Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Very slow start up of nüvi 265WT

I bought a nüvi 2xxW off eBay, which was advertised as stuck in a perpetual start up cycle. On arrival, I confirmed the defect (software missing). See video clip:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Since the ID placard at the lower side of the device was missing, there was no way yet of telling the exact model. I managed to get the device in pre-boot mode and use g7towin64 to extract the unit-ID, device model, FW version and HWID. It turned out to be a nüvi 265WT, HWID 0827.

Getting the device back into pre-boot mode and using GarminCure3.exe and Updater.exe (thanks, kunix!), I was able to flash original FW into the device. It then was able to start up normally. Although... it takes 50 seconds of staring at the Garmin splash screen before it shows "Loading Maps...". After a total of 65 seconds, the unit is fully up and running. Functionality and response time from that moment on are normal.

I restored the device to factory default, but the 65 second start up time did not get any shorter. The same time delay is experienced when connecting the unit as a mass storage device to the computer.

Besides the steps already taken, any suggestions as how to speed up the start up process? Thanks!

Edit:
    The software on the device has already been updated with WebUpdater. GarminExpress does not offer any further other updates.
    Last edited by SanFrancisco; 14th October 2017 at 06:41 PM.

2.    Advertissements

Navigation software expert

Check GPX folder for any files which are not matching current.gpx name.
    Delete or rename extension for any img and gpi files.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzzly View Post
    Check GPX folder for any files which are not matching current.gpx name.
    Thanks for your response. The X:\Garmin\GPX folder only contains an empty Archive folder and a Current.gpx file.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzzly View Post
    Delete or rename extension for any img and gpi files.
    The X:\Garmin\Poi folder is empty.

Edit:
    I renamed gmaptz.img and gmapbmap.img to *.bak.
    The (only!) detailed map is located on an SD card, which I removed from the device.
    No difference in start up time.
    Last edited by SanFrancisco; 15th October 2017 at 11:02 AM.

Important User

Series 2 nuvi devices should boot up in about 10-15 seconds. Some devices will perform better if there is a detail map on the device, even a tiny one. Just a few tiles of an OSM not already covered by your SD's map might be enough to get it to boot faster.

Important User

Try checking for any bad memory blocks in diagnostic screen (press battery icon for more than 8 secs)
    Do not PM me with questions. That's what a forum is for.

Sorry for the delay in my response. Other priorities popped up.

Quote Originally Posted by Butters View Post
    Series 2 nuvi devices should boot up in about 10-15 seconds. Some devices will perform better if there is a detail map on the device, even a tiny one. Just a few tiles of an OSM not already covered by your SD's map might be enough to get it to boot faster.
    Placed a 5 kb size unlocked detailed map on the device. Made no difference. Also not when removing the SD card containing the other detailed map.

Quote Originally Posted by osiris4isis View Post
    Try checking for any bad memory blocks in diagnostic screen (press battery icon for more than 8 secs)
    zKh04Cr

It appears RAM and ROM are both fine.

I am inclined to think the data in a particular rgn may be corrupt. After all, it takes 50 seconds until map data is being loaded. What is the device doing all that time? Probably reading rgn's. As mentioned, once the device is up and running, its operation is without any flaws or delays.

Important User

Well, it certainly loads the firmware properly, eventually anyway. I don't know enough about the complete boot process to comment further sorry.

Important User

Hmmm, timeout waiting for something?

Important User

Certainly, but my point was that it indeed boots fully, i.e. it loads firmware then works properly, therefore whatever is holding it up isn't something essential for proper operation or enough to stall or reset the boot. So what's it trying to read/load that's causing the long boot? Not firmware, not maps for sure. Also a corrupt GPI or VPM etc. file should freeze it on loading.

You can't do an easy 'clear NV' in 2x5W devices, other than with a deep firmware downgrade and if it's got a late board version it's quite possible to brick it with a white screen going beyond a certain version.

Important User

There is a field in .rgn that's called "delay." For some .rgn it's set to 0 while others it's not. I have no idea what it's used for. But if I have to guess, it might be a wait time for some area of firmware to get loaded (perhaps unit has slow memory or i/o ports are synching) Who knows, so the question is this. Does one 265WT "behaved" differently from another unit with same hardware AND firmware? Considered the following scenario, the unit was repaired via replacing some bad memory using component that's not up to par with the specs.
    Last edited by osiris4isis; 20th October 2017 at 10:07 PM.