Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

Default .Poi extension how to convert

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum

A friend of mine gave me .POI file (32 Mb in size) and asked me if I could convert it to .GPX / .CSV (so the extension is .POI)

I tried all programs I know and none of them can convert.

I opened the file with a Hex Editor and it's all "garbage" so no identifiable marks or text.

Anyone know who to open this ?

He said it was made by iGO but I have tried with the utilities and nothing worked.

Thanks in advance

Edit: Another question, are they even "convertable" ?
    Last edited by iammike; 19th December 2015 at 11:09 AM.

2.    Advertissements

Important User .Poi extension how to convert
    .Poi extension how to convert.Poi extension how to convert.Poi extension how to convert.Poi extension how to convert

I think .poi format is encrypted. Even if you can decrypted it, you have to decode the format.
    Last edited by osiris4isis; 4th January 2016 at 09:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by iammike View Post
    Sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum

A friend of mine gave me .POI file (32 Mb in size) and asked me if I could convert it to .GPX / .CSV (so the extension is .POI)

I tried all programs I know and none of them can convert.

I opened the file with a Hex Editor and it's all "garbage" so no identifiable marks or text.

Anyone know who to open this ?

He said it was made by iGO but I have tried with the utilities and nothing worked.

Thanks in advance

Edit: Another question, are they even "convertable" ?
    try this one
    Code:
    Please Login or Register to see the links
    Giving up smoking is the easiest thing in the world. I know because I've done it thousands of times.
    Mark Twain

Garmin/GPS Systems GMod. .Poi extension how to convert
    .Poi extension how to convert.Poi extension how to convert.Poi extension how to convert.Poi extension how to convert.Poi extension how to convert.Poi extension how to convert.Poi extension how to convert

If it's a Garmin Cyclops POI file, converters cannot extract the underlying info files because it's encrypted as said by osiris4isis. If it's a 3rd party POI file you can usually extract GPX/CSV info.

Post the file is the best starting point, because osiris4isis knows how to deal with some encrypted POI files ...
    'Thanking Posts' are banned. To thank someone, and/or to see hidden links and content, use the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] button below left of the helpful post then refresh your browser [F5 key]. 'Thanking Posts' are banned.
    Please don't spam. Posts serving no purpose other than to thank or to ask about hidden links are trashed or deleted, it's GPSPower's policy. Please don't spam.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] should make their first post as a new Intro Thread in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

.Poi extension how to convert.Poi extension how to convert.Poi extension how to convert.Poi extension how to convert

I thought he said it was an iGO file? My 2016 resolution is to crack iGO .poi

Garmin/GPS Systems GMod. .Poi extension how to convert
    .Poi extension how to convert.Poi extension how to convert.Poi extension how to convert.Poi extension how to convert.Poi extension how to convert.Poi extension how to convert.Poi extension how to convert

Ahh ... do iGO also have underlying GPX or CSV files? Maybe i misunderstood what iammike meant.
    'Thanking Posts' are banned. To thank someone, and/or to see hidden links and content, use the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] button below left of the helpful post then refresh your browser [F5 key]. 'Thanking Posts' are banned.
    Please don't spam. Posts serving no purpose other than to thank or to ask about hidden links are trashed or deleted, it's GPSPower's policy. Please don't spam.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] should make their first post as a new Intro Thread in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Ahh ... do iGO also have underlying GPX or CSV files? Maybe i misunderstood what iammike meant.
    The iGO .poi file contain the POIs for the map (shopping, lodging, airport, etc...) It is not user's POIs which is in KML format. Speedcam is in CSV like format with *.txt extension and are converted to .spud when iGO processed it. There are also vendors created speedcam in .spc or .spe format (like Cyclop .gpi for Garmin) I don't remember if .gpx is used (maybe for routes)
    Last edited by osiris4isis; 4th January 2016 at 12:31 PM.