Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

Default Which Garmin model?

This isn't just a question about which is the best model.....but more about which model will do what i'm looking for.

I already have a TomTom Go750 with various East European countries installed, but some such as Serbia, Bosnia, Albania, Ukraine will not accept GPS co-ordinates. It will simply state "not found" on the display......even though i have the country in the GPS!

So during my travels around Albania last year, i met a Dutch guy who was driving to Mongolia and he told me that Garmin are the only GPS which will recognise co-ords in countries where i was struggling with my TT. So the question is.....which model?

As an example here is a set of co-ordinates to which i know the precise location; N 41° 55' 25.9" E 019° 32' 30.7"

If your Garmin will tell you where that is, then i'd like to know the model!

All advice/help appreciated as i want to get this problem sorted before next year as i'm going to Ukraine and possibly Belarus.

2.    Advertissements

Garmin/GPS Systems GMod. Which Garmin model?
    Which Garmin model?Which Garmin model?Which Garmin model?Which Garmin model?Which Garmin model?Which Garmin model?Which Garmin model?

Assuming you're wanting an automotive device, all current and recent nuvi, zumo & dezl series will find it with the coordinate format set to h ddd° mm.mmm' as you've written it. On a couple of my units with non-unicode EU CN that point is in Albania, roughly due South of Bushat and about 1km West of the SH29. It appears to be a camping ground on the north side of an unnamed road.
    'Thanking Posts' are banned. To thank someone, and/or to see hidden links and content, use the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] button below left of the helpful post then refresh your browser [F5 key]. 'Thanking Posts' are banned.
    Please don't spam. Posts serving no purpose other than to thank or to ask about hidden links are trashed or deleted, it's GPSPower's policy. Please don't spam.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] should make their first post as a new Intro Thread in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Assuming you're wanting an automotive device, all current and recent nuvi, zumo & dezl series will find it with the coordinate format set to h ddd° mm.mmm' as you've written it. On a couple of my units with non-unicode EU CN that point is in Albania, roughly due South of Bushat and about 1km West of the SH29. It appears to be a camping ground on the north side of an unnamed road.
    That's exactly where it is. If i try that in my TT it simply displays as "location not found".......even though i have Albania in the GPS!

So which model/s Garmin did you try it on and the other question being, did either or both come with East European mapping already in, or did you pay extra for a download?

Which Garmin model?Which Garmin model?Which Garmin model?Which Garmin model?Which Garmin model?Which Garmin model?Which Garmin model?

GARMIN 1! TomTom 0!

Beats me then why TT even gives you the option to search by coordinates really. Are you only trying in simulation? Maybe it would work with a Sat fix. Might be worth asking in TT section .... wtf am i saying!!?? ... eh .. i mean, put the piece of cr@p on eflea and buy a decent PND from Garmin. Yeah, that's what i mean.

EDIT: Tried in AU 1450 and AU 2595 both with only Albania on microSD, unlocked. However, as i mentioned all recent Garmin auto units can search by coords.
    Last edited by Neil; 18th November 2014 at 07:55 AM.
    'Thanking Posts' are banned. To thank someone, and/or to see hidden links and content, use the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] button below left of the helpful post then refresh your browser [F5 key]. 'Thanking Posts' are banned.
    Please don't spam. Posts serving no purpose other than to thank or to ask about hidden links are trashed or deleted, it's GPSPower's policy. Please don't spam.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] should make their first post as a new Intro Thread in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

Member + Which Garmin model?Which Garmin model? tli's Avatar

Even on an old bottom-of-the-line nuvi 200, the same results as reported by Neil. Some screenshots:

Yes i agree it IS odd!!

Imagine how i felt when i only discovered this during enroute to Albania via Bosnia and Serbia. I felt pretty damn stupid that i'd expected it to work as the countries are in the damn GPS! And as i travel alone it meant having to use hard mapping and pre-plan a route every day.

I will look at both of those models you mentioned. Thanks for the info and thanks also to Tli for the screenshots!

GPSPower Helper Which Garmin model?
    Which Garmin model?

If you are buying second hand then I recommend nuvi 3490 if new nuvi 3597.
    Choose an option with Lifetime Maps for your region.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
    Albert Einstein.

Looked at both those and there is a used 3597LMT on eBay i'm watching. Best price new is £229 ($358).

I prefer 5" screen over 4.3" but what reasons would you recommend the 3597 to say the 2595?

You'll probably get as many opinions as there are ppl to give them unfortunately. BTW, i wasn't necessarily recommending either of those two 5" units i used to find the coords, merely letting you know what i used as you asked. They are both quite capable 5" units, but also quite different. Better to make your own comparisons ultimately though:
    Code:
    Please Login or Register to see the links
    Here's the links for the specs on the 3597 and 2595 for you to compare their features:
    Code:
    I've got dozens of units ranging from old StreetPilots thru to 3597. The 3597 is the one i have in my day-to-day drive car which i suppose speaks for itself. Co-incidentally, the 2595 is usually in my second car and also gets a bit of use now and then. But i'll happily swap them for others i'm needing to test from time to time. I've used TT, Navman, Navig8r, Intellinav and other weird brands too as well as some Chinese WinCE 'no brand' jobbies. Much prefer Garmin over them all, but then it might be 'the devil you know' syndrome. If you're buying a 2nd hand 5" you might want to look at 3590 too:
    Code:
    Ultimately, best to do some research to find your ideal unit. 'Coz "One man's meat is another man's poison" i reckon.

Thats true re. 'one mans meat' etc. That 3590 (cheaper) looks to have almost identical spec to the 3597 (more expensive)......yet the 3590 gives double the amount of battery life than the 3597! Not that that's real important as 99.9% of the time it's plugged in. Thanks for the links.