Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Splash the same!
    Last edited by shtyrman; 14th August 2017 at 01:08 PM.

2.    Advertissements

Any chance to ask you to help me and combine these firmwares! I think, that i'm little bit stupid in firmwares creation!

Important User Garmin Zumo 660  in Aera 550
    Garmin Zumo 660  in Aera 550Garmin Zumo 660  in Aera 550

It may not be you having difficulty combining the firmware. RGN_Tool is a little confused by the additional regions in the aera firmware. Leave it with me for a short while, I'll make it in another way for you. Be patient as I have some other more pressing matters to attend to at present.

Quote Originally Posted by Butters View Post
    It may not be you having difficulty combining the firmware. RGN_Tool is a little confused by the additional regions in the aera firmware. Leave it with me for a short while, I'll make it in another way for you. Be patient as I have some other more pressing matters to attend to at present.
    I will be grateful if you do this for me. And i olso was confused when i have seen 3 unknown sectors in aera's gcd! Aera's firmware used by few models of Aera
    devices : 500, 510, 550 and 560 ! One gcd for all these models and i dont know how the device choosing it ! Aera has 2 firmware : auto and avia, and device reloads each time when i change the mode, so aviation mode is more important for me!

All aera 5x0 are basically the same device and that's why there's only one firmware for all of them.

Let's just check some things before I go to the trouble of making a combined firmware for you. As you'd already seen, aera has 4 additional firmware regions used over zumo. I want to see if the additional regions populated by the aera firmware are also available on the zumo in it's current configuration. Both have unit software fw_all in the standard rgn 14 (hex 0x0E) of course, but due to their dual-purpose as aviation and automotive devices, aera devices have a second unit software fw_all2 in rgn 85 (hex 0x55) along with 3 other components, which RGN_Tool doesn't specifically identify naming all as 'unknown', in rgns 253, 254 and 250 (hex 0xFD; 0xFE; 0xFA). So first let's see if we can dump those additional regions 253, 254 and 250 from the zumo. There are usually 255 possible regions in Garmin devices so those additional components are right at the end. We may as well backup it's nonvol region 41 while we're at it, it's handy to have that anyway. Look behind the spoiler for a guide:
    Spoiler:
    • Obtain a clean SD card and unzip Garmin.zip directly to it: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    • Ensure the zumo is fully OFF, insert the card and turn it back on. If battery is low connect it to a power source which will power it up.
    • 'Loader' will show on the screen for a short while, don't turn it off while that's happening but wait until it reboots fully.

Remove the card and look at it, hopefully there will be be 5 files in the root alongside the Garmin folder: 41.bin; 85.bin; 150.bin; 153.bin and 154.bin. Also in the 0924 folder there will be a file "update.log". Copy the 41.bin file to a safe place and keep it for as long as you have the zumo. Compress the other 4 bin files (or whatever is there) along with a copy of update.log to a zip or rar file and upload it please. Don't include 41.bin because that contains private info and codes.
    Last edited by Butters; 15th August 2017 at 01:51 AM. Reason: replaced SD pack.

Ok. I've already made it![Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

All those regions 55, 250, 253 and 254 are available on the zumo. Hopefully they are big enough to take the bin files from the aero's firmware. I've made a composite aera RGN with the boot.bin from zumo and the HWID retained as 924. This is still a time where you can back out and there'll be no hard feelings. From here on you're in uncharted territory and the risk is entirely yours. The devices have almost identical hardware but the slight difference in PCB P/Ns may be significant or not. So, on the strict understanding that although I feel we can at least recover it as a zumo if it gets bricked, the risk is still all yours. If you end up with a hard-bricked device you'll get my symphathy but that's all, so we proceed on that basis only. Look behind the spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    • Open the zip file anywhere convenient on your PC, desktop will do: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].
    • Open the folder "zumo660_to_aera5xx". Drag 0924.rgn onto Updater.exe and it will open with the RGN loaded. Enable 'USB Device', leave the GUI visible.
    • Connect a USB cable directly to a rear port of PC, don't use a hub.
    • Put the zumo in preboot by holding the lower left hand corner of the screen and connecting the USB cable to it, keep watching Updater's window next to USB Device.
    • Immediately you see the device details appear, press OK or hit Enter key on your kb.
    • Keep holding the screen with steady pressure until the flash finishes.
    • Cross your fingers that it boots as an aera.

Good luck!

Little FAIL ! But device not bricked and still work !

You can try the full aera firmware, but there is a far greater chance of bricking it. As that changes the HWID to 1063 and resets the region layout it makes it much harder to return to zumo if it goes wrong than it would be with zumo boot.bin and 0924 retained. Safer to stop now, it would be a quite courageous decision to go on. Fully at your discretion of course.

I've tried to load aera's firmware with HWID 0924 and result is the same like this!