Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Hi,

Has anybody tried .db file on Montana ?
    It does not work for me. I put the SQL folder containing .db file in Garmin folder on my SD. In the same garmin folder, I imported a .gpx file (trail) from Basecamp.
    When I select the trail on my Montana, only trail on topo map is displayed and I have no "Activity" screen with "Change route activity".
    What have I done wrong ?

2.    Advertissements

Important User Garmin TransAlpin 2012 Pro
    Garmin TransAlpin 2012 ProGarmin TransAlpin 2012 ProGarmin TransAlpin 2012 ProGarmin TransAlpin 2012 ProGarmin TransAlpin 2012 ProGarmin TransAlpin 2012 ProGarmin TransAlpin 2012 Pro

Have you updated the firmware to the latest ?
    I tested, map and SQL both in SD in 62 -
    l9ebnsm
    You have to navigate to get to the good.

Galaxy S5 Kitkat 4.4.2 / Nuvi1200->1250 / Nuvi3790T->34xx / Nuvi 2200 / Nuvi 66 / Oregon 600

Can someone please tell me what the SQL is for? I have a Garmin Edge 800. Should I download it too and use it for some reason? Thanks in advance for replying!

p!xeldealer

Read #2 and #6 of this thread, Caty has already answered this questions!

Garmin TransAlpin 2012 ProGarmin TransAlpin 2012 ProGarmin TransAlpin 2012 ProGarmin TransAlpin 2012 ProGarmin TransAlpin 2012 ProGarmin TransAlpin 2012 ProGarmin TransAlpin 2012 Pro

It's for Active routing
    From the page linked above:
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Active routing takes into account your leisure activities for route planning. Simply enter your mode of transportation, and then you have your desired route at a glance. Now you can find your Garmin with the ideal route for hiking, mountain climbing and mountain biking.

These new features are only on Montana, Oregon x50 and Gpsmap 62/78.
    For Dakota, eTrex 20/30, Edge 800 (Firmware update coming soon).
    Screens in post n 6
    As said by p!xeldealer lol ,faster than me
    l9ebnsm

Galaxy S5 Kitkat 4.4.2 / Nuvi1200->1250 / Nuvi3790T->34xx / Nuvi 2200 / Nuvi 66 / Oregon 600

Okay thank you, I thought it was more for something like unlocking the maps! Excuse me for the stupid question

@catymag

Yes I have updated latest Montana firmware (4.10).
    But I tried the SQL file only in simulation mode and was wondering if this new active routing worked in simulation mode.

I download the unlocked image two times but always get the error "TransAlpin2012ProUL.zip: Can not open file as archive". Any advice?

Quote Originally Posted by sergio2 View Post
    @catymag

Yes I have updated latest Montana firmware (4.10).
    But I tried the SQL file only in simulation mode and was wondering if this new active routing worked in simulation mode.
    It works, in 62 I click Find button and it gives Trails in menu, I can choose the Activity ,then the Trail and simulate the chosen route

Quote Originally Posted by euqwf0ad9dv3 View Post
    I download the unlocked image two times but always get the error "TransAlpin2012ProUL.zip: Can not open file as archive". Any advice?
    Use winrar or winzip, right click on the one with .zip exension to unpack
    l9ebnsm

GPSPower Helper Garmin TransAlpin 2012 Pro

Garmin presented a "bad Topo map" to begin with (and I'm not the only one thinking like this).

To be more specific:
    -Garmin took good old topo maps and removed red color from Trail(wide), Trail and Trail(difficult). Now they are all Dark Gray.
    -Now Trail(wide) is Trail and Trail is Path.
    -Garmin removed Trail(difficult) and made it Path too.
    -Garmin removed hundreds of POIs, like Hotels, Gas Stations, Bank-ATMs.
    (searching for ATM in the center of Innsbruck, the closest was only ....50 Km away)
    -The "Red marked" Trails are few and only the famous ones (and only in the pedestrian activities).
    -Hiking and Mountaineering activities produce the same routing, both on device and Basecamp
    In Basecamp it always produce the Shortest route (Locked featured) and even if you are next to a "red marked" trail it dosen't necessary use it.
    -Not so many Bicycle routes, so when you are somewhere with no Bicycle routes, it's like the old Topos.
    -Not showing Street names both on device and Βasecamp, although they exist in the .IMG (move the cursor over a street and you 'll see the name)
    -Most of the lines in the TYP file are thin Bitmaps and are almost invisible on Nuvis with High Def screens like 37xx, 34xx and 35xx.
    So the map is almost useless on those devices and you cannot ckeck both CNENT and Transalpin at the same time (new ban that Garmin has implemented in the new firmwares).
    -On older "on the trail" devices, with no SQL support, the trails are hard to spot with no color like previous Topos.
    Here are some screens for comparison with Topo Osterreich v2 (above) and Transalpin 2012 Pro (below).
    Look at the lack of detail of new map (and the lack of POIs) at the same zoom levels that v2 shows almost everything.
    mtb009

Two good features I 've found:
    -Active routing that works most of the times, but if you are planning a "tough" (and not the Shortest) route on the mountain, you 'll need more waypoints than Start and Destination.
    -The addition of Bicycle "tracks" (can't call them trails or routes) which are dotted lines that go along roads, dirt-roads and trails.
    In Mountain Biking they turn purple, but in all other activities are dark grey and hard to spot.
    I think that would be easier for Garmin to put this feature in the .db file (like the "red marked" trails) than to draw them in the .IMG file.
    Changes and additions are easier with the .db file, at least I think so.

The idea of using SQL is very nice but a lot of work has to be done by Garmin, so that the map is easily readable on the screen like the older Topos were.
    Is this a new ...potato for Garmin (after firmware 6.40 recall)?
    I really don't get it. Topo maps and "on the Trail" devices are for people who really know how to use both map and device.
    Probably most of them have an older Topo map on their devices.
    How are they going to accept something so less.
    "Active routing" planning is for just the newbies, because if you want to go hiking or biking in a place you don't really know, first you are going to search the web for existing tracks (and there are thousands) to download, import them in Basecamp, check and plan what you want.
    I don't think that anybody who "invested" in a device like 60csx, Oregon, 62/78 or Montana, parks his car by the woods, turns on the GPS and says: "Find me a trail to hike, or bike". At least that's NOT what I do.