Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member +

Guide How to create a Directory in a Write-Protected Drive to send Map Images from MapInstall

Quote Originally Posted by quinol View Post
    I get on with you ..........
    Thus, let me take the opportunity to rememeber to all the guys that want to "offer" their - cutted-off - maps a little summary on "how to" bypass the device using the Mapinstall features (I know that it take a longer time than using mapsource and many wants to do it faster...but....) .
    Simply , using a USB pen drive (4 gb is enough) create a folder named Garmin in it and inside put the Garmindevice.xml file (you'll find into same folder in ur devices) . Just connect to a USB port on ur pc and launch Mapinstall.......don't be afraid if you'll receive a message like "A problem was encountered when try to connect to yuor device...etc etc.." just close it and go ahead . Now choose the tiles you need/prefer and then click on "next". That's it.
    On your pen drive you'll find the cutted-off map .....in less time than using the garmin device .
    And .....you are ready to offer your LOCKED map to the community ......in few minutes .

If you think that could be useless this short "how to" ,I apologize for that ( it is already well treated on other thread)
    Bye, Umbe
    I am just starting to try out MapInstall as opposed MapSource. Could you tell me why it is necessary (or maybe not) to have the GarminDevice.xml file copied into the Garmin folder? I just tried using MapInstall and sent a map (North America 2014.20) to my C: drive. There was no GarminDevice.xml in the Garmin folder. It seemed to work fine. It created a gmapsupp.img in the Garmin folder on my C: drive. Also, any reason why you mention copying to a USB pen drive as opposed to your main C: hard drive?

2.    Advertissements

Master How to create a Directory in a Write-Protected Drive to send Map Images from MapInstall quinol's Avatar

Well,
    I don't know the reason ,,,,really , but usin' the 4.0.3 (last released) version of M.I.....if I launch MI ,it didn''t recognize any unit connected ..but a USB pen (or my device connected, obviously)
    And I have a Garmin folder in my C unit ..... what version you've installed?
    This is an off topic answer , please feel free to trash my post .
    Last edited by quinol; 18th August 2013 at 07:47 PM.

Member +

Quote Originally Posted by quinol View Post
    Well,
    I don't know the reason ,,,,really , but usin' the 4.0.3 (last released) version of M.I.....if I launch MI ,it didn''t recognize any unit connected ..but a USB pen (or my device connected, obviously)
    And I have a Garmin folder in my C unit ..... what version you've installed?
    This is an off topic answer , please feel free to trash my post .
    I installed the 4.0.3 patched version of MapInstall downloaded from the noeman.org site here.

Garmin/GPS Systems GMod. How to create a Directory in a Write-Protected Drive to send Map Images from MapInstall
    How to create a Directory in a Write-Protected Drive to send Map Images from MapInstallHow to create a Directory in a Write-Protected Drive to send Map Images from MapInstallHow to create a Directory in a Write-Protected Drive to send Map Images from MapInstallHow to create a Directory in a Write-Protected Drive to send Map Images from MapInstallHow to create a Directory in a Write-Protected Drive to send Map Images from MapInstallHow to create a Directory in a Write-Protected Drive to send Map Images from MapInstallHow to create a Directory in a Write-Protected Drive to send Map Images from MapInstall

Patched .exe will allow you to send an image to any drive on a PC, including connected media card/usb stick etc. Otherwise, using a garmin unit's GarminDevice.xml in a Garmin folder will create a 'fake nuvi' [a stunt-double] of your your device to send a map to that drive, be it a media card/usb drive, a PC's physical drive partition or even a virtual drive on your PC. That method can also be used with WebUpdater and MapUpdater for safe downloading without risk of bricking a device if something goes wrong. There are interesting threads on this in here, easily found by searching or have a browse in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].
    Last edited by Neil; 18th August 2013 at 11:06 PM.
    'Thanking Posts' are banned. To thank someone, and/or to see hidden links and content, use the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] button below left of the helpful post then refresh your browser [F5 key]. 'Thanking Posts' are banned.
    Please don't spam. Posts serving no purpose other than to thank or to ask about hidden links are trashed or deleted, it's GPSPower's policy. Please don't spam.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] should make their first post as a new Intro Thread in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

Important User How to create a Directory in a Write-Protected Drive to send Map Images from MapInstall
    How to create a Directory in a Write-Protected Drive to send Map Images from MapInstall

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Patched .exe will allow you to send an image to any drive on a PC, including media card/usb stick etc. Otherwise, using a garmin unit's GarminDevice.xml in a Garmin folder will create a 'fake nuvi' .....
    Yes and I agree Only for more infos:
    ....of course for the unit is not write-protected. [I have the "C" and other units as well (security issues)]
    Spoiler: CLICK

149z5sl 71jpme

esvoz7

The A50 is GD.xml in SDcard

Bye,bye

Garmin/GPS Systems GMod. How to create a Directory in a Write-Protected Drive to send Map Images from MapInstall
    How to create a Directory in a Write-Protected Drive to send Map Images from MapInstallHow to create a Directory in a Write-Protected Drive to send Map Images from MapInstallHow to create a Directory in a Write-Protected Drive to send Map Images from MapInstallHow to create a Directory in a Write-Protected Drive to send Map Images from MapInstallHow to create a Directory in a Write-Protected Drive to send Map Images from MapInstallHow to create a Directory in a Write-Protected Drive to send Map Images from MapInstallHow to create a Directory in a Write-Protected Drive to send Map Images from MapInstall

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Yes and I agree Only for more infos:
    ....of course for the unit is not write-protected. [I have the "C" and other units as well (security issues)]
    Sure, kinda goes without saying. I've write-protected my system drives for the same reason, security [can't be too paranoid]. But there's plenty of un-protected drive options so there's never a real need to send to C, D or E in my case. Or just remove the protection and start again if you have to, no big deal really ....
    'Thanking Posts' are banned. To thank someone, and/or to see hidden links and content, use the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] button below left of the helpful post then refresh your browser [F5 key]. 'Thanking Posts' are banned.
    Please don't spam. Posts serving no purpose other than to thank or to ask about hidden links are trashed or deleted, it's GPSPower's policy. Please don't spam.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] should make their first post as a new Intro Thread in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

Kanopus

Or create directory \Garmin with write access rights.

Exactly. I wasn't talking about un-protecting the system drive(s) though, no good reason to do that anyway. I meant with directories, partitions or other drives which may have write-protection enabled such as usb sticks, just remove the protection.

Important User How to create a Directory in a Write-Protected Drive to send Map Images from MapInstall
    How to create a Directory in a Write-Protected Drive to send Map Images from MapInstall

Quote Originally Posted by Kanopus View Post
    Or create directory \Garmin with write access rights.
    Sorry...I tried but not works for me.I think that MI controls the units and not the individual folder (Garmin in this case).

oawsop

This for ALL users permission: Full control

Bye,bye

Kanopus

Access rights can be inherited from parent directory. In this case you have to uncheck it in "Advanced" -> "Change access rights".