Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

Smile Speed camera voice alerts

Hi. I am new to this site and this is my first post.

I have been using my old nokia phone with nokia maps loaded onto it for offline use for 6 years.
    It used to be adequate for my needs but is no longer updated (for a couple of years), and the screen is so small I can't read the text anymore.

I decided to get a proper sat nav, choosing the Garmin nuvi 2699.
    I have not had much chance to use it at the moment.

The one thing that really annoys me with it, is the fact that it only pings for alerts such as speed cameras etc.
    My 6 year old nokia with free nokia maps is far better for notifications, such as "speed camera ahead"

I downloaded a poi for speed cameras with voice alerts from the net, which did not work.

Has anyone got a solution to help me, as this would be far better than ping ping ping! which drives me mad.

Thanks

2.    Advertissements

Garmin/GPS Systems GMod. Speed camera voice alerts
    Speed camera voice alertsSpeed camera voice alertsSpeed camera voice alertsSpeed camera voice alertsSpeed camera voice alertsSpeed camera voice alertsSpeed camera voice alerts

G'day waynee, welcome to GPSPower.
    The Garmin Cyclops GPI files are encrypted so not easy to de-compile them.

Other 3rd party files without voice warnings can usually be separated into their underlying location [GPX/CSV] files and then recompiled using POI software with a compatible sound file [WAV/MP3] suitable for your unit. Have a look in the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ], scroll down to 'Working with pois and favorites' and the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ], scroll down to 'Pois Management Tools'.
    'Thanking Posts' are banned. To thank someone, and/or to see hidden links and content, use the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] button below left of the helpful post then refresh your browser [F5 key]. 'Thanking Posts' are banned.
    Please don't spam. Posts serving no purpose other than to thank or to ask about hidden links are trashed or deleted, it's GPSPower's policy. Please don't spam.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] should make their first post as a new Intro Thread in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

Important User Speed camera voice alerts
    Speed camera voice alertsSpeed camera voice alertsSpeed camera voice alertsSpeed camera voice alerts

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    G'day waynee, welcome to GPSPower.
    The Garmin Cyclops GPI files are encrypted so not easy to de-compile them.
    Well this is what I know (so far), after decrypting them, you won't get any other sounds nor voices for Cyclop working. This is because it uses a proprietary record type (that the firmware can interpret) So unless you can change the firmware as well, it's a no go. Only other solution is to extract alert data then rebuild using generic alert record type (adding your own sounds/voices) that are used in PoiLoader.