Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member +

Default update firmware of nuvi using SD card

hello all
    i have a nuvi 40 do not recognize by computer and i want to update it
    i put the GCD file in SD/garmin/gupdate
    but i could not preboot the device because it always go to calibration mode
    any solution ?

2.    Advertissements

GPSPower Helper update firmware of nuvi using SD card
    update firmware of nuvi using SD card

Does thus Nuvi Navigate Normally or is it bricked ?

Have you tried to use Garmin Express to Update the Nuvi ?
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
    Albert Einstein.

Member +

it is normal , but i have a problem with USB , a line missing on the motherboard , but it is just charging

Garmin/GPS Systems GMod. update firmware of nuvi using SD card
    update firmware of nuvi using SD cardupdate firmware of nuvi using SD cardupdate firmware of nuvi using SD cardupdate firmware of nuvi using SD cardupdate firmware of nuvi using SD cardupdate firmware of nuvi using SD cardupdate firmware of nuvi using SD card

If you load the later fw gupdate.cgd onto a microSD card, you do not need to be in preboot. Simply place it in a Garmin folder on the card, turn the unit off and then insert the card. Rebooting the unit will allow the fw to be loaded.

If you wish to do it in preboot, you need to have usb access to the unit which you don't seem to have going by your post.

Are you sure that this unit isn't being seen via usb is due to a hw fault? Hard resetting a unit and/or clearing non-vol sometimes will solve erratic behaviour. Many things can be done via the card including removal of files/folders and voice and map updates etc using script commands with ldr.bin, but it's a clumsy way to have to do things.
    'Thanking Posts' are banned. To thank someone, and/or to see hidden links and content, use the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] button below left of the helpful post then refresh your browser [F5 key]. 'Thanking Posts' are banned.
    Please don't spam. Posts serving no purpose other than to thank or to ask about hidden links are trashed or deleted, it's GPSPower's policy. Please don't spam.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] should make their first post as a new Intro Thread in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

Member +

thanks for reply
    i am sure it is not seen by HW , i exchanged the usb and a line is missed ,
    i try to do what you said but it is not working , i put the gcd file inside garmin folder in SD card and rename it as Gupdate , but it is not working
    as you said it is difficult to use script , just i need to update firmware now

update firmware of nuvi using SD cardupdate firmware of nuvi using SD cardupdate firmware of nuvi using SD cardupdate firmware of nuvi using SD cardupdate firmware of nuvi using SD cardupdate firmware of nuvi using SD cardupdate firmware of nuvi using SD card

The file needs to be named gupdate.gcd. Are you sure the current fw is a lower version? If it is, then maybe the card is not being recognised either. Did you try reset/clear NV?
    'Thanking Posts' are banned. To thank someone, and/or to see hidden links and content, use the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] button below left of the helpful post then refresh your browser [F5 key]. 'Thanking Posts' are banned.
    Please don't spam. Posts serving no purpose other than to thank or to ask about hidden links are trashed or deleted, it's GPSPower's policy. Please don't spam.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] should make their first post as a new Intro Thread in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

Member +

i named it as you said , the version of the device is 3.6 the firmware i try to update is nuvi40and50_GCDfile__380
    and i do not want to lose data from the device because i can not back it up

What's so important that you can't lose it? A hard reset / clear NV is the immediate action first aid for a unit acting strangely. If it can't be seen by USB in either MSM or preboot and you can't use a card for updates it's near useless anyway. It's your choice of course, but if it was mine i wouldn't hesitate to reset it.

Member +

i do not want to lose waypoints but if it is the only solution i will try it , thanks for interest

GPSPower Helper update firmware of nuvi using SD card
    update firmware of nuvi using SD card

Try another sd card Some SD cards don't work for all functions.

Create folder named Garmin inside this folder put gupdate.gcd (make sure it's gcd and not gdc)

Place SD card in device and switch on. If your file is good it should update.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
    Albert Einstein.