Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Help please! I was successful updating the Quest 2 with the new maps, however, I have the following 2 error messages:

1. Can't unlock map's [OK]
    2. Detail Maps don't support routing [OK]

I did unlock the mapset with the utility listed above by Smulan

Just to be certain I am doing the unlock correctly this is what I did:

map files are in C:\Programdata\GARMIN\maps\City Navigator North America NT 2016.10.gmap

I placed Unlock_Mapset_2.exe in the above directory and executed the program.
    This created 188 files *.GMP
    Last edited by Neil; 7th September 2015 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Merged 2 consecutive posts. [Please use 'Edit' function rather than make another following post].

2.    Advertissements

Garmin/GPS Systems GMod. Updating a Garmin Quest 2 - Seems possible based on another thread updating a Garmin 2720?
    Updating a Garmin Quest 2 - Seems possible based on another thread updating a Garmin 2720?Updating a Garmin Quest 2 - Seems possible based on another thread updating a Garmin 2720?Updating a Garmin Quest 2 - Seems possible based on another thread updating a Garmin 2720?Updating a Garmin Quest 2 - Seems possible based on another thread updating a Garmin 2720?Updating a Garmin Quest 2 - Seems possible based on another thread updating a Garmin 2720?Updating a Garmin Quest 2 - Seems possible based on another thread updating a Garmin 2720?Updating a Garmin Quest 2 - Seems possible based on another thread updating a Garmin 2720?

Just do what i said in Post #9. Disable or replace your current [useless] AV and use UnLock MapSource Directory. There is nothing malicious about that piece of software at all!
    'Thanking Posts' are banned. To thank someone, and/or to see hidden links and content, use the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] button below left of the helpful post then refresh your browser [F5 key]. 'Thanking Posts' are banned.
    Please don't spam. Posts serving no purpose other than to thank or to ask about hidden links are trashed or deleted, it's GPSPower's policy. Please don't spam.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] should make their first post as a new Intro Thread in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

Default Success! Here is what i did

I did a complete de-installation of all Garmin software I had on my PC to ensure I had a clean installation. What helped clear up my problem was where to place the unlocker program and unlocking the maps before installing the program on my pc. The batch file was also important vs. opening a DOS screen and typing the commands manually.

1. Download the latest Garmin City Naviator NT maps (in this case I used the link provided by catymag earlier in the thread)
    2. I created a folder on my desktop (Windows 7) and named it Garmin Quest 2
    3. I placed Unlock_Mapset_2.exe into the folder on my Windows 7 Desktop - \Garmin Quest 2\City Navigator North America NT 2016.10.gmap\ and executed the unlocker program
    4. You should see a DOS window open showing progress of the unlock process
    5. With the unlock process completed I ran CityNavigatorNorthAmericaNT2016.10Update to install the program/maps on my PC
    6. Next I ran the MapInstall program (which is created by the above installation) and chose "Memory Card (F:\) as my device
    7. Choose "Continue" and you will see a map of the areas covered by your map set
    8. Choose the areas you want included in your map and click "Continue" - in my case I chose California and Nevada as this is for use on my motorcycle
    9. The next screen will show "Installing to Memory Card (F:\)" - "Map regions from these products will be installed on your device. This could take hours. Are you sure?" - Actually takes @ 5 minutes.
    10. The memory card will have a Garmin folder created and inside the Garmin folder a file "gmapsupp.img"
    11. Connect the Quest 2 GPS with the USB Cable
    12. Copy the gmapsupp.img from the memory card (F:\ in my case) to the "C:\Garmin folder"
    13. Rename gmapsupp.img to gmapprom.img
    14. In C:\Program Files (x86)\Garmin\ is a WebUpdater folder - copy this folder and the entire contents to C:\garmin\
    15. Create a new notepad document and paste this text in it
    16. C:\Garmin\WebUpdater\WebUpdater.exe /upload_file rgn=49 path=C:\Garmin\gmapprom.img -autorun usb /i *NOTE: the location of the "gmapprom.img" file - needs to match where the batch file is stating it is located.
    17. Save this text file with a name you want but, IMPORTANT, with the .bat extension. Quest2update.bat is the name I used.
    18. When you double-click the Quest2update.bat file, a command-line window should open up on your Desktop, plus WebUpdater should open and report that it's erasing your old maps and copying your new mapset into your Quest2. It will show you a "percent complete" indication as it goes along. When it's complete, WebUpdater will end and close the command-line window with it, at which point, your Quest2 will be updated with the newer maps.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Just do what i said in Post #9. Disable or replace your current [useless] AV and use UnLock MapSource Directory. There is nothing malicious about that piece of software at all!
    please check my steps above. What was not clear when reading the older threads was where to put the folder to put the unlocker program. By trial and error I placed it where noted above.

Garmin/GPS Systems GMod. Updating a Garmin Quest 2 - Seems possible based on another thread updating a Garmin 2720?
    Updating a Garmin Quest 2 - Seems possible based on another thread updating a Garmin 2720?Updating a Garmin Quest 2 - Seems possible based on another thread updating a Garmin 2720?Updating a Garmin Quest 2 - Seems possible based on another thread updating a Garmin 2720?Updating a Garmin Quest 2 - Seems possible based on another thread updating a Garmin 2720?Updating a Garmin Quest 2 - Seems possible based on another thread updating a Garmin 2720?Updating a Garmin Quest 2 - Seems possible based on another thread updating a Garmin 2720?Updating a Garmin Quest 2 - Seems possible based on another thread updating a Garmin 2720?

If done properly, there is absolutely no difference in using Command Prompt or a *.bat file to open a DOS window and execute a command. It's just that using a bat file is often easier for many ppl as i suggested that your AZ neighbour do [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]. Also it makes no difference whether you unlock the *.gmap folder before or after using the CityNavigatorNorthAmericaNT2016.10Update.msi to install, or even if you just manually copy and paste the .gmap folder according to your OS and then unlock: For XP - C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\GARMIN\Maps or for Vista/7/8/8.1/10 - C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Maps.

Regardless, thanks for your detailed report and letting us know that you've solved your problem. Thread marked [Solved] accordingly. BTW, you could have 'skipped the middle man' with the image file sent by WU and simply sent a compiled image directly to the Quest 2's internal memory in the usual way. MapInstall or MapSource will tell you the size of the image you're compiling so you don't exceed the space available, e.g. [again as compiled for AZ neighbour severely challenged by MapInstall ]:

MI AZ surrounds
    But, you got there anyway.
    'Thanking Posts' are banned. To thank someone, and/or to see hidden links and content, use the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] button below left of the helpful post then refresh your browser [F5 key]. 'Thanking Posts' are banned.
    Please don't spam. Posts serving no purpose other than to thank or to ask about hidden links are trashed or deleted, it's GPSPower's policy. Please don't spam.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] should make their first post as a new Intro Thread in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].