Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Garmin/GPS Systems GMod. Errors when doing SEARCH [and other interesting or fanciful subjects]
    Errors when doing SEARCH [and other interesting or fanciful subjects]Errors when doing SEARCH [and other interesting or fanciful subjects]Errors when doing SEARCH [and other interesting or fanciful subjects]Errors when doing SEARCH [and other interesting or fanciful subjects]Errors when doing SEARCH [and other interesting or fanciful subjects]Errors when doing SEARCH [and other interesting or fanciful subjects]Errors when doing SEARCH [and other interesting or fanciful subjects]

Just saw your edit sorry. Don't worry about using GarminExpress anyway, it's still too flaky at present imo even if you do decide to flick Win3.1 eventually . [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] [or GE] will automatically detect the current fw version when the unit's connected and download the latest which it will place in your unit's Garmin folder as GUPDATE.GCD. On the next boot, the unit will update itself. You can do the same without the Garmin software by simply renaming nuvi7x5_GCDFile__450.gcd and placing it there manually. Or you can drag nuvi7x5_GCDFile__450.gcd onto the WU icon on your desktop and it'll do it for you provided the unit's connected to the PC.

I personally dislike using gupdate.gcd, although it's the easiest way to update. I prefer to use [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] and [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] and an rgn firmware file [another story].

A bit of info about GE, it's a one-stop-shop software which [should] inter alia combine the purposes of WU [update of firmware and softs such as voices etc] and MapUpdater [which will update any maps to which the unit's entitled of course]. WU can't update maps, but in certain circumstances MU may prompt you to update fw before maps.
    'Thanking Posts' are banned. To thank someone, and/or to see hidden links and content, use the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] button below left of the helpful post then refresh your browser [F5 key]. 'Thanking Posts' are banned.
    Please don't spam. Posts serving no purpose other than to thank or to ask about hidden links are trashed or deleted, it's GPSPower's policy. Please don't spam.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] should make their first post as a new Intro Thread in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

2.    Advertissements

Important User Errors when doing SEARCH [and other interesting or fanciful subjects]
    Errors when doing SEARCH [and other interesting or fanciful subjects]Errors when doing SEARCH [and other interesting or fanciful subjects]Errors when doing SEARCH [and other interesting or fanciful subjects]Errors when doing SEARCH [and other interesting or fanciful subjects]

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Just saw your edit sorry. Don't worry about using GarminExpress anyway, it's still too flaky at present imo even if you do decide to flick Win3.1 eventually . [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] [or GE] will automatically detect the current fw version when the unit's connected and download the latest which it will place in your unit's Garmin folder as GUPDATE.GCD. On the next boot, the unit will update itself. You can do the same without the Garmin software by simply renaming nuvi7x5_GCDFile__450.gcd and placing it there manually. Or you can drag nuvi7x5_GCDFile__450.gcd onto the WU icon on your desktop and it'll do it for you provided the unit's connected to the PC.

I personally dislike using gupdate.gcd, although it's the easiest way to update. I prefer to use [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] and [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] and an rgn firmware file [another story].

A bit of info about GE, it's a one-stop-shop software which [should] inter alia combine the purposes of WU [update of firmware and softs such as voices etc] and MapUpdater [which will update any maps to which the unit's entitled of course]. WU can't update maps, but in certain circumstances MU may prompt you to update fw before maps.
    Thanks "Mate!" Anyway to backup my current firmware (and configuration) before doing the update? Also do you have any Nuvi with U.S. map? I need to check out something with Truckdown poi but they are outside TX and I don't have access to unit with map outside of TX.

Garmin/GPS Systems GMod. Errors when doing SEARCH [and other interesting or fanciful subjects]
    Errors when doing SEARCH [and other interesting or fanciful subjects]Errors when doing SEARCH [and other interesting or fanciful subjects]Errors when doing SEARCH [and other interesting or fanciful subjects]Errors when doing SEARCH [and other interesting or fanciful subjects]Errors when doing SEARCH [and other interesting or fanciful subjects]Errors when doing SEARCH [and other interesting or fanciful subjects]Errors when doing SEARCH [and other interesting or fanciful subjects]

No need to backup the firmware as such, versions are freely available anyway. More important to back up [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] and your unit's internal file system fully. If you just want to preserve and restore your 'favorites' following a reset, restore the current.gpx in Garmin/GPX folder.

I have 3 units with US/NA LM. nuvi 40, 1450 and 3597. I don't bother updating them all the time but easily can if you require a unit running the current map. Also have a a few 310 and 6x0 and one 765 NA model but they're not LM [not a problem anyway of course] Can also run any of my other AU/EU units with a US map. If it's not going to be too time consuming let me know what you want tested. I would make the point though that you only need to place the portion required or the entire US or NA map on an SD card [x:/Garmin/gmapsupp.img] to use it. Use a minimum 4GB card and there's no problem at all to fit all US/CA/MX.

PS: Native Texans with a self-depreciating sense of 'humor' are rare imo. Were you born in a Northern State? Notice i left the 'u' our of favourites and humour. I did that just to humour you ... sorry, humor you.
    'Thanking Posts' are banned. To thank someone, and/or to see hidden links and content, use the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] button below left of the helpful post then refresh your browser [F5 key]. 'Thanking Posts' are banned.
    Please don't spam. Posts serving no purpose other than to thank or to ask about hidden links are trashed or deleted, it's GPSPower's policy. Please don't spam.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] should make their first post as a new Intro Thread in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

Important User Errors when doing SEARCH [and other interesting or fanciful subjects]
    Errors when doing SEARCH [and other interesting or fanciful subjects]Errors when doing SEARCH [and other interesting or fanciful subjects]Errors when doing SEARCH [and other interesting or fanciful subjects]Errors when doing SEARCH [and other interesting or fanciful subjects]

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    No need to backup the firmware as such, versions are freely available anyway. More important to back up [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] and your unit's internal file system fully. If you just want to preserve and restore your 'favorites' following a reset, restore the current.gpx in Garmin/GPX folder.

I have 3 units with US/NA LM. nuvi 40, 1450 and 3597. I don't bother updating them all the time but easily can if you require a unit running the current map. Also have a a few 310 and 6x0 and one 765 NA model but they're not LM [not a problem anyway of course] Can also run any of my other AU/EU units with a US map. If it's not going to be too time consuming let me know what you want tested. I would make the point though that you only need to place the portion required or the entire US or NA map on an SD card [x:/Garmin/gmapsupp.img] to use it. Use a minimum 4GB card and there's no problem at all to fit all US/CA/MX.

PS: Native Texans with a self-depreciating sense of 'humor' are rare imo. Were you born in a Northern State? Notice i left the 'u' our of favourites and humour. I did that just to humour you ... sorry, humor you.
    Sorry mate, I was born outside U.S. but live pretty much in LA and TX for all my life. Actually I kind of like the 'u' in those words, I also think accents are great esp from the Brit or Aussie. Canadians are also funny.

After re-examining the hex data from TruckDown, I noticed it uses alert type of 3 only for it's weigh (ok, I leave of the 't' for you) stations. It also has a 8000 m (5 miles) range. That is quite a large radius. None of the alerts are in TX, so I can't test it on my Nuvi nor Streetpilot. I need to know what sort of behavior this alert does. Remember you can only have alert of 0=proximity-360, 1=along-road, 2=tourguide when using Content Creator Toolkit to make the .gpi, so a value of 3 is custom built by a different tool.
    If you would please put the attached TruckDown .gpi in your N.A. units (preferably one of the series designed to take it) and check to see the behavior of driving to anyone of the weigh station POI/alert (make sure you are at least 8100m away and are driving in both directions) Since the alert have long range, I wonder if it showed up when not in routing/simulation, as compare to other TruckDown POI categories such as:
    hist(cat,Mobile Services) = 9845
    hist(cat,Parts & Equip) = 3338
    hist(cat,Scales) = 1628
    hist(cat,Services) = 1466
    hist(cat,Tires) = 7001
    hist(cat,Towing) = 4826
    hist(cat,Trailer Repair) = 4094
    hist(cat,Truck Repair) = 14259
    hist(cat,Truck Stops) = 3030
    hist(cat,Weigh Stations) = 34 <- only this category have alert
    Spoiler: .

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Code:
    Please Login or Register to see the links
    Attached Files Attached Files
    • This post requires you to click the "LIKE this post" button to see Attachments.
    Last edited by osiris4isis; 5th May 2015 at 09:43 PM.

OK, i'll test in a nuvi 465 or dezl 560 as they're truck-specific units. Might be in few day or so, unless someone else sticks up their hand as i'm a bit busy with other things right now. Hold tight.

PS: We call 'em weigh stations out here too.

I've used an AU nuvi 456 [truck profile] and an NA 3597 [car profile] to navigate from 2 directions on Hwy 33 past the first WS in your list behind spoiler, Sage Junction Idaho. Alert triggers both ways at ~5 mile out navigating E to W and W to E. [Results are similar for both units, except the the 3597 gives repeated warnings after 5ml initial alert and 465 gives single only at ~5ml [both set for single alert]. All screenshots are from the 465.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

In the 3597 the Weigh Station Symbol is a much smaller blue/white one and shows at the actual location, whereas the 465 shows the large symbol in the lower left crn of the screen as pictured. The head of the arrow i've drawn indicates the approx actual position of the weigh station just to the NE of the intersection of Hwy 33 and Interstate 15. As i'm not at the actual location it's not possible to drive past except in simulation of course. [Pretty good specials on at present for airfares Oz to Stateside though so just gimme your credit card details for the flight, accom., hire car and some gas money and i'll do a real-time real-life on-the-ground drive-by test on every single one of those weigh stations for you OK? Shouldn't take more that a few months and i promise to stay at Motel6 or Super 8 if possible].

Do you need any more testing done in simulation or is that one test conclusive enough for you?

PS: About this:
    ..... I also think accents are great esp from the Brit or Aussie. Canadians are also funny. ...
    A favourite sport of mine is to intentionally tease canucks by asking them what part of the U.S. they're from. Some pole around nicely. My best 'party trick' was when i asked a [slightly loud/'Foghorn Leghorn' sound alike] Texan this question 'What part of Canada are you from mate? You Hosers all sound alike to me'. I gave his Aussie missus a surreptitious wink when i said it and she got the giggles big-time [she said later she nearly wet herself trying not to laugh]. He looked like he was pole-axed for a few seconds and then treated me like i was some sort of dangerous mental-defective for a while. He got the joke later, but it had to be explained to him. I do like Texans generally though, straight-shooters mostly and won't p*ss in your pocket. You know exactly where you stand with TX natives, same as folk from NM. And btw, it's actually you blokes and the CA dwellers wot talk 'funny', not us. 'That's not a joke, ah say, that's not a joke son'

Thanks Neil, good info collected; no more test needed. It confirmed what I was suspecting. It's cool that this type of alert works while TourGuide doesn't on android StreetPilot. But it has to be kludge since you can't build it using PoiLoader nor Garmin Creation Toolkit.

Can't speak for any Texan native since I'm not one, but I do live in an area that I like. Texas is a red state (that's Republican) for a while and I'm more of a centrus Democrat. I would think most Texans are respectful and kind, but they do have their strong "conservative" views. There are exception like the motorcycle gangs* shoot out at Waco this week (all started by a "restroom scuffle"; looks like someone wanted to make someone else their b*tch) [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Oi, as for accent, you say "potato", I say "tomato", but we both love them in beef stew eh?

*What kind of stupid gang names are "Bandidos" and "Cossacks"; not like the "Hell's Angels" an oldies but goodies. **Cranking up Jupas Priest's "Leather Rebel" from my favorite album "Painkiller" ** If I had my own moto-gang, I would call it "Heaven's Demons" or "Hell's Rebels"

Last edited by osiris4isis; 19th May 2015 at 10:19 PM.

Umm, sorry. Don't think i'd be tempted to hitch my Harley to your Heaven's Demons wagon-train, but Hell's Rebels has a nice ring to it [maybe an amalgamation of Hell's Angels and Rebels gangs? - Yep, we got both here] ... The Finks here patched over to the Mongols but they're still just called Mongols and that's another story [i reckon 'Mongol Finks' was a bit much even for outlaw bikies]. Btw, Waco is getting quite a name for itself for all the wrong reasons. Bad reps don't seem to go away quick over there, Salem's still hasn't recovered from hanging/squashing witches way back over 300 years ago ..... but i don't think they want us to forget that, they make tourist dollars from it now. Can't see that happening for Waco though [you need self-righteous massacres, a la the Alamo - compound sieges and carpark shootouts just won't cut it].

Ok, moved this over to 'GPS Free Talk' section so if ripping the volume knob off for Judas Priest hasn't sent you blind as well as deaf we can now bang on about poisoned town names, beef stew and bikies to our hearts' content.

Personally I think Waco should be renamed Wacko. But then the foreigners already pronounced it that way, eh *cough* mate? There are a few gun right nuts running around wanting open carry gun law in Texas. Ugh, these are the same nuts who think they got something out of the CHL (Concealed Handgun License) class. Which the first thing the teacher (of my class) said was "you don't want to provoke fighting by showing your weapon." And I failed to see the so call right to carry "assault rifle" in public as the right of Second Amendment. Shouldn't of seen the face of a mother seeing a guy carrying AR15 in a grocery store; like an episode of the Walking Dead *sic*
    Last edited by osiris4isis; 20th May 2015 at 01:35 AM.

Actually, we pronounce it 'way co' [same as the camping fridges, waeco] but i likes your 'wacko' idea.

Semiautomatics have been banned here for nearly 20 years now following the ['waco'] Martin Bryant's massacre at Port Arthur. He used an AR15 and an Australian built L1A1 7.62mm SRL, a version of the Belgian FN FAL. I've had plenty of use of an SLR and fired an M16 a few times [M16 is similar to the AR15, both AmorLite derivatives using 5.56mm cartridge], never in anger though only on Army ranges. I know what those things can do and i can say for sure that Bryant wasn't a crack shot or he'd have been able kill far more than he did assuming he was really trying as he said. Another thing i can say for sure is that given the opportunity i and many more here would put a gun to that viper's head and cheerfully blow his brains out. He shot kids in cold-blood for f*** sake. I once shot a dingo gone mad with canine distemper right between the eyes and still feel bad about that [always will], but that foul mongrel child-killing Bryant wouldn't invoke a scrap of regret if i got to do the same to him.

There's many things i like about the US, and only a few i don't. The so-called 'right to bear arms' has to be right at the top of my list of those i don't like.