Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    GPSPower Helper Discussion about OSM-maps versus Garmin topomaps
    Discussion about OSM-maps versus Garmin topomaps

topo Discussion about OSM-maps versus Garmin topomaps

Quote Originally Posted by bommelb View Post
    I know that topic, but that does not give me the sql db-file with the information for the trails for this map.
    Unfortunately, if I understand your need, you don’t searching your map in the right place! Officials maps is not for off-roaders…; you are looking for a openstreet map!
    Look in (if you don’t find what you are seeking in this, your only solution is making yourself a map!):
    Code:
    Please Login or Register to see the links
    Code:
    Code:
    Code:
    Best regards, and good luck!

PS: rereading the post, I understand that is not what you looking for... Sorry! I don't have these files you looking for.
    Last edited by Pungente; 19th October 2013 at 07:27 PM. Reason: adding PS
    Recommended to use [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] to unpack my files.
    Zero posters won`t have hide links available, please post a [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] to be able to like and unhide links.
    ↙ LIKE to show your gratitude and unhide links; refresh (hit F5) if necessary.

2.    Advertissements

@pungete: I appreciate your comment, but I am a osm-mapper for already some years and I know and use all the maps (and more) which You are mentioning.
    I just make a remark for the missing (in my opinion) the sql-database file which is part of a topo-map and which is offering Activerouting (searching for pre-defined trails in Basecamp or on my Gps which are/must be included according to the explanation of Garmin). Like Topo France Pro, Germany v6 Pro, Danmark Pro v3 etc.
    (If there is not that kind of database file, I think this is a good detailled topomap and You can only use the pre-defined activities in Basecamp or on Your Gps, not more not less.)
    Last edited by bommelb; 19th October 2013 at 07:29 PM.

Mapperoni

Quote Originally Posted by PUNGENTE View Post
    Officials maps is not for off-roaders…;
    There is nothing wrong with official Garmin Topo Maps and Topo Belux Pro appears to be very good!
    I don't think you understand our discussion about the missing db file.
    All marked trails are present and visible in this map, the db file makes it possible to search them inside the GPS (and Basecamp) and use them for autorouting. It's a great addition to modern Garmin Topo Pro maps.

The Openstreetmaps you mention are very good too but they don't offer Active Routing and in some countries (France, Spain, Portugal) they lack a lot of detail and are no competition to the latest Garmin Topo's!

Navigation software expert Discussion about OSM-maps versus Garmin topomaps
    Discussion about OSM-maps versus Garmin topomapsDiscussion about OSM-maps versus Garmin topomapsDiscussion about OSM-maps versus Garmin topomaps

Quote Originally Posted by PUNGENTE View Post
    Officials maps is not for off-roaders…; you are looking for a openstreet map!
    Officials maps is a very solid basis for all activity navigation. It is made on professional equipment from professional geospatial database. It is not perfect for user detail but it is very safely to have it in reserve...
    Garmin, how much is 30 pieces of silver for Judas today? Were they worthy for crucifix of GPSPower?

Member +

Quote Originally Posted by Mapperoni View Post
    The Openstreetmaps you mention are very good too but they don't offer Active Routing and in some countries (France, Spain, Portugal) they lack a lot of detail and are no competition to the latest Garmin Topo's!
    As active OSM'er I can only say that nothing beats a combination of the latest OSM for a region, with Garmin Topo. Road changes are usually implemented a lot quicker on OSM. Looking at some of the Navteq maps (the base for Garmin), it can sometimes take half a year or more, for the map to be updated to the current (new) situation, especially in less travelled parts of the world. If there are active OSM'ers, you will see these updates a lot quicker.

Mapperoni

rquick, I use OSM maps as well and for some countries they are even better than Garmin Topo's (Italy for instance).
    Did you ever compare Topo France v3, Topo España v5 and TopoLusitania v0.97 (no Garmin product) with the OSM version of these countries?
    It's astonishing how little detail there is inside this area, the Garmin maps are far much better!

Member +

Quote Originally Posted by Mapperoni View Post
    It's astonishing how little detail there is inside this area, the Garmin maps are far much better!
    I compared the older Turkish Garmin maps, to the OSM maps, and the OSM was better (more detailed). Same with the Benelux maps. However the latest Turkish one (2013T3), has become a lot better. I still have to try the new BeLux, but it's probably going to be a lot better.
    The ones you mentioned above, are the very latest Garmin maps, and they are a lot better than the previous ones. However, I think it's a good idea to install both Garmin and OSM. After all, the devices can handle multiple maps, and external memory is (generally) cheap, and in case of doubt, you can always check another map (in the case of the Turkish map comparison, this has saved my probably 200-250 miles driving distance all up).

Master

The problem of the OSM maps is that there is no control in the mapping.

Member +

This is indeed a problem. There aren't really strict standards for everything, plus it depends on the lazyness of the map editor. how accurate the information is. This is quite important for getting routable maps that work. Garmin (Navteq) et all, have certainly a leading edge here.

Master

Well, there are certain standards for a mapping. For example if you take a russian paper topographic map and an austrian one you would see that there is not much of a difference between the two.

Honestly I don't like using OSM. It is full of errors of an imaginary roads, points and polygons. Compared to the Garmin mappings which give a certainty in their data. But at the end you take what you paid for.