Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 65
  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Not saying
    Posts
    114
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I have the 765T. Which .JCV works? I am guessing the largest version but if Garmin decided to do some serious compression with their images, that would be ideal. Please a thank you.

  2.    Advertissements


  3. #22
    Member +
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    upper left coast
    Posts
    63
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frustated XT user View Post
    I have the 765T. Which .JCV works? I am guessing the largest version but if Garmin decided to do some serious compression with their images, that would be ideal. Please a thank you.
    This is the smallest D3153040A.JCV 44,3MB LaneAssist and it will work as stated earlier in the thread. The largest should as well, and the difference has been reported to be a few more intersections shown in the larger jcv's, but more significantly, the image is more "photo real" in the largest file. I have experimented with several on an earlier version of NT2012 and all I tried seemed to work in a 1490(small 44, med 400, and large 700MB+). I see you did participate in the thread on the 2012.10, so suggest you try a small and bigger file (depending on what your needs are), simulate a route, and pick the one you like. I believe there is another thread that discusses that basically all the jcvs for a given map work, you just get different aspect ratio, resolution, etc....
    I tried the D3060040A.JCV 757,3MB LaneAssistFull D3191030A.JCV 449,1MB LaneAssistPortrait, and D3153040A.JCV 44,3MB LaneAssist on an obscure interchange and saw two images in each, the full was higher resolution than the mid size, but both were full size and the showed trees in the background. The D3153040A.JCV 44,3MB LaneAssist was actually better resolution of the road and lanes than the 449MB file, but it did not show (blurred out) the background trees, etc. It appears the smaller file has the same utility, but focuses on the lane features not the background. In another post for an earlier version NT2012 it was reported the associated small jcv showed approximately 5 of 8 interchange pictures in the San Francisco area. Don't know if this would be true for this example.....Since there is lots of SD card space and the files don't seem to slow the unit loading it seems logical to use the big file.
    Last edited by floydo; 14th November 2011 at 02:04. Reason: Added experiment results for different jcv's

  4. #23
    Senior Member Strephon Alkhalikoi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts, United States
    Posts
    264
    Rep Power
    164

    Default

    Floydo, based upon tests I ran at the time 2012.20 was released (see [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]), there is a significant reduction (estimated at 90%) in the number of junctions with images in the small file, regardless of whether the images in a JCV file are photorealistic or not.

    While I don't agree with your testing method, I agree with the general sentiment in that Frustrated should use the large (750+MB) file since it has all the junctions and displays them in full-screen glory. A proper test should not focus on just one intersection, but should run a route, such as what I did for my tests.

    Now, I am only speculating on this, but I believe we should have six different JCV files:
    • Small JCV file for legacy units supporting full-screen Junction View (anything pre-2012)
    • Large JCV file for legacy units supporting full-screen Junction View (the 750+MB file for anything pre-2012)
    • nüvi 30 JCV file (non-photoreal full-screen views)
    • JCV file for nüvi 40/50 and legacy units supporting split-screen Junction View (photoreal split-screen views)
    • JCV file for Advanced units (photoreal split-screen views)
    • JCV file for Prestige units (photoreal Bird's Eye split-screen views)

    I'm sure we'll see more files than this since Garmin likes to screw things up.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    --Douglas Adams

  5. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Not saying
    Posts
    114
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Strephon Alkhalikoi is spot on. I download the 45+ MB version and either it's not working or it is missing all the key junction views. I'll try the insanely large 750 MB file and I'll report if there any anomalies.

  6. #25
    Member +
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    upper left coast
    Posts
    63
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Strephon Alkhalikoi View Post
    Floydo, based upon tests I ran at the time 2012.20 was released (see [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]), there is a significant reduction (estimated at 90%) in the number of junctions with images in the small file, regardless of whether the images in a JCV file are photorealistic or not.

    While I don't agree with your testing method, I agree with the general sentiment in that Frustrated should use the large (750+MB) file since it has all the junctions and displays them in full-screen glory. A proper test should not focus on just one intersection, but should run a route, such as what I did for my tests.

    Now, I am only speculating on this, but I believe we should have six different JCV files:
    • Small JCV file for legacy units supporting full-screen Junction View (anything pre-2012)
    • Large JCV file for legacy units supporting full-screen Junction View (the 750+MB file for anything pre-2012)
    • nüvi 30 JCV file (non-photoreal full-screen views)
    • JCV file for nüvi 40/50 and legacy units supporting split-screen Junction View (photoreal split-screen views)
    • JCV file for Advanced units (photoreal split-screen views)
    • JCV file for Prestige units (photoreal Bird's Eye split-screen views)

    I'm sure we'll see more files than this since Garmin likes to screw things up.
    My test was not exhaustive, but I did run a route, albiet short. I was curious as to the images physical appearance, and the images appearance is different as described in my previous post for the different files. Frustrated posted he wanted a small file as his criteria and which works - my response was to his request, not run as a complete test....
    Appreciate your more extensive testing, and your extensive support to the forum.
    AND - It would be great if GARMIN were to explain the differences between the files.

  7. #26
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    USA (East)
    Posts
    95
    Rep Power
    57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frustated XT user View Post
    Strephon Alkhalikoi is spot on. I download the 45+ MB version and either it's not working or it is missing all the key junction views. I'll try the insanely large 750 MB file and I'll report if there any anomalies.
    I run that large one in my 755 & 765 and they work just fine. This is the file a garmin lifetime installs on a 765 (exact file with a different filename).

  8. #27
    Global Moderator

    smokefree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    @ home
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,304
    Rep Power
    717

    Default

    Floydo, in post #23 you seem to confuse the terminology Junction View and Lane Assist. Please note there is a distinct difference between them:

    Junction View: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]


    Lane Assist: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]


    Further, Lane Assist is an integral part of the CN img file, whereas Junction View comes in a separate JCV file (as discussed above).

  9. #28
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    How can I remove old maps? 2012.20 map still remain my nuvi 3790t.

  10. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Not saying
    Posts
    114
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tiger555 View Post
    I run that large one in my 755 & 765 and they work just fine. This is the file a garmin lifetime installs on a 765 (exact file with a different filename).
    I confirm that. The 45 MB+ file has no views and the insanely large file has them all. I notice my Nuvi running slower with the large file installed though.

  11. #30
    Master Superduper67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    84
    Rep Power
    38

    Default

    If you don't have enough space - I did install the big jcv file on a SD card, on folder named: SD:\\Garmin\JCV

 

 
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This website uses cookies
We use cookies to store session information to facilitate remembering your login information, to allow you to save website preferences, to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners.