Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    GPSPower Helper About gmapdem.img file Express updated in Nuvi with 2015.10 EU release.
    About gmapdem.img file Express updated in Nuvi with 2015.10 EU release.

If it does not show up in My Maps Then it is "Not Working" or "Missing"
    All Gmapdem.img "Garmin Dem Overlay maps" Must show up in My Maps

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
    Albert Einstein.

2.    Advertissements

But this is the gmapdem.img file that has been renamed to D2249750A.IMG, which is there and is working as it should, interms of DEM on hte device, I have depth and terrain texturing. Just not the my maps option, which we have been discussing. It is, as i understand, a simple case of renaming the D2249750A.IMG to gmapdem.img for the device to recognise it so it also shows in my maps. But, my device has DEM working without this option in my maps.

From what I have seen since I first noticed it, this issue is very wide spread and well doccumented, more so for the NA and CN maps. I am guessing that, those who only updated whole, maps, not just incremental updates such as, the .20,30,40 etc and just updat 2013, 2014, 2015, may not have this issue of the renamed file. Or people just have not realised that the DEM map option in my maps is missing becuase of a reaniming issue and thinking that it is by design as the device DEM mapping is working as it should.

i will be able to confirm this when I rename the file, but not for a few weeks when I won't be needing my device. Unless anyone else is able to play with their D2249750A.IMG (or similar) and the gmapdem.img file?

Garmin/GPS Systems GMod. About gmapdem.img file Express updated in Nuvi with 2015.10 EU release.
    About gmapdem.img file Express updated in Nuvi with 2015.10 EU release.About gmapdem.img file Express updated in Nuvi with 2015.10 EU release.About gmapdem.img file Express updated in Nuvi with 2015.10 EU release.About gmapdem.img file Express updated in Nuvi with 2015.10 EU release.About gmapdem.img file Express updated in Nuvi with 2015.10 EU release.About gmapdem.img file Express updated in Nuvi with 2015.10 EU release.About gmapdem.img file Express updated in Nuvi with 2015.10 EU release.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpier View Post
    i will be able to confirm this when I rename the file, but not for a few weeks when I won't be needing my device. Unless anyone else is able to play with their D2249750A.IMG (or similar) and the gmapdem.img file?
    Maybe the 'DEM' you are seeing is the in-built DEM on the basemap showing when you zoom out. Please read my previous post again, the EU 3D Terrain DEM works for me as stated. I agree with dasilvarsa, if it's not showing in MyMaps usually it's not active, but don't forget the bug which often will combine and confuse the info if 2 or more DEMs are loaded. To cover all bases, I moved the EU DEM D2249750A.IMG to the unit's .System folder and renamed it gmapdem.img. It's still selectable in MyMaps identifying as 'Europe DEM' and it's working normally. gmapdem1.img should also work in .System folder.

Map identifying as '3D' are 3D building/landmark maps, 3D Terrain maps identify as DEM in MyMaps.

Just so you're clear on what I was saying, the 3D Terrain selection in Map Layers disables DEM totally. The selection in MyMaps is for individually selecting/deselecting separate DEM maps.
    'Thanking Posts' are banned. To thank someone, and/or to see hidden links and content, use the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] button below left of the helpful post then refresh your browser [F5 key]. 'Thanking Posts' are banned.
    Please don't spam. Posts serving no purpose other than to thank or to ask about hidden links are trashed or deleted, it's GPSPower's policy. Please don't spam.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] should make their first post as a new Intro Thread in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

Ok, this just gets confusing for me. The D2249750A.IMG I have on my device in the .sys folder, is absoulutely identical to the gmapdem.ing backup file I made when I first switched on the device when I got it.

When comparing both the gmapdem.img file on my backup, the gmapdem.img file Garmin sent me and the D2249750A.IMG I now have on my system they are identical to the last name, info, bit, byte, kb etc. It is safe to say that all three files are one and the same.

On this same thread it was metioned that, all that needs to be done is, to rename the D2249750A.IMG to gmapdem.img, so that the device is able to undersand and interperate the gmapdem.img file so that it shows up in my maps as a map.

As for zooming, the only difference with turning off the map layers as you sugget, is that the detail is less, in terms of shading and depth.

As far as everything else goes the device performs as it did berfore the gmapdem file was renamed.

My concern as to pasting in my original and totally identical gmapdem.img file, is, that havign two identical files, where only one should exist, albeit they have different names, is that this may cause a conflict withing the device. But I dont know enough about the way these programes and files interact.

If I had a spare devcie I would love to play with it and confirm one way or another what is happening. As there are a lot of people out there who believe that he file is gone, or are totally oblivious to anyhting that has happened.

I seek enlightenment and hope I do not appear as argumentative.

GPSPower Helper About gmapdem.img file Express updated in Nuvi with 2015.10 EU release.

Just leave the file in the .system folder and rename the file and it will work fine. (Don't add any more files)
    What are you afraid of anyway ?
    Right now your Dem is not working !
    Albert Einstein.

The comments made by Ellinas and you have bared this and my assumption out. What I am concerned about is that there have also been comments on this topic which have contradicted the tain of thought, that this is the DEM file and just needs renaiming. But, two trains of thought here is my concern. And I am worried about messing with my deice, before I go away.

But, it is more likely than not, that renaiming and returning the file it to it's original form, dem name, will solve all.
    Last edited by Grumpier; 6th July 2014 at 05:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dasilvarsa View Post
    Just leave the file in the .system folder and rename the file and it will work fine. (Don't add any more files)
    What are you afraid of anyway ?
    Right now your Dem is not working !
    Holy crap, I stand totally corrected. Could not resist changing the name as I knew it had to be done. Anyway, Yep, definitely it was not working. As soon as the device rebooted there was teh EU DEM Map, in the my maps where it should always have been, looking good. But, the real revelation was going to a moiuntain range ion the Austrian Alps, now before, the terrain mapping was pretty damned good. But now, behold, the mountains have real peaks and troughs, truley great.

When will they put snow and real-time weather effects.

One more thing, why was Garmin UK so, unknowledgeable and so useless? This really was such a simple thing to have to do and I don't believe for one minute the real techy guys, wherever they are in the world, didn't know. A simple memo to all service centres, saying, rename the file. How difficult is that. Rant over.

Thanks people a nice friendly forum.

Ps. Dasilvarsa it looks like I misread the last line of your post

Garmin/GPS Systems GMod. About gmapdem.img file Express updated in Nuvi with 2015.10 EU release.
    About gmapdem.img file Express updated in Nuvi with 2015.10 EU release.About gmapdem.img file Express updated in Nuvi with 2015.10 EU release.About gmapdem.img file Express updated in Nuvi with 2015.10 EU release.About gmapdem.img file Express updated in Nuvi with 2015.10 EU release.About gmapdem.img file Express updated in Nuvi with 2015.10 EU release.About gmapdem.img file Express updated in Nuvi with 2015.10 EU release.About gmapdem.img file Express updated in Nuvi with 2015.10 EU release.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpier View Post
    One more thing, why was Garmin UK so, unknowledgeable and so useless? This really was such a simple thing to have to do and I don't believe for one minute the real techy guys, wherever they are in the world, didn't know. A simple memo to all service centres, saying, rename the file. How difficult is that. Rant over.
    As with all large organisations, it's probably not totally fair to judge them on the failings of one or two staff but to state the obvious a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link. I've had email exchanges with certain service droids who were obviously thinking about their next beer-break rather than the problem. In your case, someone hit 'crappy-response #3' rather than even think about what's actually been asked i reckon.

It's blindly obvious to the ppl in here who have responded to your problem, and many readers, that no DEM .img will work in .System named as D2249750A or anything else other than gmapdem or gmapdem1, but will work in the unit or card Map folder with 'anyname' as we've been saying. The lowest of the lowest newbie trainee customer [dis]service officer at Garmin should and would also know that, along with the fact that if it's not appearing in map info then it's not working. That's because it's Garmin File Naming 1.01 for 3xxx nuvi series and related. If i was in a regional service division and got a memo from on-high saying anything more than a warning that replacement dems are being loaded to .System named other than gmapdem [such as saying don't forget to tell customers to either rename it or move it to a Map folder], my reaction would be 'Thanks Capt. Obvious!'

It's good you're finally sorted anyway. Thread marked 'solved'.
    'Thanking Posts' are banned. To thank someone, and/or to see hidden links and content, use the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] button below left of the helpful post then refresh your browser [F5 key]. 'Thanking Posts' are banned.
    Please don't spam. Posts serving no purpose other than to thank or to ask about hidden links are trashed or deleted, it's GPSPower's policy. Please don't spam.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] should make their first post as a new Intro Thread in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

Just to Add on Nuvi 3490/3590
    If you create a folder in the unit memory named /Map you can copy the dem map to it with anyname.img and it will work.
    Facts are Facts.
    Albert Einstein.