Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

Default Help installing map img on NUVI 670 NA

device: NUVI 670 NA:
    software verion 4.90
    audio version 2.20
    GPS SW Version 3.00
    Bluetooth SW version 0.00

This might be a simple question but I thought I would get clarification before i proceed.

I have downloaded the unlocked City Navigator North America NT 2015.20 (Canada/USA) map image and unpacked it. The packed content included one file only (GMAPPROM.IMG approx 2GB file)

Now I have the latest GMAPPROM.img file on my PC. From what I have read it should be just an easy copy onto the device (location: Garmin_Nuvi\Garmin) and overwriting the existing old GMAPPROM.IMG file......and I am done????? What about the other files (GMAPPROM.unl, gmapsupp.unl and others). Do they not need updating?

I find it hard to believe that it is that easy. However, before I do this I would like to back up the files on my device. Is backing up as simple as copying the device files (including hidden files) or do I have to make a disk image of the device?

Any help would be appreciated or point me in the right direction for IMG file installation.

Thanks

2.    Advertissements

Important User Help installing map img on NUVI 670 NA
    Help installing map img on NUVI 670 NAHelp installing map img on NUVI 670 NAHelp installing map img on NUVI 670 NAHelp installing map img on NUVI 670 NAHelp installing map img on NUVI 670 NAHelp installing map img on NUVI 670 NAHelp installing map img on NUVI 670 NA

Is backing up as simple as copying the device files (including hidden files)
    Yes
    or do I have to make a disk image of the device?
    no
    I'm afraid the 670 can only read a map that is no larger than 2GB. So you need a smaller img.
    Then replace gmapprom.img, and remove .unl and .gma if your img is already unlocked.

Does BT work?
    l9ebnsm
    You have to navigate to get to the good.

Galaxy S5 Kitkat 4.4.2 / Nuvi1200->1250 / Nuvi3790T->34xx / Nuvi 2200 / Nuvi 66 / Oregon 600

Master Help installing map img on NUVI 670 NAHelp installing map img on NUVI 670 NAHelp installing map img on NUVI 670 NA

Quote Originally Posted by singhrh View Post
    device: NUVI 670 NA:
    software verion 4.90
    audio version 2.20
    GPS SW Version 3.00

This might be a simple question but I thought I would get clarification before i proceed.

I have downloaded the unlocked City Navigator North America NT 2015.20 (Canada/USA) map image and unpacked it. The packed content included one file only (GMAPPROM.IMG approx 2GB file)

Now I have the latest GMAPPROM.img file on my PC. From what I have read it should be just an easy copy onto the device (location: Garmin_Nuvi\Garmin) and overwriting the existing old GMAPPROM.IMG file......and I am done????? What about the other files (GMAPPROM.unl, gmapsupp.unl and others). Do they not need updating?

I find it hard to believe that it is that easy. However, before I do this I would like to back up the files on my device. Is backing up as simple as copying the device files (including hidden files) or do I have to make a disk image of the device?

Any help would be appreciated or point me in the right direction for IMG file installation.

Thanks
    Backups are just simple file copies from the GPS to the PC and restores simply go the other way. It's a fine idea to do it. No need to make a disk image.

The you said the latest gmapprom.img you have is "unlocked". Therefore you simply replace the original gmapprom.img with the new one. You must then delete the existing gmapprom.unl file from the gps. That .unl file is just a renamed .TXT file which contains the unlock key for your original map. Your new map is already unlocked so there's no need for a corresponding .unl (unliock) file. Any .sum files can be either removed or left alone. They are simply checksum files and are not necessary for anything.

If you have a gmapsupp.img and gmapsupp.unl leave it alone. That's some different map and its unlock file you have loaded on your gps.

Garmin/GPS Systems GMod. Help installing map img on NUVI 670 NA
    Help installing map img on NUVI 670 NAHelp installing map img on NUVI 670 NAHelp installing map img on NUVI 670 NAHelp installing map img on NUVI 670 NAHelp installing map img on NUVI 670 NAHelp installing map img on NUVI 670 NAHelp installing map img on NUVI 670 NA

Quote Originally Posted by singhrh View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by catymag View Post
    Does BT work?
    If it doesn't, connect it to GarminExpress or better still WebUpdater to see if it offers an update. If not, extract the attached file into the RemoteSW folder of the unit's Garmin folder then turn it on to see if it updates the BT sw version to 3.40. First backup and remove any file named 006B055301.GCD if already existing in RemoteSW folder.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    'Thanking Posts' are banned. To thank someone, and/or to see hidden links and content, use the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] button below left of the helpful post then refresh your browser [F5 key]. 'Thanking Posts' are banned.
    Please don't spam. Posts serving no purpose other than to thank or to ask about hidden links are trashed or deleted, it's GPSPower's policy. Please don't spam.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] should make their first post as a new Intro Thread in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

Thanks for the input guys! I'm not sure if the BT ever worked as I never used it. I will update the device tonight and test. Report back later on the progress.

YaaaaaaaaHHH! It worked. Haven't tried the bluetooth but I never use that anyways. Maybe in the future I'll venture down that road.

You guys rock! Thanks for all of your help.

Garmin/GPS Systems GMod. Help installing map img on NUVI 670 NA

BT should be ok now if it's showing "Bluetooth SW version 3.40" instead of 0.00.

Which 'it' worked, did it update by GE / WU or did you have to place 006B055301.GCD manually in RemoteSW?
    'Thanking Posts' are banned. To thank someone, and/or to see hidden links and content, use the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] button below left of the helpful post then refresh your browser [F5 key]. 'Thanking Posts' are banned.
    Please don't spam. Posts serving no purpose other than to thank or to ask about hidden links are trashed or deleted, it's GPSPower's policy. Please don't spam.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] should make their first post as a new Intro Thread in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].