Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

Default Need help to revive a nüvi 765 (if possible at all...)

Got a dead nüvi 765 from a friend. Symptoms are as follows:

- When sliding on/off switch to 'ON' position, unit does not power up (no screen activity, no sound).
    - When attaching to home charger, unit does not power up (no screen activity, no sound).
    - When attaching to PC via USB cable, unit does not enter mass storage mode (no screen activity, no sound, no PC response).
    - After replacing battery by new one (and fully charged in another unit!), same symptoms.
    - Unable to enter pre-boot mode.

Anything I could still try to get this unit back to live?
    Last edited by smokefree; 8th October 2014 at 09:21 PM.

2.    Advertissements

Master

Try soft reset
    Slide the Power key to the left and hold it for 8 seconds.

Important User

IMHO is dead
    l9ebnsm
    You have to navigate to get to the good.

Galaxy S5 Kitkat 4.4.2 / Nuvi1200->1250 / Nuvi3790T->34xx / Nuvi 2200 / Nuvi 66 / Oregon 600

Quote Originally Posted by tp2168 View Post
    Try soft reset
    Slide the Power key to the left and hold it for 8 seconds.
    Sorry, forgot to mention that in post #1... tried that also without any success.

Quote Originally Posted by catymag View Post
    IMHO is dead
    My guess too...

Garmin/GPS Systems GMod.

It's dead almost certainly by what you've tried. Last gasp attempts: Hold power slide to left, connect to rear port of PC and hold to left for as long as possible [at least several minutes]. If it doesn't wake up, open it again and disconnect the battery for an hour or so preferably overnight. If neither works strip it for parts because someone's played with it a bit too much and killed it probably. I've got a 265W and 255W from ebay like that, dead as dodos nothing worked to wake them. Happens eventually to us all who buy 'bricked' units cheap. The mongrel who sold me the 255W had even substituted a non-working screen and dead battery so only the case was immediately salvageable after i went to the trouble to swap both screen and battery to another working unit to test.
    'Thanking Posts' are banned. To thank someone, and/or to see hidden links and content, use the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] button below left of the helpful post then refresh your browser [F5 key]. 'Thanking Posts' are banned.
    Please don't spam. Posts serving no purpose other than to thank or to ask about hidden links are trashed or deleted, it's GPSPower's policy. Please don't spam.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] should make their first post as a new Intro Thread in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Hold power slide to left, connect to rear port of PC and hold to left for as long as possible [at least several minutes].
    Held it for just over 4 minutes, then my (numb) finger slipped off the button. No life noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    If it doesn't wake up, open it again and disconnect the battery for an hour or so preferably overnight.
    Left the battery disconnected for 24 hrs. Then reconnected it, hooked the unit up to the home charger and tried to switch it on. Still unable to bring it back to life.

Will use it as a paper weight, or as a source of spare parts, whichever is needed first...