Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Important User Software for laptop navigation
    Software for laptop navigationSoftware for laptop navigationSoftware for laptop navigationSoftware for laptop navigationSoftware for laptop navigationSoftware for laptop navigationSoftware for laptop navigation

Our Garmin forum has been crated on spring 2009,nRoute navigation program has been discontinued ,the latest released version is 2.76 of November 2005 and it has been replaced by Garmin Mobile PC, discontinued at the end of 2010.
    Just one user asked for nRoute here
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    l9ebnsm
    You have to navigate to get to the good.

Galaxy S5 Kitkat 4.4.2 / Nuvi1200->1250 / Nuvi3790T->34xx / Nuvi 2200 / Nuvi 66 / Oregon 600

2.    Advertissements

Don't know much about Garmin gps devices, always use devices with nmea output.
    Did you install a driver or other software so the Garmin can interface with your pc?
    If you don't see an extra device/port in the system manager try a different usb port.
    Otherwise I suggest you try GpsGate as an interface between your gps and nRoute.

Quote Originally Posted by catymag View Post
    Our Garmin forum has been crated on spring 2009,nRoute navigation program has been discontinued ,the latest released version is 2.76 of November 2005 and it has been replaced by Garmin Mobile PC, discontinued at the end of 2010.
    Just one user asked for nRoute here
    Yes, followed up on that link, but correct me if I am wrong but that program does not work well with bluechart ?????

Agree with you, nRoute is way out of date and probably is not of interest to forum uses, but, was only following up the original thread. there seems to be only two options, nRoute- if it works !!!! or another option of a very early mapsource - pre 6.5 ???? Don't know which one.

Just thought that if there was some member of the forum who had experience of nRoute would like to pass on their knowledge and expertise it would helpful.

May be the technology of recent hand held gps is not entirely compatible with the 'out of date' nRoute - again I do not know.

All I do know is that my 76cx will talk to nRoute - and hold signal for about one minute and then gps connection is very intermittent - why???

The future of Garmin mapping is now going to bypass laptop navigation and go straight to tablet,(with Garmin map apps), interfacing with gps by bluetooth or their own onboard wireless router.

Would like to say thank you for the pointer Catymag but I'm afraid I canot due to the fact I have already been admonished.
    Last edited by rayb; 27th October 2012 at 02:11 AM. Reason: update

Quote Originally Posted by drammer View Post
    Don't know much about Garmin gps devices, always use devices with nmea output.
    Did you install a driver or other software so the Garmin can interface with your pc?
    If you don't see an extra device/port in the system manager try a different usb port.
    Otherwise I suggest you try GpsGate as an interface between your gps and nRoute.
    All software appears to be ok, 76cx will talk to nRoute but only hold the signal intermittently, tried switching ports, leads laptops etc maybe it is an incompatibility problem.

Will have a look at GpsGate - just maybe a chance it may work if it is only a compatibility issue. or maybe I need a much older gps of 2005 vintage ????? Which may be a cost effective option. I do not know.

Important User Software for laptop navigation
    Software for laptop navigationSoftware for laptop navigationSoftware for laptop navigationSoftware for laptop navigationSoftware for laptop navigationSoftware for laptop navigationSoftware for laptop navigation

Gmaptool splitted Bluecharts .imgs can become inappropriate, read:
    You can use Homeport without an sd too, read:
    New pads or phones have gps chip and compass embedded and their own Navigator applications.
    For the intermittent connection problem I'm afraid you need an external antenna connected if you use it in a hartop boat
    l9ebnsm
    You have to navigate to get to the good.

Galaxy S5 Kitkat 4.4.2 / Nuvi1200->1250 / Nuvi3790T->34xx / Nuvi 2200 / Nuvi 66 / Oregon 600

Member + Software for laptop navigation mullerh's Avatar

I still use nRoute because in my opinion it has some charateristics for long trips which I prefer over Mobile PC. Garmin nRoute also apparently works with the older Bluechart maps.
    There is also another problem with it which I have become recently aware of.
    I use a Garmin 60CSX and the USB output from the GPSr to a laptop with nRoute.
    The 60CSX and a number of other GPS units used the SiRF III chipset. This chipset and the GPS firmware allowed data from GPS to laptop. On the last production runs of the 60CSX Garmin changed to a Mediatek chipset. This new chipset unfortunately "broke" the ability for the 60CSX to comunicate with some software including nRoute. This may be a problem with other more recent GPSrs if they use the Mediatek chipset. On a 60CSX you can tell what chipset you have by the:

Software ver. 4.20 / 4.00
    GPS SW ver. 2.40m / 3.00s

You can get this info from your 60CSX by entering MENU>MENU>SETUP>SYSTEM>MENU. Choose "Software Version".
    After doing some research on the internet I discovered that the new unit with the "m" in the GPS SW ver.utilizes a MediaTek chip while the old unit has a SiRF III chipset designated by the "s".
    That may explain some of the communication problems.

Navigation software expert Software for laptop navigation
    Software for laptop navigationSoftware for laptop navigationSoftware for laptop navigation

GPS SW is not the key point! GPS module is no accessed through other programs. But Software and Hardware play a role! I do not have problem with communication on both types of GPS chipset but I use COM cable.
    Do you check setting for input-output interface on new Garmin 60CSX? May be it is cause?
    Garmin, how much is 30 pieces of silver for Judas today? Were they worthy for crucifix of GPSPower?

Master

I still use Garmin nRoute daily as the main navigation program on my notebook.
    It operates perfectly with any mapset I have thrown at it and I have a lot. BlueCharts, City Navigator, Topo etc.

Garmin MobilePC can not compete.

I do not bother using any of my Garmin GPS units as the input source.
    This combination works perfectly all day long:
    Notebook (Windows XP, 7 and 8 tomorrow (I hope)). + GPSGate + $2 Bluetooth USB dongle + $25 Bluetooth GPS.

Click attachment to enlarge.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by catymag View Post
    Gmaptool splitted Bluecharts .imgs can become inappropriate, read:
    You can use Homeport without an sd too, read:
    New pads or phones have gps chip and compass embedded and their own Navigator applications.
    For the intermittent connection problem I'm afraid you need an external antenna connected if you use it in a hartop boat
    Very interesting, the gmap splitted images are not a problem as on my 2nd laptop only 2008.5 bluecharts are available.

Nroute, as old as it is, is an ideal program for laptop navigation, and in particular as a secondary nautical navigation system if I can get it to work???? If is used in conjunction with Homeport for route planning and full functionality of newer bluechart products.

Maybe I do need an external antenna ???, but as my 76cx is external to receive satellite signal I would have thought that should have worked ???

As mullerh stated in post 26, I feel it more likely that the issue I have is incompatability, but I do not know ????

Seems like there is more than 1 interested in nRoute and I am really pleased with the interest and feedback from you and other forum members.

Quote Originally Posted by mullerh View Post
    I still use nRoute because in my opinion it has some charateristics for long trips which I prefer over Mobile PC. Garmin nRoute also apparently works with the older Bluechart maps.
    There is also another problem with it which I have become recently aware of.
    I use a Garmin 60CSX and the USB output from the GPSr to a laptop with nRoute.
    The 60CSX and a number of other GPS units used the SiRF III chipset. This chipset and the GPS firmware allowed data from GPS to laptop. On the last production runs of the 60CSX Garmin changed to a Mediatek chipset. This new chipset unfortunately "broke" the ability for the 60CSX to comunicate with some software including nRoute. This may be a problem with other more recent GPSrs if they use the Mediatek chipset. On a 60CSX you can tell what chipset you have by the:

Software ver. 4.20 / 4.00
    GPS SW ver. 2.40m / 3.00s

You can get this info from your 60CSX by entering MENU>MENU>SETUP>SYSTEM>MENU. Choose "Software Version".
    After doing some research on the internet I discovered that the new unit with the "m" in the GPS SW ver.utilizes a MediaTek chip while the old unit has a SiRF III chipset designated by the "s".
    That may explain some of the communication problems.
    As the 76cx superceeds the 60csx I would tend to agree with you, it may be an incompatibility issue, after spending hours on the internet it appears that nRoute does have connectability issues but they were not clear as to what gps or os was being used, so no luck there.

Did you actually try a newer 60csx, and did it give the issues I am experiencing?

Great post by the way.