Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
    Important User How to know which files my Garmin device supports and which files I need to update.
    How to know which files my Garmin device supports and which files I need to update.How to know which files my Garmin device supports and which files I need to update.How to know which files my Garmin device supports and which files I need to update.How to know which files my Garmin device supports and which files I need to update.How to know which files my Garmin device supports and which files I need to update.How to know which files my Garmin device supports and which files I need to update.How to know which files my Garmin device supports and which files I need to update.

bulb How to know which files my Garmin device supports and which files I need to update.

How to know which files my Garmin device supports, which files I need to update and where to put them.

At every new release of an Asian map (and others), we have a bunch of posts like: "Which files for my nuvi xxx?
    As we repeated the following many times and sometimes we don't have your devices and we don't have a crystal ball, here it is how to know it immediately without asking on forum.

Attach your GPS to comuter via usb.
    Open Garmin folder.
    Locate GarminDevice.xml and open it with any internet browser.

You will see that the .xml file contains all the names, extensions, internal memory paths, sd paths etc. of every supported files in your devices.
    Pressing F3 or Ctrl + F keys on the keyboard brings up a search box and you can then look for 'IMG', 'JCV', 'VPM' or lesser used files to see if the file type is supported and if so its correct path both for internal memory and sd card too.
    Here's a screen of the first part of a GarminDevice.xml from a NA purchased nuvi 3597 for example, but a full file is much longer:

Spoiler: Click to Show
    Garmin nuvi 3797 XML

Additionally, looking at your device's currently loaded files can also help to quickly identify which new files are required to match an updated map version and verify the proper placement. Continuing with JCV for example, look for both the present location and similar naming of an existing file, [eg: D1234x0A.jcv where x is a changed digit], and the pixel picture-size of a file from a previous update to match with that currently available (e.g. 480 x 270, 212 x 234).
    l9ebnsm
    You have to navigate to get to the good.

Galaxy S5 Kitkat 4.4.2 / Nuvi1200->1250 / Nuvi3790T->34xx / Nuvi 2200 / Nuvi 66 / Oregon 600

2.    Advertissements

Navigation software expert How to know which files my Garmin device supports and which files I need to update.
    How to know which files my Garmin device supports and which files I need to update.How to know which files my Garmin device supports and which files I need to update.How to know which files my Garmin device supports and which files I need to update.

I am using this WINHEX script for generating of report:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

like this:

Code:
    Please Login or Register to see the links
    If anybody more clever than I maybe you can see more conventional tools

P.S. Updated to version 201508
    Added support for recognition of:

Code:
    Please Login or Register to see the links
    Attached Files Attached Files
    • This post requires you to click the "LIKE this post" button to see Attachments.
    Last edited by Giomen; 11th August 2015 at 01:36 AM.
    Garmin, how much is 30 pieces of silver for Judas today? Were they worthy for crucifix of GPSPower?

Important User How to know which files my Garmin device supports and which files I need to update.
    How to know which files my Garmin device supports and which files I need to update.How to know which files my Garmin device supports and which files I need to update.How to know which files my Garmin device supports and which files I need to update.How to know which files my Garmin device supports and which files I need to update.

So the naming of the file has to be same as what's in .xml or Garmin won't use it?

Garmin/GPS Systems GMod. How to know which files my Garmin device supports and which files I need to update.
    How to know which files my Garmin device supports and which files I need to update.How to know which files my Garmin device supports and which files I need to update.How to know which files my Garmin device supports and which files I need to update.How to know which files my Garmin device supports and which files I need to update.How to know which files my Garmin device supports and which files I need to update.How to know which files my Garmin device supports and which files I need to update.How to know which files my Garmin device supports and which files I need to update.

Certainly the extension name must conform, which is what i think you are asking, but not necessarily the file name itself depending on the type of file and in some cases the unit in which they're used.
    'Thanking Posts' are banned. To thank someone, and/or to see hidden links and content, use the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] button below left of the helpful post then refresh your browser [F5 key]. 'Thanking Posts' are banned.
    Please don't spam. Posts serving no purpose other than to thank or to ask about hidden links are trashed or deleted, it's GPSPower's policy. Please don't spam.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] should make their first post as a new Intro Thread in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

Navigation software expert How to know which files my Garmin device supports and which files I need to update.
    How to know which files my Garmin device supports and which files I need to update.How to know which files my Garmin device supports and which files I need to update.How to know which files my Garmin device supports and which files I need to update.

New version of WINHEX script is in post #2 with support of PPD_GHTP: FastRoutingGhtp and TR2: TR2.
    Garmin, how much is 30 pieces of silver for Judas today? Were they worthy for crucifix of GPSPower?