Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 138
  1. #11
    Navigation software expert WknThDg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Right there on my GPS
    Posts
    135
    Rep Power
    157

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by timp4411 View Post
    Another qustion...

    Once I save all the Installation files that are D/L... where do I find the JCV, ASR files etc ?

    I don't see them right off the bat as I used to in version past install versions.

    Do they need to be unpacked from one of the cab folders or somewhere else ?

    Do I use 7-Zip to unzip/unpack them ?

    Thanks.
    You won't find them on your Computer at all, as they are downloaded directly to the Device now.
    The Device model effects what update files are (or are not) installed to the Device (depending on what files that specific device can use).
    During the Device update process, the updated Device files are not ever located anywhere on your Computer.
    They are downloaded directly to the device.
    If you select the "Install to Device and Computer" option, you will then be updating your Computer (MapSource) AND the Device.
    The complete "img" folder (that is downloaded to the temp folder) is the same for all Computer/MapSource downloads, regardless of the Device model or type.
    If you want to save the MapSource installation files, they are saved in the %temp%\img directory.
    The "trick" to saving them is to copy that "img" directory somewhere else to your Computer while your Device is getting updated.
    As, once the Device update is finished that temp "img" directory is automatically deleted.

  2.    Advertissements


  3. #12
    VIP Master

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    356
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WknThDg View Post
    You won't find them on your Computer at all, as they are downloaded directly to the Device now.
    The Device model effects what update files are (or are not) installed to the Device (depending on what files that specific device can use).
    During the Device update process, the updated Device files are not ever located anywhere on your Computer.
    They are downloaded directly to the device.
    If you select the "Install to Device and Computer" option, you will then be updating your Computer (MapSource) AND the Device.
    The complete "img" folder (that is downloaded to the temp folder) is the same for all Computer/MapSource downloads, regardless of the Device model or type.
    If you want to save the MapSource installation files, they are saved in the %temp%\img directory.
    The "trick" to saving them is to copy that "img" directory somewhere else to your Computer while your Device is getting updated.
    As, once the Device update is finished that temp "img" directory is automatically deleted.
    WknThDog,

    Thanks for that explanation. I was able to capture the IMG files while doind the update and was going crazy trying to find those other files. Now I know why I couldn't find 'em.

    So we have to depend on members here to pick the pertinant files off of their devices which have been legitimately obtained via an update from Garmin.

    One of the ooptions given by Garmin when you do an update is to save the files to the computer if you another device to "update", but if the files left behind are generic for ALL devices, you still have to go online and plug into the Garmin server in order to get the needed files for that particular device.

    That really sucks.....

    I wonder if there is any way to capture the info while it is streaming to the device.

    Something like that is beyond my knowledge and skills for sure, but maybe someone else can figure something out.

    I wonder if it's possible to edit the XML file on the device before hooking up to the Garmin Update server and change the "Part Number" to a number of a unit that would require the files you need (or want), such as putting in the Part number of a 885t into the XML files of a 775t. I wonder if it would then push those files to the 775t thinking it is a 885t.
    Last edited by timp4411; 13th November 2010 at 21:15.

  4. #13
    Important User

    Ballebar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Off the Grid ...
    Posts
    983
    Rep Power
    968

    Arrow

    Quote Originally Posted by WknThDg View Post
    You won't find them on your Computer at all, as they are downloaded directly to the Device now.
    ...
    If you select the "Install to Device and Computer" option, you will then be updating your Computer (MapSource) AND the Device.
    The complete "img" folder (that is downloaded to the temp folder) is the same for all Computer/MapSource downloads, regardless of the Device model or type.
    If you want to save the MapSource installation files, they are saved in the %temp%\img directory.
    ...
    As, once the Device update is finished that temp "img" directory is automatically deleted.
    As explained in my [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] you have the option to save ALL files. Files are downloaded one by one as it process the manifest file. There's also a separate file check procedure that controls if downloaded files have the correct MD5 hash code.
    Example of RMU download manifest file for CNNANT 2011.30:
    Code:
    Please Login or Register to see the links

    MapSource installation and GMAP files are stored at "%TEMP%\IMG"
    ASR, JCV, gmap3d.img etc. are stored directly to "%TEMP%".
    ALL files remains after the download are finished if you ticked the option to keep the files.

    Editing the "GarminDevice.xml" file with another PartNumber (with matching last SoftwareVersion number, MapUpdater probably wants the unit to be updated before downloading maps) makes the downloader to download all suitable files for that device type. If you have a nüvi 200 you can impersonate a nüvi 3790 and download the nüvi 3790 files instead.
    I'm not using a Garmin GPS at all for the download, just a USB stick with "[X:\]Garmin\GarminDevice.xml" and the appropriate directory structure for the GPS model. Just needing the product key (or prodkey*.bin file) for the combination of Garmin unitID & map product.

    All that happened during the map update with Garmin Map Update is saved to a log. Take a look at "%APPDATA%\GARMIN\Map Update\SetupLog.txt". You will find URLs and data for downloaded mapset and additional files in the log.
    Don't post thanking posts. Use the "Like"button instead.





    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

    NOTICE! Due to other activities I'm now having a very low attention to questions and requests here at GPSPower.

  5. #14
    Navigation software expert turboccc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    377
    Rep Power
    123

    Default

    Hi Ballebar,

    I like you post. I spent part of last night trying to to just that. I have a 3750. I changed the GarminDevice.xml to impersonate a 3790. I was able to register it in My Garmin and download the free maps, but for some reasons, I cannot get the 3D Building maps. The myGarmin Agent does not recognize the device enough to add all the missing files either.

    Today, I tried also to change the prodkey.bin files in the .System folder without success. The myGarmin Agent does not see the device as valid for update and suggest the WebUpdated instead (which does not work either). I am probably very close. I just read your post and now I am convinced it should work. I am missing something.

    What I have done so far:

    - Changed Garmindevice.xml to add a valid ID for the unit (an unregistered one as well!).
    - I updated the maps (I have seen all that went thought the %temp% folder EXCEPT no gmapd3d.img which was the point of the exercise). I did this twice without success and it took part of the night!

    I like the idea of using a USB key. I would appreciate a lot if you could provide more information about what is really needed in the folder tree.

    I am trying to convert the 3750 into a 3790. I know it will miss the voice command (except if I can solder a microphone there) and the bluetooth, but 3B building should work.

    Thanks in advance,

    Turbo

    Edit: now that I think of it, I may have seen the gmap3d, but thought it was one I d/l from the web... I did too many things at the same time.

    Edit2: After more research, it seems myAgent refuses to update because some information from the 3790T is not included in my GarminDevice.xml. Maybe a missing file specifications or another similar definition. If anybody is willing to send me a GarminDevice.xml to turboccc at hotmail dot com, I could share my results with all of you. Be sure to remove your ID from the file. Put zeros instead. Many thanks.
    Last edited by turboccc; 14th November 2010 at 20:57. Reason: Need GarminDevice.xml for nuvi 3790T
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

  6. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    It would be great if you guys can also post instructions for non techies

  7. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Hi i Have a question, i need to download the torrent file because i have downloaded and need to download the 5 parts stored on multiserver too? or are the same files?? thank you..

  8. #17
    Navigation software expert turboccc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    377
    Rep Power
    123

    Default

    About the GArminDevice.xml... Got it. I had a little error in my GarminDevice.xml:

    I thought I had to use 006-B1063-01, but my hwid is 1101 so I should keep to 006-B1101-00. Also, the description is "3790" and not "3790T". It was right the first time, but had so many issues that I changed it to 3790T. The rest can stay as before I think, but adding some missing 3D map will probably help.

    In the end, I just kept the .xml file and deleted everything else. Nothing was happening, si I changed all Major version to 0. He! He! myDashboard resent the GCD. Then, change back the GCD version to 2.50 and re-update again. All voice files, keyboard files and so on re-appeared. Now, I am back with the map update (which will take forever again).

    Note: I am also doing all of this on my flash card and not the nuvi. I'll post a newbie guide if this ends well.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

  9. #18
    ☼ADMIN☼
    catymag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    light side
    Posts
    23,642
    Rep Power
    5327

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by supahsain View Post
    It would be great if you guys can also post instructions for non techies
    all the instructions are here
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

    Quote Originally Posted by donspidy
    Hi i Have a question, i need to download the torrent file because i have downloaded and need to download the 5 parts stored on multiserver too? or are the same files?? thank you..
    torrent file contains the Mapsource installer
    Multiupload links contain the gmap folder (follow instructions posted to have it in Mapsource)
    The result in Mapsource will be the same

    @turboccc --> thanks
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    You have to navigate to get to the good.
    Nuvi1250/Nuvi 34xx/Nuvi 2200/Nuvi 66/Oregon 600/Galaxy S5 MM 6.0.1/TomTom GO/iGO Nextgen Avic,Basar,Isr.Gift/Navigon
    Please don't flood my pm box with questions you can post on forum!! You won't hear back from me.

  10. #19
    ☼ADMIN☼
    catymag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    light side
    Posts
    23,642
    Rep Power
    5327

    Default

    other img mirrors
    -----------------------------
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    CNNT_North_America_2011.30_gmapsupp.part1
    300.0 MB
    -------------------------------

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    CNNT_North_America_2011.30_gmapsupp.part2.rar
    300 mb

    -------------------------
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    CNNT_North_America_2011.30_gmapsupp.part3
    300.0 MB
    -----------------------------
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    CNNT_North_America_2011.30_gmapsupp.part4
    141.29 MB
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    You have to navigate to get to the good.
    Nuvi1250/Nuvi 34xx/Nuvi 2200/Nuvi 66/Oregon 600/Galaxy S5 MM 6.0.1/TomTom GO/iGO Nextgen Avic,Basar,Isr.Gift/Navigon
    Please don't flood my pm box with questions you can post on forum!! You won't hear back from me.

  11. #20
    Important User

    Ballebar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Off the Grid ...
    Posts
    983
    Rep Power
    968

    Arrow GarminDevice.xml for nüvi 3790T ATL

    Quote Originally Posted by turboccc View Post
    Hi Ballebar,

    I like you post. I spent part of last night trying to to just that. I have a 3750. I changed the GarminDevice.xml to impersonate a 3790. I was able to register it in My Garmin and download the free maps, but for some reasons, I cannot get the 3D Building maps. The myGarmin Agent does not recognize the device enough to add all the missing files either.

    Today, I tried also to change the prodkey.bin files in the .System folder without success. The myGarmin Agent does not see the device as valid for update and suggest the WebUpdated instead (which does not work either). I am probably very close. I just read your post and now I am convinced it should work. I am missing something.

    What I have done so far:

    - Changed Garmindevice.xml to add a valid ID for the unit (an unregistered one as well!).
    - I updated the maps (I have seen all that went thought the %temp% folder EXCEPT no gmapd3d.img which was the point of the exercise). I did this twice without success and it took part of the night!

    I like the idea of using a USB key. I would appreciate a lot if you could provide more information about what is really needed in the folder tree.

    I am trying to convert the 3750 into a 3790. I know it will miss the voice command (except if I can solder a microphone there) and the bluetooth, but 3B building should work.

    Thanks in advance,

    Turbo

    Edit: now that I think of it, I may have seen the gmap3d, but thought it was one I d/l from the web... I did too many things at the same time.

    Edit2: After more research, it seems myAgent refuses to update because some information from the 3790T is not included in my GarminDevice.xml. Maybe a missing file specifications or another similar definition. If anybody is willing to send me a GarminDevice.xml to turboccc at hotmail dot com, I could share my results with all of you. Be sure to remove your ID from the file. Put zeros instead. Many thanks.


    @turbocc and others

    This is some further data for those who have read my [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] & [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

    You will find a attached "GarminDevice.xml" file for a nüvi 3790T Atlantic version at the end of this post. Unit ID set to 1234567890 and all 25 character codes are based on 1234567890.
    Put the "GarminDevice.xml" file in the "[X:]\Garmin" directory as "[X:]\Garmin\GarminDevice.xml".


    If one needs the file structure for a nüvi 3790 it's possible to create a "md_3790.bat" file with the content in the code section. Run from root in USB mass storage device.
    Code:
    Please Login or Register to see the links
    Some explanation for those who tries to use Garmin Map Update to download complete set of additional files with 3D, JCV, G2S, DB etc.
    The requirement is that you have a valid map update at myGarmin to download with a valid product code. The only thing is that a user with nüvi 2xx, 5xx and likewise may fetch the extra files for Junction View, trafficTrends, nüRoute, 3D buildings to share with the ones who can use those files.
    No succes at all expected for those who tries without a genuine valid lifetime or onetime map update and a active product code for their specific unit ID.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Don't post thanking posts. Use the "Like"button instead.





    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

    NOTICE! Due to other activities I'm now having a very low attention to questions and requests here at GPSPower.

 

 
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This website uses cookies
We use cookies to store session information to facilitate remembering your login information, to allow you to save website preferences, to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners.