Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast
    Important User About Garmin maps Additions files (gmap3d-JCV-gmaptz-ASR-G2S)
    About Garmin maps Additions files (gmap3d-JCV-gmaptz-ASR-G2S)About Garmin maps Additions files (gmap3d-JCV-gmaptz-ASR-G2S)About Garmin maps Additions files (gmap3d-JCV-gmaptz-ASR-G2S)About Garmin maps Additions files (gmap3d-JCV-gmaptz-ASR-G2S)About Garmin maps Additions files (gmap3d-JCV-gmaptz-ASR-G2S)About Garmin maps Additions files (gmap3d-JCV-gmaptz-ASR-G2S)About Garmin maps Additions files (gmap3d-JCV-gmaptz-ASR-G2S)

pin About Garmin maps Additions files (gmap3d-JCV-gmaptz-ASR-G2S)

About Garmin maps Additions files (gmap3d-JCV-gmaptz-ASR-G2S)

3D buildings (gmap3d.img)

qRuPe

This post requires you to click the "LIKE this post" button and hit F5 to read this content.

More infos about your units specs and compatibilities
    Code:
    Please Login or Register to see the links

Sawage's pdf attached for offline reading

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

For newer nuvi series (3xxx) sd paths read also this thread
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by catymag; 14th January 2015 at 04:31 PM. Reason: added Foursquare files info

2.    Advertissements

Navigation software expert About Garmin maps Additions files (gmap3d-JCV-gmaptz-ASR-G2S)
    About Garmin maps Additions files (gmap3d-JCV-gmaptz-ASR-G2S)About Garmin maps Additions files (gmap3d-JCV-gmaptz-ASR-G2S)

In addition
    Possible Filenames for 3D Building are gmap3d.img and gmap3d1.img.
    You can rename a map also to gmap3d.img and gmap3d1.img if you don't need 3D Buildings, so u have 2 additional map possibilities on your device.
    This works only with Nuvi which has the capability to display 3D Buildings
    These are the Nuvi 7x5 series and the 3790T

WknThDg

Great info.!!!!
    Based on this, I made another discovery!
    If not using gmap3d.img and gmap3d1.img on the device, you can instead use those filenames for other map img files in the "Garmin" directory of an SD card!!!
    I can now can have 3 map .img files always available on my SD card (gmapsupp.img, gmap3d.img and gmap3d1.img).
    You can use MapSource Special to create & transfer gmapsupp.img files directly to the SD card that contain several maps (each img file just less than the 4gb limit).
    After the first transfer completes, rename it to gmap3d.img.
    After the second transfer completes, rename it to gmap3d1.img.
    After the last gmapsupp.img transfer completes, move all the created map img files to the "Garmin" directory of the SD card.
    If you have a 16gb SD card, the result can be that you have almost 12gb of additional maps always available for the device to choose from.

Tested on my nuvi 775T.

Great Info, thank you !!!
    Please go on, and please explain me where to put D1398040A.md2 that come together with CN EU 2011.10 -
    In an Oregon 550, I put it in [SD CARD]\Garmin, together with CN EU_2011_10.img, but I can't understand if it works: in [UNIT]\Garmin I have gmapbmap.img and gmapbmap.sum; if I enable terrain shading, I can see it, but if I rename gmapbmap.sum I can't see terrain shading any more, so to me D1398040A.md2 does not work or is not into the right place.
    Thank you

----------------

Sorry, errata "but if I rename gmapbmap.sum"
    corrige "but if I rename gmapbmap.img"
    Thank you
    Last edited by usitaly; 31st December 2010 at 01:38 PM. Reason: post consecutive

Navigation software expert About Garmin maps Additions files (gmap3d-JCV-gmaptz-ASR-G2S)
    About Garmin maps Additions files (gmap3d-JCV-gmaptz-ASR-G2S)About Garmin maps Additions files (gmap3d-JCV-gmaptz-ASR-G2S)

This would be amazing. Have to test this also, use the 765
    Quote Originally Posted by Danilone19 View Post
    Sorry, errata "but if I rename gmapbmap.sum"
    corrige "but if I rename gmapbmap.img"
    Thank you
    The terrain shading u see is propably from the DEM Basemap, not fro the MD2 file.
    MD2 files are normally placed in Garmin\MD2

VIP Master About Garmin maps Additions files (gmap3d-JCV-gmaptz-ASR-G2S)

Catymag, I know that you've asked to avoid Thank You posts - but this being the clearest tutorial on the subject ever, I could not resist... ThankYou!

ali87sa

Great info!

Got me a bit confused though, I have a Nuvi 3790T with built in North America maps, and I plan to install the 2011 Europe and 2011 Middle East maps, but I see some people around the forum saying that maps have 2 versions, a MapSource version and a regular version, according to some posts, the regular version will lose the map preview and some search/index capabilities, how true is this?

Since I'll be using the JCV and 3D files, does the latest MapSource support Lane Assist and Junction View files? Or am I going to have to move those manually to the device?

One last thing, after looking through my device, the following files "gmapbmap, gmapdem, gmaptz, gmapprom, gmap3d, gmap3d.sum, gmapbmap.sum, gmapdem.sum, gmaptz.sum, gmapprom.sum" are located in a hidden folder "F:\.System". I assume that in the case I use Map Source to install the maps, it will take care of putting them in the right location, but what if I had to move the maps manually, should I put them in the same hidden folder "F:\.System" or should I just go with the Garmin folder? Please let me know if I'll be losing the Map Preview and Searching if I move an unlocked map manually.

Thanks a lot in advance, really appreciate the help I'm getting.

Global Moderator About Garmin maps Additions files (gmap3d-JCV-gmaptz-ASR-G2S)

There could be two MapSource versions:
    1. original MapSource (complete and nothing is lost) and
    2. generated with Gmaptool program from gmapsupp.img (or gmapprom.img) which is not good for transfering again to device because some search functions are lost, mostly this versions are installed by copying files to some folder and running "install.bat"

You should move JCV and 3D files manually

On your device maps should be only in hidden system folder on device) and in map folder (on device and on SD card)

It is better that you don't use MapSource program for transferring directly to device, because it could overwrite your existing map.

Use patched version of MapSource to transfer to your HDD, rename file, and than copy to device

In system folder you should have gmapprom.img and/or gmapoem.img (could not be unselected) and in map folder gmapsupp.img or any other name (xxxxx.img)

As I can see from your post, you are using Windows Explorer (I hate this program), and option "Hide known file extensions" activated, so you COULD NOT see actual file extensions
    TURN THIS option OFF

Do not touch those *.sum and other files, and backup your device to PC before doing anything (copy all content to some folder)
    NO THANKS POSTS ALLOWED, NO LIKES NEEDED, ALL MIRRORS APPRECIATED
    MB Moon night sky
    Please read: >[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]<, >[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]< and >[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]<
    Password for all my uploads (if needed): gpspower.net

VIP Master About Garmin maps Additions files (gmap3d-JCV-gmaptz-ASR-G2S)
    About Garmin maps Additions files (gmap3d-JCV-gmaptz-ASR-G2S)About Garmin maps Additions files (gmap3d-JCV-gmaptz-ASR-G2S)About Garmin maps Additions files (gmap3d-JCV-gmaptz-ASR-G2S)

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blues View Post
    Do not touch those *.sum files
    I have been told that those "sum" files are merely checksum files and can be deleted without any ill effects.

If not, what do they do ?
    Last edited by timp4411; 12th July 2010 at 03:29 PM.

Important User About Garmin maps Additions files (gmap3d-JCV-gmaptz-ASR-G2S)
    About Garmin maps Additions files (gmap3d-JCV-gmaptz-ASR-G2S)About Garmin maps Additions files (gmap3d-JCV-gmaptz-ASR-G2S)About Garmin maps Additions files (gmap3d-JCV-gmaptz-ASR-G2S)About Garmin maps Additions files (gmap3d-JCV-gmaptz-ASR-G2S)About Garmin maps Additions files (gmap3d-JCV-gmaptz-ASR-G2S)About Garmin maps Additions files (gmap3d-JCV-gmaptz-ASR-G2S)About Garmin maps Additions files (gmap3d-JCV-gmaptz-ASR-G2S)

you'r right, they are checksum and can be deleted. you can go to diagnostic menu and make nuvi recalculate it again. it will create new *.sum files.
    l9ebnsm
    You have to navigate to get to the good.

Galaxy S5 Kitkat 4.4.2 / Nuvi1200->1250 / Nuvi3790T->34xx / Nuvi 2200 / Nuvi 66 / Oregon 600