I have a nuvi 1490LMT and I am a novice GPS user. I have inserted an SD card, and after updating my built-in (north america) map, it moved the 1.5G file to the SD card. So now I don't have room for many more maps on that card. I have a few questions:
1) Can I copy the maps from that card to my hard drive, then copy to a new higher capacity SD card?
2) I have found several maps of other places I am interested in (middle east, europe, etc). Assuming the maps do not overlap, can I simply copy img files all to one large SD card?
3) How do I get my nuvi to display a map for a country where I am not located at the moment?
4) Is there a way for me to ensure that if I have 6 maps (for instance) on my SD card (and can see them in explorer on my computer) that the nuvi will route me when I am abroad?
5) Typically if one downloads maps from the internet that are unlocked, will the Garmin webupdater update those maps? (presumably not but just confirming)
Is there some sort of FAQ that I missed? If so apologies.
If the map you install is the original from your GPS then you can copy it to a new higher capacity SD card to run on. The Garmin unlock code is stored in the main memory with a file extension of *.unl. Connect your unit to your PC and Goto .system folder to see these files. It is wise to install Garmin maps into a SD card as any map corruption or error can result in an 'Unbootable' Nuvi.
To select the map to use in your Nuvi Goto Tools > System > Map >Info Check or Uncheck the maps you need. If you have more then one map for the region select only ONE at a time. Multiple map selections are know to give problem.
Yes use "HDclone free edition" to copy the SD Card its a free Clone Program that runs under Windows
just copy Garmin folder from sd crd to another...