Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Important User Voice Command support is not available for American English" Problem ?
    Voice Command support is not available for American English" Problem ?Voice Command support is not available for American English" Problem ?Voice Command support is not available for American English" Problem ?Voice Command support is not available for American English" Problem ?Voice Command support is not available for American English" Problem ?Voice Command support is not available for American English" Problem ?Voice Command support is not available for American English" Problem ?

Default Voice Command support is not available for American English" Problem ?

"Voice Command support is not available for American English" Problem ?

Here a reply from Garmin support : source gpsreview.net (IMPORTANT: Read the updated article in the code box below and also the additional info in blue print at the base of this post).

> Thank you for contacting Garmin International. When attempting to use
    > the voice command feature on your nuvi, you may see a message that
    > indicates that it is unavailable for your chosen language (e.g., "Voice
    > Command support is not available for American English"). This can be
    > caused by either a missing file or an incorrect map region.
    >
    > To restore the speech recognition file:
    >
    > 1. Follow the steps listed in the article linked here to download
    Code:
    Please Login or Register to see the links
    > install and run the WebUpdater
    > 2. Click Next to check for additional updates when prompted
    > 3. Place a check mark next to "Speech Recognition Data" for the language
    > of choice (e.g., American English, British English, etc...)
    > 4. Click Next
    > 5. Agree to the terms and click Next
    > 6. Click Finish when the download is complete
    > 7. Safely eject your device then unplug it from the computer
    >
    > You will now be able to successfully use the voice command feature on
    > your nuvi.
    >
    > If you do not have the option to update "Speech Recognition Data" for
    > your language, or if installing this file does not resolve the problem,
    > you may have loaded only a region of mapping to your device during a map
    > update. Please run the map update again and choose full coverage for
    > your continent. For example, if your device was preloaded with Europe,
    > you'll need to install Full Coverage of Europe.
    >
    > North American devices are the only exceptions. For North American
    > devices, you may load either Full Coverage of North America or US &
    > Canada. However, other smaller regions will NOT work with voice command.

Please fully read the linked article which has been updated since this advice was given to a user by Garmin support. It now refers to GarminExpress not WebUpdater (which is still generally usable but is depreciated) and states this additionally in regard to VC capable North American models:
    • Voice Command is used in a region which was not preloaded on the device
    • For example: a North American device is preloaded with mapping of North America. European mapping can be added and used with this device, but Voice Command will only function with the North American mapping.
    That's not strictly correct however. Provided you can source the appropriate ASR files for the non-OEM "Out of Area" mapping you can use VC with any capable device other than for your OEM region's mapping. What Garmin is stating is that if you purchase an out-of-area map from them (e.g. you buy an EU map for a US regionalized device) they do not supply the additional ASR files. In fact they don't supply JCV (JunctionView) files or any other ancillary files either, only the map file itself. These files won't be supplied by GE or WU in that situation but can be added manually to the device or media card when sourced elsewhere. Note that any SRD language files must remain on the devices internal memory however.
    Last edited by Neil; 7th October 2013 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Change link to updated Garmin article [GE now mentioned in it rather than WU].
    l9ebnsm
    You have to navigate to get to the good.

Galaxy S5 Kitkat 4.4.2 / Nuvi1200->1250 / Nuvi3790T->34xx / Nuvi 2200 / Nuvi 66 / Oregon 600

2.    Advertissements

Master Voice Command support is not available for American English" Problem ?Voice Command support is not available for American English" Problem ? Superduper67's Avatar

North American devices are the only exceptions. For North American devices, you may load either Full Coverage of North America or US & Canada. However, other smaller regions will NOT work with voice command.
    That's interesting... My nuvi 855 has voice commands and the size of the new maps (and JCV) is requiring either using a smaller coverage map (lower 48 states) or using the smallest JCV file or adding an SD card (for biggest JCV). I never thought that the smaller maps will cancel a feature of the device, that is... sneaky (to put it nice).

Master

Think the reply from garmin support seems correct. AFAIK the Voice Recognition feature is not only in a separate .asr file (do not depend only on it) but also it is a part of the mapping. For example you can't use V.Rec. with third party maps but only with those createn by garmin like CNE, CNNA etc. Third party maps don't have enough info in them for V.Rec.

@ Superduper67

You can always put half of the map in the unit and the other on an SD card but yes it is..."sneaky" in way.
    Last edited by ddabcd277; 30th December 2011 at 09:30 PM.

Master Voice Command support is not available for American English" Problem ?Voice Command support is not available for American English" Problem ? Superduper67's Avatar

Voice recognition has nothing to do with the map. It just "presses" the selections on the device, instead of using my finger.
    I say "MENU" it goes to menu. I say "BACK" presses the back arrow. I say "HOME" it presses the "go home" button. When I speak a street name and will convert my spelling into a text input. And so on...

Master

You have 855? One of the Linux nuvis? It is a rare and a very nice model.

Try search ing address, city, country in a custom map not in CNNA. For example with a map from gpsfiledepot. Or as garmin support wrote in a "smaller region" not in the full map and see it yourself. Yes, the main functions will work but searching address, city, intersection etc no.

Edited...

Cheers,
    Last edited by ddabcd277; 31st December 2011 at 04:08 AM.

I don't argue that searching might not work. But why should the voice recognition be connected to the map? It's just another interface input.

PS: nuvi 855 is linux based (software ver 4.70)? It has a different look, but then the 765T and the 1390T are different also...

I have installed the Australia 2013.20 maps and can't get voice commands to work. I have tried both ASR versions but both will not work. I have a 2495. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Garmin/GPS Systems GMod. Voice Command support is not available for American English" Problem ?
    Voice Command support is not available for American English" Problem ?Voice Command support is not available for American English" Problem ?Voice Command support is not available for American English" Problem ?Voice Command support is not available for American English" Problem ?Voice Command support is not available for American English" Problem ?Voice Command support is not available for American English" Problem ?Voice Command support is not available for American English" Problem ?

@rookie1
    If you're sure you've got the correct ASR files for your 2495 (you haven't said what or where from, it helps to know), then try changing your text and keyboard languages.
    'Thanking Posts' are banned. To thank someone, and/or to see hidden links and content, use the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] button below left of the helpful post then refresh your browser [F5 key]. 'Thanking Posts' are banned.
    Please don't spam. Posts serving no purpose other than to thank or to ask about hidden links are trashed or deleted, it's GPSPower's policy. Please don't spam.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] should make their first post as a new Intro Thread in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

Hi Neil

I bought it in South Africa and then moved to Australia. The voice command worked perfectly there. I have tried changing between American and British english for both keyboard, text and voice but with no luck. I don't have an Australian english on my GPS so I can't try that one. The ASR files I copied were part of the forum postings.

GPSPower Helper Voice Command support is not available for American English" Problem ?
    Voice Command support is not available for American English" Problem ?

@ rookie1
    Howzit, There is no Australian English, Australia uses British English Text and Keyboard.
    Have you tried hard reset to make the nuvi regionally Australian. ?
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
    Albert Einstein.