does not crash the unit when a JCV is shown
but it gave me a error saying "The JCV for this map is not compatible with this unit"
so I use the original (US) boot.ini with all SG/MY FW all.bin from 1460 and this work flawlessly
Like Neil said
there is only places that show the JCV
you have to have the route for it to shows
for MFM map the JCV is quite comprehensive
I am from penang so if I were to set my location in the city center and navigate to the mainland, there is some JCV to show,
plus on the simulation run, pressing the top left hand corner (the distance to turn) would let you scan through all turns coming up, and those with JCV will highlight the lower "Junction View" wording
pressing that will show the JCV file associate with the Turn/Junction
after re-reading your post
what do you mean
"i put the unlocked img into /Map
and JCV into /.System/JCV"
the JVC is correct place if you place the map on the unit
for me, I place both file on the microSD card
the location as per-below
gmapsupp.img is placed on :SD/Garmin
while the JCV is on :SD/Garmin/JCV
you should try it
or you could try placing the gmapsupp in the .system folder itself and see if that works