Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

thumbup Trying to fix a bricked nüvi 1390

I got a nüvi 1390 from a friend of mine. He played around with some files on it and managed to get it bricked. When switching it on, it hangs on the splash screen.

qeh4
    (screen shot not taken from actual unit, but shows 100% identical)

When connecting it to the PC via USB cable, it does not enter mass storage mode but again hangs on the same splash screen as shown above. Also unable to enter pre boot mode (hold top left corner when switching on) or perform a factory reset (holding bottom right corner when switching on). I tried following the instructions here:

Code:
    Please Login or Register to see the links
    but at step 7 requires to enter pre boot mode which, as explained, is not possible. I do have the original firmware for the nüvi 13xx / 14xx from the Garmin website here:

Code:
    How to get it into the GPS?

2.    Advertissements

Navigation software expert

Nuvi just hang on Garmin screen or he turn on/off?

Try scan region over SD if this will work then we can repair.

p.s.
    I have one nuvi 1490 turn on but stuck on Garmin screen, he don't recognize SD and can't enter pre boot, if you have the same problem that i don't know how to repair it, maybe kunix have some idea.
    If you wish, you can [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Quote Originally Posted by lolypop000 View Post
    Nuvi just hang on Garmin screen or he turn on/off?
    No, it hangs on the splash screen and stays there until either the battery runs flat or I switch it off myself.

Quote Originally Posted by lolypop000 View Post
    Try scan region over SD
    Please provide instructions for this.

Garmin/GPS Systems GMod.

Quote Originally Posted by smokefree View Post
    Please provide instructions for this.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    'Thanking Posts' are banned. To thank someone, and/or to see hidden links and content, use the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] button below left of the helpful post then refresh your browser [F5 key]. 'Thanking Posts' are banned.
    Please don't spam. Posts serving no purpose other than to thank or to ask about hidden links are trashed or deleted, it's GPSPower's policy. Please don't spam.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] should make their first post as a new Intro Thread in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

Navigation software expert

Here is pack for scan.

Spoiler:
    http://www4.zippyshare.com/v/78841411/file.html
    If you wish, you can [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Thanks both of you!
    It looks like the microSD is still recognized as the process was successful. The contents of the update.log file are as follows:

Code:
    In the root of the microSD there are two files:
    - backup16.bin (1,024 KB)
    - backup41.bin (4,096 KB)

By the looks of it, the FW of this unit is outdated as well (recent most version is 6.20).

Important User

Are you sure it cant enter preboot? Try again, load file in Updater.exe, then hold hold top left corner when switching on, when you see nuvi id in its window click it.
    Sometimes it's tricky
    l9ebnsm
    You have to navigate to get to the good.

Galaxy S5 Kitkat 4.4.2 / Nuvi1200->1250 / Nuvi3790T->34xx / Nuvi 2200 / Nuvi 66 / Oregon 600

Master

Do not plug in USB cable before press/hold the upper left corner of screen

Quote Originally Posted by catymag View Post
    Are you sure it cant enter preboot?
    Yes, I am. Have been trying to hold (up to 60 seconds) just about every spot on the screen when powering up the unit, but it seems like the unit does not read any commands from the touch screen. It just shows the splash screen and stays there. Nothing else shows up.

Quote Originally Posted by smokefree View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by catymag View Post
    Are you sure it cant enter preboot?
    Yes, I am. Have been trying to hold (up to 60 seconds) just about every spot on the screen when powering up the unit, but it seems like the unit does not read any commands from the touch screen. It just shows the splash screen and stays there. Nothing else shows up.
    I will have to correct myself! Yes, I finally did manage to enter preboot mode, but only after reading the instructions of our friend dasilvarsa in post #5 here:

Code:
    Key factor was the "ding-dong" which told me the unit was recognized by the PC! Before, I had been trying to get the unit into preboot mode and then connect it to the USB cable. Since the GPS screen only shows the Garmin splash screen and nothing else, I was not aware the unit could already have been in preboot mode.

So once connected to the PC in preboot mode, I kept holding the top left corner of the screen while using updater.exe to zap the original firmware into the unit (took about 1 minute) during which I heard the "ding-dong" twice more (reboot?). Eventually I got the message on my PC that the update was successful.

Unfortunately, the symptoms of the unit are still the same: during boot it hangs on the Garmin splash screen, also when trying to enter mass storage mode.