My comment's above in red. I suggest... First try to figure out why the GPS does not work without the SD card. Do you get an error message? id: "Map is locked" OR "No routable maps found"?Hi, I'm new to Garmin here so i will ask many things and might be stupid things for some of you guys, i have a garmin nuvi 310 with "Garmap African Series 2008, southern african"
the task is i wanted to update it to 2012 map so i have updated information about the road and all recreation stuff, restaurant etc
Inside Garmin Device :
Folder POI : inside there is poi.gpi
gmapsupp.img (158 MB.. i think this is the map) <=== these are maps containig everything you want
gmapsupp.unl (this is unlocker if not mistaken) correct but not needed if you use an unlocked IMG
Folder Audible : inside empty
Folder JPEG : inside some jpg image
Folder Media : inside empty
Folder MP3 : inside empty
Folder Garmin : many folder and files there
- Folder Diax :
- Folder gpx :
- Folder Help :
- Folder Poi :
- Folder remote SW
- Folder Vehicle :
- Folder Voice :
gmapbmap.img <<<<< This is your basemap, leave it as is
GUPDATE.GCD <<<<<< This is yor last firmware update file (not necessary after the update is complete
It looks to me like your descriptions above are backwards. What you have listed on the "Card" belong in the GPS and what you have listed "Inside Garmin Device" looks correct for the card.
now this is what i've done
1. download Garmap Sub-Saharan Africa Streetmaps 2012.1 NT Version ( I dont know what is the different between Non NT and i dont know which version should I Download) <<<< NT is the newer file format Non-NT is the old. Your model supports either.
2. download the Image file "Unlocked NT IMG File" (I think this one same as above since above you need to use mapsource to convert it to IMG then using IMG Unlocker) <<<<< an IMG is a mapsourd output file, not an input file. As the name implies, an Unlocked IMG has already been made unlockable and and needs only to be copied to the GPS or SD using the correct filename and placed in the correct folder
3. I have patched latest Mapsource + Latest MapInstall not necessary with an unlocked img
4. I have IMG Unlocker
5. I've tried to compile the map using mapsource and it is success..but then when i copy it to the Garmin Device it is like error map From what you said above, I'm not sure how you even got this to work.
1. where should i put the image map? in the device? but what the SD card for? since if i took it out ..the garmin wont work
You appear to have 2 maps (gmapsupp.img in the GPS and gmapsupp.img on SD). The fact that your GPS doesn't work when you pull the SD means that the GPS is not working with the gmapsupp.img it has. This means it's either in the wrong folder or it is not being unlocked with the gmapsupp.unl file you have. The map(s) in the GPS can be named either gmapprom.img OR gmapsupp.img and MUST be in the the garmin folder or the GPS. Here is the usual setup...
gps:\garmin\gmapprom.img your default map (it is surprizing you don't have one)
gps:\garmin\gmapprom.unl your default map UNL file, Not necessary if gmapprom.img is an unlocked img.
gps:\garmin\gmapsupp.img an optional second map in the gps
gps:\garmin\gmapsupp.unl your secondary map UNL file, Not necessary if gmapsupp.img is an unlocked
An SD card is set up as follows
sd:\garmin\gmapsupp.img another optional map can go on SD
sd:\garmin\gmapsupp.unl your optional SD map UNL file, Not necessary if gmapsupp.img is an unlocked
Generally, the ONLY reasons for putting the IMG on SD
It won't fit in the GPS.
You simply want an optional map on SD
You can put it anywhere you like as long as you use the correct file and folder names.
2. what is the streetmap, topo map etc? do we need all? They are totally different. Streets are roads and Topo is primarily for hiking and contain eargh contour info.
3. I just want the road changes as per 2012 road + all info like fuel, restaurant, supermarket etc also changes as per 2012
Sound like you just want a single street map or city navigator map (same type of map). No Topo's requires.
thanks for reading a very long posting.. and thanks for helping me