Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 59
  1. #31
    Garmin/GPS Systems GMod.

    Neil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Oz.
    Posts
    7,387
    Rep Power
    1434

    Default

    There are 3 different types of TTS voice files. Loading an incorrect file could 'brick' your head unit so be sure that you use the right ones. I dunno how easy [read hard] it is to unbrick one of those things, the nav firmware is indeed Garmin but the OS? If you have a way of copying any of the current TTS *.vpm files off the unit we can check which type it uses.

    About the JCV files, i always load the split screen file onto any nuvi 1xxx that finds its way to me for updating. Reason being the extra views mainly, and really nobody stares at the dang things when they pop up anyway, just a quick peep to see what's about to come up for the next exit and eyes back to the road [or it should be so ] therefore the lousy resolution isn't an issue in the car. I'd rather have the extra views on balance.
    'Thanking Posts' are banned. To thank someone, and/or to see hidden links and content, use the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] button below left of the helpful post then refresh your browser [F5 key]. 'Thanking Posts' are banned.
    Please don't spam. Posts serving no purpose other than to thank or to ask about hidden links are trashed or deleted, it's GPSPower's policy. Please don't spam.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] should make their first post as a new Intro Thread in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

  2.    Advertissements


  3. #32
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    13
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I did the commute to work today, I did not see any of these split screen/junction views --> Do they only come up on the highways?

    I had a TomTom in my previous vehicle (nice little unit) and it did the junction views, but I think it was only on highways but I can't remember exactly.

    Im just happy I have the updated map :-D

  4. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    13
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saltybob View Post
    I did the commute to work today, I did not see any of these split screen/junction views --> Do they only come up on the highways?

    I had a TomTom in my previous vehicle (nice little unit) and it did the junction views, but I think it was only on highways but I can't remember exactly.

    Im just happy I have the updated map :-D
    Yeah I only get them on highways as well. You can simply start a trip someplace far away then check out the steps on the radio and click on the highway ones to view the screens. It won't show as split junction view on our units it will show as full screen but the image is a bit stretched and low resolution but it's really not that big of a deal.

  5. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    13
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    There are 3 different types of TTS voice files. Loading an incorrect file could 'brick' your head unit so be sure that you use the right ones. I dunno how easy [read hard] it is to unbrick one of those things, the nav firmware is indeed Garmin but the OS? If you have a way of copying any of the current TTS *.vpm files off the unit we can check which type it uses.

    About the JCV files, i always load the split screen file onto any nuvi 1xxx that finds its way to me for updating. Reason being the extra views mainly, and really nobody stares at the dang things when they pop up anyway, just a quick peep to see what about to come up for the next exit and eyes back to the road [or it should be so ] therefore the lousy resolution isn't an issue in the car. I'd rather have the extra views on balance.
    I'll see if I can find someone who has modified their voices and go from there.

    **UPDATE**

    So according to my friends at 300cforums adding voices to the radio is easy the issue is updating the XML file so that the version of the voice file matches the version of the maps..... without this apparently the added voices will not work.
    Last edited by konchuz; 9th January 2015 at 19:39.

  6. #35
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    13
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I drove on one of the highways yesterday and I seen the junction pictures. I understand what you mean by stretched and 'fuzzy', not that big of a deal but cool!

  7. #36
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    13
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saltybob View Post
    I drove on one of the highways yesterday and I seen the junction pictures. I understand what you mean by stretched and 'fuzzy', not that big of a deal but cool!
    Yeah it really isn't a big deal but it can be corrected by downloading the full screen jcv file and going through the upgrade again but the only drawback that I can see is you won't have as many junction views as you will with the split screen jcv file.

  8. #37
    Garmin/GPS Systems GMod.

    Neil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Oz.
    Posts
    7,387
    Rep Power
    1434

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by konchuz View Post
    I'll see if I can find someone who has modified their voices and go from there.

    **UPDATE**

    So according to my friends at 300cforums adding voices to the radio is easy the issue is updating the XML file so that the version of the voice file matches the version of the maps..... without this apparently the added voices will not work.
    Really? If you're referring to GarminDevice.xml, the unit software/firmware must be quite different to the standard Garmin fw for portable devices then. In them that file is only written to by the unit, it's created/updated on each boot and is only read by Garmin's external 'helper' software e.g. MapUpdater, GarminExpress and WebUpdater but isn't read at all by the unit's software. So in portable devices editing it manually does nothing to enable voices, that's done in software i.e. if a certain TTS Voice such as Indodesian_Damayanti isn't present in US/EU software then it cannot be added by simply writing it into the xml file, it's only possible by modifying the software to accept that particular voice and also adding the relevant TTS .vpm file to the unit's Voice folder. Or perhaps these units have a separate 'enabling' xml file do they?

    I'd be interested in investigating these unusual units a little further. Can you direct me to a copy of the firmware and also a coded link to that 300c forum info on enabling voices via the xml file?
    'Thanking Posts' are banned. To thank someone, and/or to see hidden links and content, use the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] button below left of the helpful post then refresh your browser [F5 key]. 'Thanking Posts' are banned.
    Please don't spam. Posts serving no purpose other than to thank or to ask about hidden links are trashed or deleted, it's GPSPower's policy. Please don't spam.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] should make their first post as a new Intro Thread in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

  9. #38
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    13
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Really? If you're referring to GarminDevice.xml, the unit software/firmware must be quite different to the standard Garmin fw for portable devices then. In them that file is only written to by the unit, it's created/updated on each boot and is only read by Garmin's external 'helper' software e.g. MapUpdater, GarminExpress and WebUpdater but isn't read at all by the unit's software. So in portable devices editing it manually does nothing to enable voices, that's done in software i.e. if a certain TTS Voice such as Indodesian_Damayanti isn't present in US/EU software then it cannot be added by simply writing it into the xml file, it's only possible by modifying the software to accept that particular voice and also adding the relevant TTS .vpm file to the unit's Voice folder. Or perhaps these units have a separate 'enabling' xml file do they?

    I'd be interested in investigating these unusual units a little further. Can you direct me to a copy of the firmware and also a coded link to that 300c forum info on enabling voices via the xml file?
    I started a post on the forums about it and that's when one of the members chimed in with that comment. So obviously i wasn't the only person that thought about adding voices. I'm going to have to do some digging to find the thread unless they can direct me to the thread themselves. I personally don't have a clue about modifying files like that. I'll see what I can find.

  10. #39
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Thanks to Neil and the rest of you... I've been searching for a collected bunch of information describing this process, as I haven't had any luck at all.. Now I just need to gather up all the pieces and software and give it a go. Thanks again!

  11. #40
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    After having a big break, I thought I would have another go at trying to get all the voice commands working for the Uconnect on the Australian cars. I was able to get some working but not the "Find Address".
    So I started searching for a way to edit the XML file and came across this thread.

    I wrote a thread on the 300 forum called How to update your maps on the Uconnect in the Aussie section which explains how to add the voice files.
    I have also worked out how to add different vehicles into the Uconnect and it works well.
    But I noticed you were talking about adding voice files which did take me a while to work out how to get them in there but my challenge now is how to make the system use them.
    Now its been over a year since I was last playing with all this stuff so I need to go back and remember everything I was doing but I thought I would make this post first to see if maybe we can all put our heads together and help each other out.

    Getting back to the voice issue, I was trying to add the Aussie Karen voice and it would not accept it into the Uconnect file system. What I discovered is that it would not take files bigger than 13MB and the Karen voice was 18 or 19 MB. The earlier Garmin voice files were different and only a few Megabytes. So after a lot of searching I found the original voice files and was able to add them to the voice folder in the Uconnect. Of memory they used a different compression and I believe that any voice file with that same compression the Uconnect will accept but I will have to go back and research it again cause I am forgetting it all.

    So my thought pattern was maybe editing the XML file with the new voice (which I have already done) and trying to figure out a way to force the Uconnect to use the new XML file. The only way at this stage I can think of to do this is a firmware update or restore and -
    My other thought is to try and locate and use the gupdate.GCD. Hopefully modify it to do what I need but dont know enough about this yet as Ive just started learning about that method.

 

 
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This website uses cookies
We use cookies to store session information to facilitate remembering your login information, to allow you to save website preferences, to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners.