Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Member + Help Speedcams SpainHelp Speedcams SpainHelp Speedcams Spain bruxco's Avatar

Ok, I'll do it like that.

Thanks

2.    Advertissements

Important User Help Speedcams Spain
    Help Speedcams SpainHelp Speedcams SpainHelp Speedcams SpainHelp Speedcams Spain

I use InkScape that have saving to optimized SVG capability, here is how I do it
    Spoiler: .

This post requires you to click the "LIKE this post" button and hit F5 to read this content.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    • This post requires you to click the "LIKE this post" button to see Attachments.
    Last edited by osiris4isis; 9th February 2018 at 01:17 AM.
    Do not PM me with questions. That's what a forum is for.

Member + Help Speedcams SpainHelp Speedcams SpainHelp Speedcams Spain bruxco's Avatar

Thank you very much @osiris4isis,

Next time I will do it like that, the problem is that I am starting from an image that is already big in its beginning and as much as I want to reduce its size it is not reduced to the size of the originals.

It's a pleasure that there are people like you.
    Last edited by bruxco; 9th February 2018 at 10:24 AM.

Help Speedcams SpainHelp Speedcams SpainHelp Speedcams SpainHelp Speedcams Spain

SVG format is tricky. On one hand, it's vector so it's scalable; on the other hand, it's not compressed so it can be larger than raster. Also the way you create the vectors mattered, as there can be a lot of bloated objects or commands associated with it. Keep it simple and it will be ok. Also try to flatten any transformations so it will be faster to displayed.

To have SVG images with the weight of a few kb you should completely create this image with Illustrator, but it's a very complicated thing, or use an image already in svg downloaded from the sites.

When I started to "play" with the file speedcam.zip I also tried Inkscape, but the quality is very bad and I think it do not save the svg files in the correct way for iGO.
    The first real tests I did with Illustrator CC 2015, but the files were blocking the navigator, oddly it does not save the files in the correct way for iGO but I lost a month to understand it.
    I switched to Illustrator CS6 and I was able to convert the normal images bmp, png, jpg to SVG, but more than the starting images are detailed and with many nuances, and the more the file becomes "heavy".
    By default, Illustrator saves files with the decimal factor 3, (the greater the number, the higher the quality, and vice versa), you can try to save with 2 or with 1, but you have to see the icons maintain a satisfying quality.
    Some of my speedcam.zip files are also 10 Mb, but luckily they work without problems .......

I have used images already created in .png format and I have merged them, that is why a file is so big and I have saved it with decimal 1, even so, it's bigger than normal but the important thing is that it works!

Thank you all for your help and advice
    Last edited by bruxco; 9th February 2018 at 02:00 PM.

Not a good idea with decimal 1.

I know it is not the best but if I put 3, it would be too big and at least it works.

If you open the file saved with 1, and also open the one saved with 3, if you enlarge the view you see the differences. A lot depends on the device you use, with a Full HD device you notice little, but those who use a QHD device will notice them well.
    Because you do it for yourself, everything you do is all right......
    Welcome to the Club, we are just a few to customize the speedcam.zip file as we like it......

Considering if you're going to use it ONLY on full HD, then acceptable. But since when modding .svg is only for full HD devices? You must also consider the lowest resolution devices and that is 320x240, in which 1 decimal will be significantly impacted*. Just my opinion.
    If you don't see much size reduction, it's "other things" you should be looking at such as redundant paths or gradient optimization.
    BTW, I find the ideal of using vector for small icons silly. Vector is used mainly because they do not want to waste space (storing different resolution sets) and time (converting to different bitmaps). You can easily change code to use one set of .spr (sprite) for speedcam icons. Put it under nodpi and have proggy do the scaling automatically.

* when dealing with significant decimal digits, do not assumed that your measurement will always be in resolution (ie: dpi) It can be any decimal number that can get transformed. So unless transformation is flatten (or not used), it's not wise to use low decimal digits.

Update: Here is some of my tips on optimization (keep checking back for any new tips added later)
    Spoiler: .

This post requires you to click the "LIKE this post" button and hit F5 to read this content.
    Last edited by osiris4isis; 11th February 2018 at 09:00 PM.