Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member +

topo Garmin Trail maps, most of the USA

Garmin Trail maps, most of the USA

this is a transparent mapset (thousands of trails)---you can select it and north america 2010.30 or a topo map ---both at the same time and you will see thousands of bright red lines--on top of your main map---those lines are the trails---

if you have n.a.2010.30 and trails both enabled and you scan to the end of a red line (trail) and push your finger there & press go --your gps will autoroute you to the trail head----as you walk the trail you will see the image of a car moving on the red line----its nose indicating your direction..if the image of your car leaves the red line-walk back to the trail--lol

copy to a garmin directory--
    trail usa GMapsupp .rar (17,8 MB)
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    mirror
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    =======================================
    Map Coverage:
    North: 49.2°
    West: -124.8°East: -66.8°
    South: 25.2°
    State's: Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, Washington D.C., West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by catymag; 20th May 2011 at 09:18 AM. Reason: link replaced

2.    Advertissements

drz_phil

So I downloaded this gmapsupp.img file. If I want to use it in my Garmin 60CSx by itself, I can just transfer this file into the Garmin folder on the memory card and I will see the trails. I did this btw and it works fine. I can see the red trail segments. Of course, on a 60CSx, the basemap is pretty sparse, so there is usually nothing but the trail segments visible.

So how do I use it with the City Nav NA v2010.2 map that is already installed and also named gmapsupp.img? Is there a naming convention for when there are more than one?

Thanks!
    Last edited by drz_phil; 23rd March 2010 at 08:13 PM.

Important User Garmin Trail maps, most of the USA
    Garmin Trail maps, most of the USAGarmin Trail maps, most of the USAGarmin Trail maps, most of the USAGarmin Trail maps, most of the USAGarmin Trail maps, most of the USAGarmin Trail maps, most of the USAGarmin Trail maps, most of the USA

rename it gmapsup2.img
    l9ebnsm
    You have to navigate to get to the good.

Galaxy S5 Kitkat 4.4.2 / Nuvi1200->1250 / Nuvi3790T->34xx / Nuvi 2200 / Nuvi 66 / Oregon 600

drz_phil

Default No joy with 60CSx, works with a StreetPilot 2730

Quote Originally Posted by catymag View Post
    rename it gmapsup2.img
    No joy. I renamed it to gmapsup2.img and transferred it. Now the Garmin folder has two .img files - gmapsupp.img and gmapsup2.img. I think that's what you meant me to do. Alas, it does not show up on my 60CSx in the list of maps to Show/Hide.

If I name it gmapsupp.img (replacing the original file) then it shows as 'trail 100' and is visible, but I don't see how to make it show with City Nav.

OTOH, I left it named gmapsupp.img and put it in the Garmin folder of my StreetPilot 2730 and Voila!, there it is! On this gps, the built-in map is City Nav NA v2010.20 and is named gmapprom.img, so there is no conflict in names.

Unfortunately, the 2730 is hardly the gps of choice for off-roading 4WD trails!

More experimenting is needed for the gps units that do not have a built-in map, like my 60CSx. I will check to make sure my firmware is the most current.

Thanks!

Garmin Trail maps, most of the USAGarmin Trail maps, most of the USAGarmin Trail maps, most of the USAGarmin Trail maps, most of the USAGarmin Trail maps, most of the USAGarmin Trail maps, most of the USAGarmin Trail maps, most of the USA

found on web:
    Using Multiple Maps on the Garmin 60CSX
    Say you have a map of Australia and a map of New Zealand. Can you upload the files separately to the 60CSX and give them different names, as on some Garmin units, such as gmapsupp.img, gmapsup2.img, etc? The answer is no. Am I sure? Yes. So does that mean no? Yes, it's a "no". Forget it. Sorry everyone, the 60CSX can only use one "img" file at a time. Thank you Garmin. You'd imagine that this would be a simple thing to fix in firmware upgrades. My feeling: it is, they just don't want to do it.

so use gmaptool and join 2 unlocked imgs
    Upload the new img file to your unit. Rename it gmapsupp.img. It should work!
    l9ebnsm

Galaxy S5 Kitkat 4.4.2 / Nuvi1200->1250 / Nuvi3790T->34xx / Nuvi 2200 / Nuvi 66 / Oregon 600

drz_phil

found on web:
    Using Multiple Maps on the Garmin 60CSX
    Say you have a map of Australia and a map of New Zealand. Can you upload the files separately to the 60CSX and give them different names, as on some Garmin units, such as gmapsupp.img, gmapsup2.img, etc? The answer is no. Am I sure? Yes. So does that mean no? Yes, it's a "no". Forget it. Sorry everyone, the 60CSX can only use one "img" file at a time. Thank you Garmin. You'd imagine that this would be a simple thing to fix in firmware upgrades. My feeling: it is, they just don't want to do it.
    Thanks. I found that link and it is an interesting page on the 60CSx. Lots of info there although some of it is a bit misleading. I suspect this 'only one img file' feature is not limited to the 60x models, but also applies to the 76x models and probably a few others as well. Good to know. Given that memory cards are so cheap these days, it might be just as fast to load one img file to a card and switch cards. Certainly faster than hooking up a laptop and all the related cables.

so use gmaptool and join 2 unlocked imgs
    Upload the new img file to your unit. Rename it gmapsupp.img. It should work!
    I'm sure it would. I have only used gmaptool a couple of times and there is a newer version now available than I have. Time to get updated!

I think I will take the trails gmapsupp.img file and try and convert it for use in MapSource. That will make it the most flexible and usable with all my other off-road and back country maps.

Thanks again for the pointers!

visit
    Code:
    Please Login or Register to see the links
    may be you can find there trails maps mapsource versions
    l9ebnsm

Kanopus

Quote Originally Posted by drz_phil View Post
    I suspect this 'only one img file' feature is not limited to the 60x models, but also applies to the 76x models and probably a few others as well. Good to know. Given that memory cards are so cheap these days, it might be just as fast to load one img file to a card and switch cards.
    Yes limits apply to all older Garmin outdor GPS. Only newer like Colorado, Oregon, Dakota support multiple img.
    Cards are cheap, you can use 4GB SDHC in your 60CSx and put a lot of maps in a single gmapsupp.img.
    One advice: use "menu" button, when traying to select/deselect whole map

drz_phil

visit gpsfiledepot.com - may be you can find there trails maps mapsource versions
    Good call.
    Code:
    Please Login or Register to see the links
    This links to an exe file that scans clean and installs a MapSource compatible map on your PC. It was created using older USGS map data and appears to be offset from any current Garmin map data. Useful for general planning but not much else, I think.

Thanks!
    Last edited by catymag; 24th March 2010 at 02:57 PM. Reason: coded link-

drz_phil

Well, this trail map is full of surprises.

I installed it in my StreetPilot 2730 as gmapsupp.img. I can see the trails and that map is indeed transparent, so my City Nav is visible underneath.

But it completely screws up the Find function. Trying to find almost anything fails, even places you know it knows about. The screens act oddly, menus pop past you with no delay or warning and only a limited number of choices are available. Very odd. I disabled that map, leaving only City Nav enabled. Same results. I then removed the .img file, rebooted and things returned to normal.

Not recommended.