Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 27
  1. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    36
    Posts
    14
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Thanks Neil. I was going to keep it simple and load #4 until I saw your screenshots! The right side JCV is really slick... So when you say I "can use any of the 3 available 480x270pixel picture size files", which ones are you referring to? Sorry for the stupid/obvious question...

    Are you talking about these? Which one would match the right side screen shot you posted?

    1 - LaneAssistFull
    2 - LaneAssistMedium
    3 - Full-Screen

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Yes, correct. I assume you mean a 3D Buildings and Landmarks map which also can go in the microSD's 'Garmin' folder as gmap3d.img. If you mean a 3D terrain [DEM] map, naming is gmapdem.img for sd's Garmin folder or in .System on unit.
    That didn't work, by the way. I dropped the 3D map in the Garmin folder, and it didn't show up in MyMaps. When I moved it into the Map folder though, where all the maps are, it did.
    Last edited by Lotus99; 14th October 2016 at 08:03.

  2.    Advertissements


  3. #12
    Garmin/GPS Systems GMod.

    Neil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Oz.
    Posts
    7,407
    Rep Power
    1435

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
    Thanks Neil. I'll keep it simple and load #4 then.

    EDIT - Your screenshots didn't show up the first time I viewed your reply. The right side JCV is really slick... So when you say I "can use any of the 3 available 480x270pixel picture size files", which ones are you referring to? Sorry for the stupid/obvious question...

    Are you talking about these? None of the others would seem to be it...

    1 - LaneAssistFull
    2 - LaneAssistMedium
    3 - Full-Screen
    Yes, i'm talking about them. They're the only ones with 480*270pixel picture size in the NA map thread, aren't they?

    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Yes, correct. I assume you mean a 3D Buildings and Landmarks map which also can go in the microSD's 'Garmin' folder as gmap3d.img. If you mean a 3D terrain [DEM] map, naming is gmapdem.img for sd's Garmin folder or in .System on unit.
    That didn't work, by the way. I dropped the 3D map in the Garmin folder, and it didn't show up in MyMaps. When I moved it into the Map folder though, where all the maps are, it did.
    In the Garmin folder of SD the naming is crucial, use gmap3d.img as i said. Seeing you have both NA & EU you can also use gmap3d1.img for the other 3D map. They are the only 2 names in Garmin folder for 3D Buildings and Landmarks maps in SD's Garmin folder or unit's .System folder. However, in the Map folder of unit or SD '<any_name>.img' can be used and you may have multiple images, within limits.

    EDIT:
    Wait, so for the Safety Cameras, I can just copy the GPI file right into the POI folder, but for the Speed Cameras, I must use a POI Loader to get them onto the device? Just want to double check I'm not supposed to use the POI loader for the Safety Cameras too...
    Yes, don't attempt to use POI Loader for Garmin Safety Cameras. They are already fully compiled GPI files and anyway they're encrypted so you can't even split them back to the basic components to use in POI Loader.

    And what about the Safety Cameras for my Euro maps, which are residing on the SD card? I can't seem to find any posts indicating a path on the SD card to just copy over the GPI files. Most seem to say I should load them using a POI loader onto the main device, even though it's got the NA map on it. Is that how I should do it?
    See above answer. Only use POI Loader only to load GPX/CSV files such as SCDB 'raw' files. Put compiled or ready-compiled GPI files directly into a POI folder on SD or Unit memory.
    Last edited by Neil; 14th October 2016 at 08:14. Reason: Just noticed edit in previous post.
    'Thanking Posts' are banned. To thank someone, and/or to see hidden links and content, use the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] button below left of the helpful post then refresh your browser [F5 key]. 'Thanking Posts' are banned.
    Please don't spam. Posts serving no purpose other than to thank or to ask about hidden links are trashed or deleted, it's GPSPower's policy. Please don't spam.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] should make their first post as a new Intro Thread in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

  4. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    36
    Posts
    14
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Yes, i'm talking about them. They're the only ones with 480*270pixel picture size in the NA map thread, aren't they?

    In the Garmin folder of SD the naming is crucial, use gmap3d.img as i said. Seeing you have both NA & EU you can also use gmap3d1.img for the other 3D map. They are the only 2 names in Garmin folder for 3D Buildings and Landmarks maps in SD's Garmin folder or unit's .System folder. However, in the Map folder of unit or SD '<any_name>.img' can be used and you may have multiple images, within limits.
    Nice. Can't wait to use a full size JCV and see how it works.

    I have the NA map on the device, and the EU maps on the SD card. I double checked, and the EU 3D file name was definitely gmap3d.img, and I had put it in the Garmin folder on the SD card, but it wasn't showing up. I had the 3 corresponding EU maps in the SD card's Map folder, and they were showing up fine. Then as soon as I moved the file into the Map folder, it appeared. Odd...


    POI's

    As far as the POI's, which Caty was helping me with, if I understood her correctly, the Safety Camera GPI file I could just drag and drop into the POI folder of my device, because Safety Cameras show up in the XML file on my device. But because the Speed Cameras don't show up in the XML file, she was telling me to use a POI Loader to load their GPI files. Is that correct? So I don't have to use a POI Loader for the Safety Cameras also?

    And as far as adding Safety Camera POI's for the EU maps, I can't find any info on the POI folder path you can use on the SD card. All I find are posts by people saying I'm just better off to load them onto the device, even though in my case only the NA map is on the device. Is that the way to do it? Or is there a path for a POI folder I can just drop them into on the SD card?

    Lastly, I tried to use the Garmin POI Loader program to load the Speed Cameras (and even the Safety ones), but it keeps giving me an error message saying it needs to be either a CSV file or a GPX file. What am I missing?
    Last edited by Lotus99; 14th October 2016 at 08:15.

  5. #14
    Garmin/GPS Systems GMod.

    Neil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Oz.
    Posts
    7,407
    Rep Power
    1435

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
    Nice. Can't wait to use a full size JCV and see how it works.

    I have the NA map on the device, and the EU maps on the SD card. I double checked, and the EU 3D file name was definitely gmap3d.img, and I had put it in the Garmin folder on the SD card, but it wasn't showing up. I had the 3 corresponding EU maps in the SD card's Map folder, and they were showing up fine. Then as soon as I moved the file into the Map folder, it appeared. Odd...


    POI's

    As far as the POI's, which Caty was helping me with, if I understood her correctly, the Safety Camera GPI file I could just drag and drop into the POI folder of my device, because Safety Cameras show up in the XML file on my device. But because the Speed Cameras don't show up in the XML file, she was telling me to use a POI Loader to load their GPI files. Is that correct? So I don't have to use a POI Loader for the Safety Cameras also?

    And as far as adding Safety Camera POI's for the EU maps, I can't find any info on the POI folder path you can use on the SD card. All I find are posts by people saying I'm just better off to load them onto the device, even though in my case only the NA map is on the device. Is that the way to do it? Or is there a path for a POI folder I can just drop them into on the SD card?
    It doesn't matter where you put the GPI files, on the unit or on the SD. The path is not crucial, even the folder name 'POI' isn't either. You can put the POI folder in the SD's root or in the Garmin folder, even name it 'XXX' and the unit will still find the GPI files.

    ........... What am I missing?
    My EDIT in my last post after i saw your edit in your previous post. .....[puff .... pant.. puff ..]
    'Thanking Posts' are banned. To thank someone, and/or to see hidden links and content, use the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] button below left of the helpful post then refresh your browser [F5 key]. 'Thanking Posts' are banned.
    Please don't spam. Posts serving no purpose other than to thank or to ask about hidden links are trashed or deleted, it's GPSPower's policy. Please don't spam.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] should make their first post as a new Intro Thread in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

  6. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    36
    Posts
    14
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    It doesn't matter where you put the GPI files, on the unit or on the SD. The path is not crucial, even the folder name 'POI' isn't either. You can put the POI folder in the SD's root or in the Garmin folder, even name it 'XXX' and the unit will still find the GPI files.

    My EDIT in my last post after i saw your edit in your previous post. .....[puff .... pant.. puff ..]
    Awesome. yeah, sorry about the ninja edits... I saw you'd originally replied to the first half of my post and figured maybe you'd missed the other questions, so to follow your earlier advice, I took it out and put it into my reply, but you beat me to it it looks like... LOL.

    I was getting worried as I found a thread talking about unlocked Cyclops files not being usable anymore as of a few months ago. My s/w version is 5.00, but the GPS firmware is 2.60, which I'm guessing is a few years old, as I don't recall updating it.

    So if I already have the GPI files, I'll just drop them into the POI folder. And the POI folder on the device, can hold both the NA and the EU Safety and Speed Cameras? I don't need to have the EU camera GPI files on the SD card, to be consistent with the EU maps being on the SD card?

  7. #16
    Garmin/GPS Systems GMod.

    Neil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Oz.
    Posts
    7,407
    Rep Power
    1435

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
    .........
    I was getting worried as I found a thread talking about unlocked Cyclops files not being usable anymore as of a few months ago. My s/w version is 5.00, but the GPS firmware is 2.60, which I'm guessing is a few years old, as I don't recall updating it.
    That thread is only for newer devices named in it, presently anyway. Garmin may implement that in future software for older devices perhaps.

    So if I already have the GPI files, I'll just drop them into the POI folder.
    Yes.

    And the POI folder on the device, can hold both the NA and the EU Safety and Speed Cameras?
    Yes. And GPIs for another 100 countries too if you want. And mix Cyclops and SCBD and Custom GPIs for the same countries if you want but you'll likely get multiple alerts for the same type of files [Redlight, Speedcams] at each duplicated or triplicated location because of differing co-ords so it's not a good idea to have too many unless you want to be driven crazy ......

    I don't need to have the EU camera GPI files on the SD card, to be consistent with the EU maps being on the SD card?
    No, as i said it doesn't matter where they are and they certainly don't have to be in the same location as the maps. Maps on card, POI on unit or vicky verka. Scatter the individual files around in the root of the unit or card, they'll still be found.

    I guess you have to be done now.
    'Thanking Posts' are banned. To thank someone, and/or to see hidden links and content, use the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] button below left of the helpful post then refresh your browser [F5 key]. 'Thanking Posts' are banned.
    Please don't spam. Posts serving no purpose other than to thank or to ask about hidden links are trashed or deleted, it's GPSPower's policy. Please don't spam.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] should make their first post as a new Intro Thread in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

  8. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    36
    Posts
    14
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Yes. And GPIs for another 100 countries too if you want. And mix Cyclops and SCBD and Custom GPIs for the same countries if you want but you'll likely get multiple alerts for the same type of files [Redlight, Speedcams] at each duplicated or triplicated location because of differing co-ords so it's not a good idea to have too many unless you want to be driven crazy ......

    I guess you have to be done now.
    Fantastic. Not having to much around with the POI loader saves me one more thing. Thx for the tip on duplicated things, I'll watch for that.

    I'm having too much fun now... Can you tell?

    Ok, maybe one more. Based on the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] caty posted, it was indicating you have to use the same file format for JCV's as you find in your device's XML file, which in my case is the "LaneAssistPortraitFull", but as you've indicated, I can use the other full screen ones too. That seems contradictory, no?

    Or is it that in the case of JCV files only, it sounds like we're not restricted to only using the native one originally loaded with the device?

    Are there any downsides in my case of using a full screen JCV for example, compared to the native one?

  9. #18
    Garmin/GPS Systems GMod.

    Neil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Oz.
    Posts
    7,407
    Rep Power
    1435

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
    ............ use the same file format for JCV's as you find in your device's XML file, which in my case is the "LaneAssistPortraitFull", but as you've indicated, I can use the other full screen ones too. That seems contradictory, no?
    No. I mean yes. No, i do mean no. Or mean both depending on how i'm answering the question. Yes it does seem contradictory. No it isn't because many units aren't restricted to the one 'type' and can actually use both full and split, just not at the same time of course. Some units will get mediocre display, even weird results from using 'non-native' files but not the 37xx series. They were originally supplied with the full-screen 480x270 JCV in early versions of NT maps. When Garmin introduced NTU maps for EU 37xx was then supplied with them as OEM, about the same time Garmin switched the JCV for 37xx to split-screen for all major markets but the ability to use full-screen remained. In the case of EU NTU maps, there is NO full-screen JCV issued at all, all files are split-screen and the full-screen is only available for the NT version, but for NA etc they also switched to supplying split jcv for 3700 but full was still available for earlier 7x5/1xxx etc.. So your 3790 can use either NT or NTU maps and teamed with either split or full-screen JCV as available.

    The link below is to the original 3790 Garmin page.
    Code:
    Please Login or Register to see the links
    Click on 'more images' below the main image on the above page and you'll see this in the Gallery:
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    And that's because they never bothered to change it, even though they'd switched to supply of split jcv universally for 37xx.

    Or is it that in the case of JCV files only, it sounds like we're not restricted to only using the native one originally loaded with the device?
    At least there's no restriction for 37xx but that's not across the board.

    Are there any downsides in my case of using a full screen JCV for example, compared to the native one?
    Again, not for 37xx but other units vary. For 37xx NA/AUNZ users as examples, it's simply a matter of preference. However, using a split jcv in a unit designed to use ONLY full-screen results in the juctionview image being stretched across the screen to fit and because the resolution of a 212x234pixel image being expanded to fit a 480x270pixel frame results in much lower resolution relatively [do the maths: 212x234=49,608. 480x270=129,600. That's a loss of ~60% resolution so the result is 'washed-out' looking as well as stretched out of proportion:

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

    Doing the reverse in a unit meant to use splits can get a pic like in this zumo using a full-screen:

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

    That's gotta be you done now. You've sucked my brain dry. I'm off for a Bex [google it], a wee, a nice cup of tea and a lie-down. Go over to [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] and convert your 3790 to a 3490, that'll keep you busy for a while ....
    'Thanking Posts' are banned. To thank someone, and/or to see hidden links and content, use the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] button below left of the helpful post then refresh your browser [F5 key]. 'Thanking Posts' are banned.
    Please don't spam. Posts serving no purpose other than to thank or to ask about hidden links are trashed or deleted, it's GPSPower's policy. Please don't spam.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] should make their first post as a new Intro Thread in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

  10. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    36
    Posts
    14
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Ha ha! OK. Wow, you're an Encyclopedia of info!

    To decide on which JV I want to pick, I figured I'd google example images of each of the 4 to compare them side by side, but there's a mish mash of pics that aren't reliable, so I'll try all 4 JV types and see which I like best I guess. You'd think there's be lots of posts on various forums showing them all against each other...

    What's the most popular for those people who are fortunate like me and their devices can in fact support and properly display split and the various full ones?

    Oh, for my EU maps, I see I have a CN Europe NT ALL, as well as Nordics, and a Spain & Portugal one. I'm guessing ALL in fact has all the same data as the individual ones, and there's no need to keep the others on my SD card?

    Thanks, and have a lovely weekend!

    PS You should take a Becks, not a Bex!

  11. #20
    GPSPower Helper

    dasilvarsa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    1,160
    Rep Power
    351

    Default

    Delete Repeated Maps, It will cause you problems if selected simultaneously.
    If you have Europe ALL no Need for Individual Maps.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
    Albert Einstein.

 

 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This website uses cookies
We use cookies to store session information to facilitate remembering your login information, to allow you to save website preferences, to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners.