Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by tonytone View Post
    Re: #1--I'm not sure if it's due to installing map version 2014.20 (I am running 2014.20 as well) or if Garmin has wised up--nothing happens when I click on the "Free" button as well.

Can anyone who hasn't upgraded to a 2014 map check to see if the Free button in Extras is no longer working for them as well?

Also--the "trafficTrends" slider option in Settings -> Extras is no longer showing on my Garmin; I don't really know if it disappeared due to my having installed 2014.20, or sometime after that. I still get info about traffic congestion along my route and surrounding areas--no immediate traffic congestion reroute option of course since that is only available with the Traffic feature that cannot be purchased/enabled on a "customized" Garmin iPhone app.

Also #2--the fuel prices option is no longer available on my iPhone as well--when I fired up the Garmin app on my iPhone earlier today I got a popup message stating that the fuel prices feature has expired (or something to that effect)--I then noticed that the fuel prices icon is no longer available when I tap on the "Where To" icon. Bummer...
    Hi Tonytone,
    Same thing here! After updating to 2014.40 map the traffic trends and fuel price are missing and local search doesn't say google anymore. Just says local_search.
    Alsounable to click on the free in-app-purchases. Any help?

2.    Advertissements

Re: #1--I'm not sure if it's due to installing map version 2014.20 (I am running 2014.20 as well) or if Garmin has wised up--nothing happens when I click on the "Free" button as well.

Can anyone who hasn't upgraded to a 2014 map check to see if the Free button in Extras is no longer working for them as well?

Also--the "trafficTrends" slider option in Settings -> Extras is no longer showing on my Garmin; I don't really know if it disappeared due to my having installed 2014.20, or sometime after that. I still get info about traffic congestion along my route and surrounding areas--no immediate traffic congestion reroute option of course since that is only available with the Traffic feature that cannot be purchased/enabled on a "customized" Garmin iPhone app.

Also #2--the fuel prices option is no longer available on my iPhone as well--when I fired up the Garmin app on my iPhone earlier today I got a popup message stating that the fuel prices feature has expired (or something to that effect)--I then noticed that the fuel prices icon is no longer available when I tap on the "Where To" icon. Bummer...
    Hi Tonytone,
    Same thing here. After updating the maps to 2014.40, both the traffic trends and the "fuel price" options don't show up anymore.
    Also, the "free" button in the free-in-app purchase is not responding. Means, unable to click on the free button to install.
    In addition the local search is now says local_search instead of Google. Any clues? Thanks!

tonytone

Quote Originally Posted by bent622 View Post
    Hi Tonytone,
    Same thing here. After updating the maps to 2014.40, both the traffic trends and the "fuel price" options don't show up anymore.
    Also, the "free" button in the free-in-app purchase is not responding. Means, unable to click on the free button to install.
    In addition the local search is now says local_search instead of Google. Any clues? Thanks!
    I wish I knew--like you, my Google Search has turned (back) into Local Search; I'm not 100% certain that it was the update to 2014.20 (and/or 2014.30, which I'm currently on) that "broke" it because I did notice that the Google Search icon was still there after 2014.30.

If I had a spare iPhone lying around, I would try installing Garmin from scratch but using 2013 data instead of 2014 to see if the changes were due to anything server-side on Garmin's end...

I suspect the message in the Extras menu about no longer being able to get a "subscription" for (certain) services once they expire may have something to do with it--i.e., it could be that perhaps things like the Fuel Prices option may have "expired" and are apparently no longer available; that, or Garmin wised up and made changes to their back-end servers used for purchases and stuff...

tonytone

Update--I'm guessing that maybe Garmin has chosen to go with a different search engine instead of Google on their backend; for grins, I edited the /etc/hosts file and added the following line:

127.0.0.1 silver.garmin.com

Now, when I click on the Local Search icon and attempt to execute a search, nothing happens--i.e., no results are listed; when I remove the above line from /etc/hosts, Local Search works normally again. So clearly the Local Search tool is making a call to some backend search engine on Garmin's end...but if you needed more proof that the Local Search function does indeed rely on a remote backend search engine--turn off both Wifi and Cellular radios on your phone, then report back on what happens when you tap Local Search and attempt a search...

news

Garmin has chosen to go with a different search engine instead of Google
    YES bro, Garmin Chosen Nokia HERE for default local search engine.

See in Setting/About
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Last edited by Larry-X; 26th February 2014 at 11:37 PM.

tonytone

Default Shorter way to make Local Search/Weather/Traffic to work on Garmin StreetPilot 2.2 for iPhone

After having had to reinstall the Garmin app on my iPhone and learning about how choosing a destination from the Contacts book requires a certain SID file for the search to work correctly, I have figured out that some of the steps in my original tutorial may not have been necessary; for the sake of brevity, I will outline a "better" method that doesn't require some of the original steps, but will include the addition of a few more steps (please refer to original tutorial for screenshots if you need visual aid):

Prerequisite--if you've previously installed Garmin StreetPilot 2.x to your iPhone, please uninstall it via iTunes, then reboot your phone (just to make sure it's completely gone from your iPhone) before starting--it is important that you start out with a clean slate, as doing so will eliminate many of the file deletion steps I listed in my original tutorial.

1) Make sure your iPhone is connected to the internet (either via Wifi or Cellular) before continuing

2) Install Garmin 2.2--not 2.0 or older, and not 2.3 or newer. Once you've installed Garmin 2.2 to your iPhone, it is important that you do not start up the app just yet!

3) Using iFile or other file editor, edit the /etc/hosts file and add only the following entry:

127.0.0.1 gold.garmin.com

Do not add a line in /etc/hosts that contains silver.garmin.com--get rid of it if already exists in your /etc/hosts file! If you're uncomfortable with messing with the /etc/hosts file, you can elect to install a firewall app from Cydia instead (Firewall IP is a good one to use) and follow the instructions for that app on how to block gold.garmin.com (but not silver.garmin.com).

4) If the Garmin 2.2 app you installed didn't come with any maps, make sure you install at a minimum gmapbmap.img and gmaptz.img; you can also go ahead and install your desired gmapprom.img map file. Note which version of the gmapprom.img map file is installed or that you elect to install (e.g., CNNA 2014.40); if you're not sure what map version is installed, I would simply just replace it with whatever current version you can find in this forum--this is important as evidenced in the next step:

5) (New) copy over the correct version of the SID files (D2656***A.SID for External Point Addressing, D3157***A.SID for InstaSearch, D3406***A.SID for trafficTrends, D3398***A.SID for Fast Routing) to the /private/var/mobile/Applications/****/Library/sdcard/Garmin/SID directory; note--you may need to create the "sdcard/Garmin/SID" directory structure so don't worry if you don't see it there at first glance. I honestly don't know if all four of these SID files are needed but the InstaSearch one will be needed at a minimum or else selecting a destination from the Contacts book in Garmin will not return results and may/will eventually cause the Garmin program to crash. Also I highly recommend that you copy all four SID files rather than just the InstaSearch SID file for now and then later on deciding to copy the other files over after you've fired up the Garmin app--I found out the hard way that doing this (adding the other SID files later down the line) somehow causes Google Street View to not work correctly when viewing details of whatever destination you selected. Whichever SID file(s) you elect to copy over, they all have to be the same version as that of the gmapprom.img map file you installed or else things may not work correctly.

6) (New) While you're at it, you should copy over gmap3d.img and/or gmapdem.img files to /private/var/mobile/Applications/***/Library/sdcard/Garmin if you have them. Also copy over the appropriate version JCV PhotoReal Junction View file to /private/var/mobile/Applications/****/Library/sdcard/Garmin/JCV directory as well.

To summarize what we've done up to this point--make sure Garmin StreetPilot is not already installed, install StreetPilot but do not start it up, edit /etc/hosts file, install all map*.img/SID/JCV files.

7) Download the four plist files I referenced in my original tutorial.

These four plist files need to be copied into /private/var/mobile/Applications/****/garmin-nav.app/; you may want to make a backup of the original plist files before copying these ones over, just to be safe. I used WinSCP to copy the modified plist files from my PC to my iPhone but you are more than welcome to use whatever tool fits the bill here. As a bonus, these customized plist files will also correctly enable the Add 3D Buildings toggle in Map Layers (if 3D map file is installed), full-screen Junction View in landscape mode, GPS Log utility, Pedestrian mode, toggle of individual maps (if more than one map region installed), and GPS Route Simulator menu options.

Note--it is not absolutely mandatory that you use my customized plist files; you are more than welcome to use your own plist files, or use the stuff in my plist files and add them into yours. I have provided mine only because they contain code for enabling the "bonus" stuff I mentioned just a moment ago, plus they have already been tested to work correctly for purposes of enabling Google/etc. I will say that you cannot use the default versions of the four plist files mentioned above and expect Google/etc. to work, even if you follow the rest of the instructions in this tutorial word for word.

Upon copying these four plist files to your iPhone, make sure the permissions of each of those files are set to:

read,write
    read
    read

Make sure the ownership of these four files is set to:

mobile:mobile

8) Once you've completed steps 1-7, you can now start up the Garmin app--if you did all of the above completely from scratch (i.e., clean install of the Garmin StreetPilot app), then there should/will be no need to delete all of those other files I alluded to in my original tutorial. No Google Local Search (replaced by Nokia), no Fuel Prices, and trafficTrends slider enable is no longer available but (Nokia) Local Search, Weather, and Traffic will work (make sure you have Internet connection or else you will receive no data/info for those three features).

Enjoy!

Anyone here can share Garmin 2.2 ipa file please?

tonytone

Stuff I should have mentioned in my tutorial (some are simply a rehash of what I explained, but with some additional info):

1) The hack allows you to get the following paid Extras for free (amounts in USD): photoLive Traffic Cameras $5.99, Traffic $19.99 (note--the traffic auto-redirect routing feature apparently doesn't work AFAICT--you have to manually tell it to look for an alternate route), Panorama View 3D $9.99 (will need to install appropriate gmapdem.img file for this to work), Urban Guidance $4.99.

2) PhotoReal Junction View, 3-D Buildings and Landmarks, and trafficTrends are free Extras but if you install the appropriate *.JCV and *img files for Junction View and 3-D Buildings respectively, those two will already be "activated". As noted in my tutorial, the trafficTrends slider no longer appears (so you can't turn it on or off) but I believe if the appropriate trafficTrendsv3 *.SID file is installed, I think it actually does try to offer you the "best" route to take when selecting a destination.

3) I am impressed with the Urban Guidance feature--just for fun I enabled GPS Simulator mode, then plotted a "pedestrian" trip from my work here in Sacramento, CA to a restaurant in San Francisco, CA--a 100+ mile trip by car; before I say anything else, I should point out that according to the Urban Guidance coverage info, Sacramento is not (currently) listed as one of the USA areas of availability (San Francisco is available). Anyways, believe it or not Garmin was able to plot a completely-pedestrian trip--it knew to tell me to get on the local Sacramento light-rail train at the train stop near my work, then take it to the Caltrain train station in downtown Sacramento and take the appropriate train to a BART (San Francisco-area light rail system) station outside of SF where I would then get on the appropriate BART train to take into SF, then get off in downtown SF and take the appropriate MUNI bus route (even told me what bus route # I needed to take) all the way to my final destination.

Of course, even with all of these goodies I am not sure how long these features will remain available--after all, the Fuel Prices option is no longer available even though it used to be there back when I first created the tutorial...and the trafficTrends slider is no longer visible as well; also, it is no longer possible to download any of the free Extras like Junction View--at least not on a Garmin app that's been "modified", if you know what I mean...but you wouldn't really want to download those freebies anyway since based on previous experience the ones that used to be able to download were not the most-current versions anyway...meaning you wuold be better off downloading the most current maps from the wonderful resources here at Noeman.
    Last edited by tonytone; 13th March 2014 at 04:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stanleyhalim View Post
    i'm in japan, my device is iphone 5g jailbroken. i've been installed Garmin USA 2.2. and i have location faker on my iphone. before i make my location in usa, google search not working, because i'm in japan, after i make my position in USA somewhere, google search working perfectly, any suggestion?
    in TargetConfig.plist:
    for Europe - client_type_id = 83,
    for USA - client_type_id = 85,
    for Japan - ???.
    Try "83" or other number.

tonytone

YMMV, but for those of you who are looking to make good use of the info in this thread, I have the following update/caveat--

When installing CNNA 2015.40, the Local Search icon (formerly known as Google Search) may no longer be visible; I got it to reappear by doing a reset of the StreetPilot app by going to Settings -> General and do a "Reset Settings", "Reset MyLocations Database", "Reset Trips Database", and finally (optionally?) "Restore to Default". Yes by doing a reset you may/will lose your saved Favorites and other customized Garmin settings but I could not find any other way to restore the Local Search icon; if anyone else can find a way to do so that doesn't require an app reset, please do share.

Also YMMV but Traffic may not work either upon installing CNNA 2015.40--like above, doing a reset restored its functionality...except that if you then click on a traffic location to view details the Garmin app will crash, thus requiring you to kill it from the background since it's still running, and then restarting the app in Airplane Mode...and yes unfortunately you will still need to do the Airplane Mode trick when starting up the app regardless.

YMMV #2--with CNNA 2015.40 if you go to Traffic -> myCameras -> Add Camera -> Select A Road, you will be presented with an blank list; I had initially assumed that the list was empty but curiosity got the better of me so I tapped at the top of the list where the first road entry would normally be displayed--lo and behold, a combined list of all available major freeway/highway cameras within a roughly 95 mile radius of my location is now visible. Unfortunately the list isn't categorized by freeway/highway # like how it normally should be but at least you can now select those cameras you are looking for.

I can't say if the above issues occur with other non-NA 2015.40 maps--I do know that when I reinstalled CNNA 2015.30 maps the above issues did not occur...so on paper it would seem that there's something odd about one or more of the CNNA 2015.40 files (IMG, JCV, SID, DB), but this is not to say that the issue is absolutely related to that--it could be that CNNA 2015.40 doesn't play nice with my old Garmin 2.2 app, or iOS 8.1, or my iPhone 6 Plus, or some Cydia app/feature installed on my iPhone.
    Last edited by tonytone; 13th April 2015 at 06:12 PM.