Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Member +

Default What am I doing wrong.

Hi, I have a Astro 320 with a DC 50 collar. I have tried to load a full UK map that I bought with a Garmin GPS but the astro still does not display the mapping but if I load the astro onto the MAC it displays but not on the handset.

Can anyone give me any advice please? I currently have to use two GPS to check for roads etc whilst tracking injured deer. The Astro works fine apart from displaying the maps!

Thanks in advance!

2.    Advertissements

Important User What am I doing wrong.
    What am I doing wrong.What am I doing wrong.What am I doing wrong.What am I doing wrong.What am I doing wrong.What am I doing wrong.What am I doing wrong.

Simply the map is locked
    Unlock with:
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Drag&drop the *.img into it.
    l9ebnsm
    You have to navigate to get to the good.

Galaxy S5 Kitkat 4.4.2 / Nuvi1200->1250 / Nuvi3790T->34xx / Nuvi 2200 / Nuvi 66 / Oregon 600

Member +

well, I tried the above link and downloaded /Users/apple/Downloads/gimgunlock-0/gimgunlock. I connected the astro and opened the img file, copied it then dragged the file onto the gimgunlock ex file. Not sure what was supposed to happen?

Can anyone please provide simple easy to follow instructions for an idiot using a MAC?

Thank you in advance!
    Last edited by Deerman; 19th December 2014 at 10:52 PM.

Garmin/GPS Systems GMod. What am I doing wrong.
    What am I doing wrong.What am I doing wrong.What am I doing wrong.What am I doing wrong.What am I doing wrong.What am I doing wrong.What am I doing wrong.

The image is unlocked by gimgunlock in mere seconds, not sure what shows using a Mac but with Windows a DOS box opens briefly then is closed automatically. So, you copied the image and dragged it onto gimgunlock.exe and therefore you should have unlocked it. Did you use the OS Mac version from the bottom of the initial post in the link given by Caty, and did you then put the unlocked image back on the Astro?
    Sorry, i only can give detailed help to idiots using a PC and that's hard enough.
    'Thanking Posts' are banned. To thank someone, and/or to see hidden links and content, use the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] button below left of the helpful post then refresh your browser [F5 key]. 'Thanking Posts' are banned.
    Please don't spam. Posts serving no purpose other than to thank or to ask about hidden links are trashed or deleted, it's GPSPower's policy. Please don't spam.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] should make their first post as a new Intro Thread in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

Member +

Neil, I think I did it as per the instructions using the MAC file. I will try it again in the morning but as far as I can tell nothing happened,certainly no pop up windows.

Thanks again.

Instructions from gimgunlock thread:
    Mac OS X version of gimgunlock v0.03
    Usage: unzip, open a Terminal window and use either method below to unlock.

method 1:
    enter the command below
    "pathname-of-gimgunlock" "pathname-of-img-file-of-map"
    hit return to run

method 2:
    drag the icon of gimgunlock to the Terminal window
    drag the icon of img file of map to the Terminal window
    hit return to run.
    l9ebnsm

Galaxy S5 Kitkat 4.4.2 / Nuvi1200->1250 / Nuvi3790T->34xx / Nuvi 2200 / Nuvi 66 / Oregon 600

Member +

Ok, lets try explain further. I plug in the GPS, up pops two removable drives Garmin and Garmin UK. Within the Garmin Uk is gmapsupp.gma gmapsupp.img and gmapsupp.uml.

I have downloaded the gimgunlock file for the MAC and this folder appears gimulock-0 Within the folder is gimgunlock and gimxor

When I drag the img file from the GPS onto the gimgunlock icon nothing happens apart from I copy the file from the GPS location. This takes several minutes to do. I now have 2 copies of the img file in the gimgunlock-0 folder. what would happen if I drag the gimgunlock folder into the Garmin Uk folder where the img file is?

I realise this is probably very simple and I apologise for my stupidity!!!

Garmin/GPS Systems GMod. What am I doing wrong.

1. Don't worry about gimgxor.exe for this. It's only rarely needed to 'unscramble' a previously XORed image file. If you want a full explanation about when it's used and why, see [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

2. Remove the .gma and .unl files. They are specific to the GPS you've pinched the map from and cannot help when you try to use the map image with your Astro [they can only hinder correct operation in a different unit] .

3. Your description makes it seem that the map is on a microSD card in the Astro, not in the internal memory. It's fine to be on the card as long as it correctly placed, see 6 below. Move the img file from your Astro or it's card and make a copy of it to keep somewhere safe in case something goes wrong.

4. Open a terminal window on your Mac and then do the steps in either Method 1 or Method 2 given in catymag's post immediately above your post. Those instructions have been copied and pasted from the link previously given for the mac version of gimgunlock.

5. After you've unlocked the map image, move it back to the Astro or it's card.

6. If the map is on the card, it is usually quite safe to unlock the image on the card itself if you want to skip the step of moving it to your mac then back after unlocking.

&. The correct path on the card is x:/Garmin/gmapsupp.img. Not directly in the root.
    'Thanking Posts' are banned. To thank someone, and/or to see hidden links and content, use the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] button below left of the helpful post then refresh your browser [F5 key]. 'Thanking Posts' are banned.
    Please don't spam. Posts serving no purpose other than to thank or to ask about hidden links are trashed or deleted, it's GPSPower's policy. Please don't spam.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] should make their first post as a new Intro Thread in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

Member +

The map is on a Sd card. I have copied all the files then deleted them. I opened the gmapsupp folder and dragged the img file onto the gig unlock icon nothing happened? I then dragged it back to the sd card in the GPS. this took ages.

The sd card still works on the 62GPS but nothing shows on the Astro but it does show the map GB discoverer as enabled.

Im not sure what you mean by "open a terminal window" and I certainly don't know what the correct path on the card is or where I use it!

This is quite frustrating!!

Quote Originally Posted by Deerman View Post
    Im not sure what you mean by "open a terminal window" and I certainly don't know what the correct path on the card is or where I use it!
    670px Open Applications Using Terminal on Mac Step 1
    drag the icon of gimgunlock to the Terminal window
    drag the icon of img file of map to the Terminal window
    hit return to run.
    Not so hard
    path is the one Neil gave you at point 6 in post n 8.
    If you cant do these simple steps, download an already unlocked map or buy it
    l9ebnsm